PDA

View Full Version : Showdown: air combat

Ed6269
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I think the show is very well done. The episode airing last sunday in the U.S. was P38 Vs. Zero; **** bong's career. I thought it was great
Mmmm?

Ed6269
06-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I think the show is very well done. The episode airing last sunday in the U.S. was P38 Vs. Zero; **** bong's career. I thought it was great
Mmmm?

Freiwillige
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
You know I really looked forward to this show but in the end it doesnt do much for me. In the preveiws it looked like they were gonna actually relive the dogfights but as usuall they just fly straightish at medium power. I know these are million dollar relics but damn just pull a few G's. Nothing you cant see at an airshow.

Ed6269
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
I figured they'd use CG, but I thought the whole thing was integrated nicely.

H-Rebel
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Best show I have seen is Dogfights on the History Channel, talks to real pilots who describe their fights that are recreated with great CG graphics.
One guy flew fighters in WW2 Korea & 'Nam, he was at the cutting edge of technology for about 3 decades, also had some angels looking out for him, or maybe he was just super badass http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

CzechTexan
06-25-2008, 09:19 AM
After seeing Dogfights and Battle 360 I was expecting this new show to be even better than those two. I have to say I am disappointed though. It's nice to see the real planes flying but like mentioned previously but they just fly straight and level which doesn't do much for me. Many scenes are shown over and over and the CG is not as good IMO.
They get a plus for the pilots' stories which are really good and each airplane description is very good.

crucislancer
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I had high hopes for this one, too. But, it's just ok. I'll continue to watch it, just to see some warbirds, at the very least.

Ronbo3
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I too was looking forward to this show. Id give it a C rating. I would have liked better sound from the P38 and Zero. both have an awesome and unique sound. Most of it I already knew as information. Nice that they included the unique throttle jockeying method used with the P38.

the previous episode with F86/Mig15 was ok as well. They should have used dogights CG experts on these. It would have enhanced it 10 fold.

On a side note, is it me or was this a partial ad for promoting the F22 Raptor??? Seemed alot of comparisions to our most modern and new jet fighter....

crucislancer
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ronbo3:
On a side note, is it me or was this a partial ad for promoting the F22 Raptor??? Seemed alot of comparisions to our most modern and new jet fighter.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the host is a Raptor pilot, that might have something to do with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

StellarRat
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
The problem with the show is that having the "real planes" doesn't add much to the understanding of what's going on. Dogfights did a much better job of showing the actual battle with their CGI. Showdown does a better job of explaining the differences between the planes and the pilots. It's almost like you need to fuse the two shows together.

Freiwillige
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Yea that was another peave of mine was every other word out of this guys mouth was Raptor this and F-22 that blah blah, They do compare everything to the raptor dont they? Yea I wish they would have cranked and banked that zero all over the sky while the p-38 was doing high speed dives at it.....LOL that will never happen.

Ba5tard5word
06-26-2008, 12:58 AM
best aircraft documentary show I've seen was the old Wings series on the Discovery Channel (back when the Discovery Channel was kind of ok to watch)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVcF_Hy9gaI

Ronbo3
06-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Sundays episode revealed that the selector switch for the mg and cannon are on the throttle. It looks like the weapons are selected separately and not in tandem...

Freiwillige
06-30-2008, 02:30 AM
On the zero yes, Odd its on the throttle http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

stalkervision
06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
You know I really looked forward to this show but in the end it doesnt do much for me. In the preveiws it looked like they were gonna actually relive the dogfights but as usuall they just fly straightish at medium power. I know these are million dollar relics but damn just pull a few G's. Nothing you cant see at an airshow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

leitmotiv
06-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Makes "Dogfights" look like ☆☆☆☆☆.

Jaggy.
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Just caught this show now, a few minutes left. Best part IMO was when he got in the cockpits for the first time. The little details mentioned was great, as posted earlier in this thread. The P-38 unique throttles and the trigger on the throttle in the Zero. Also the pilot in the Zero has to load the guns. Interesting stuff.

Freiwillige
07-02-2008, 01:51 AM
not load the guns just **** them.

Jaggy.
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah thats what I mean't, but was censored like you are. In other words, the Zero pilot had to c0ck the guns.

Gibbage1
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Not many people here know this, since my post was DELETED, but I work on this show. I do the 3D modeling for the CGI. Sadly, they dont have the budget to animate it fully. Besides, the REAL starts of the show are the aircraft itself. I was there the day we filmed at Chino. They sunk a lot of money into filming the real aircraft. They modified a B-25 and put a gyro camera in the tail turret, and flew the aircraft behind it.

As for the people who were NOT impressed with the acrobatics, go crying to the FAA. They limit was you can do. Even so, they pushed the limits and even broke a few rules to get the shots we did. Think about it. There is a shot in the F-86 vs Mig15 show were the two aircraft pass head-on. Both aircraft are flying at 250-300MPH (slow for jets) but thats an insane closing speed head-on. Not only that, but the F-86 was following a B-25! And the Mig was still VERY close. The pilots did a good job with the limits put on them not only from the vintage aircraft, but the FAA.

The flying they did in the last show Zero vs F4F was fantastic. They did some nice tail chasing around a helicopter camera platform that came out great! It REALLY shows off how nimble both aircraft was, and really. When was the last time you have seen two vintage warbirds pulling G's on each others tail?

For those who dont like it? O well. We cant please everyone, and its especially hard trying to please hard-core fans. But this is a very unique show. As one pointed out, you DO get to learn things like the Zero's gun switch that I didnt even know!

Who wants to be the 1st to write up a bug in IL2 that you should not be able to fire both the canon's and MG's in a Zero? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

For anyone who is interested, here are some photo's from the shoot.

http://www.gibbageart.com/files/chino/100_0778s.JPG

http://www.gibbageart.com/files/chino/100_0825s.JPG

idonno
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
OK Gibbage, I'm jealous. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Gibbage1
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idonno:
OK Gibbage, I'm jealous. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. I almost got beaned in the head when a P-38 taxied by. Pitot passed right in front of my eyes. Yes, be jealous. VERY jealous.

WTE_Galway
07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
There was a series made back in the 90's (forgotten the name, but it was on cable and pre "wings")that was excellent. Basically the pilot/commentator jumped in the WWII fighter of choice for the day and went through a full preflight, engine startup procedure, takeoff some aerobatics including stalls and spin recovery and then a standard landing and taxi to the apron commenting the whole time calmly and professionally in language that seemed to assume the viewer was either a pilot or aviation enthusiast the good and bad points of the current ride. The p38 episode was exceptional.

I have noticed a tendency lately for aviation shows to instead target the "mum and dad from the suburbs" with lots of enthusiastic superlatives and comments about "awesome this" and "amazing that" almost sports commentator style but no real technical information.

Gibbage1
07-03-2008, 09:25 PM
There is a series called "Roaring glory" thats out on DVD. I have the P-38 series. Steve Hinton who piloted many of the aircraft in Showdown, and helped me model quite a few of the IL2 models, is also in that series. It sounds like what your talking about, but I dont think it ever aired?

Steve is a great pilot. Very professional, and his collection is 2nd to NONE. He has more flight time in a P-38 then anyone. The only man trusted to fly BOTH Glacier Girl and White Lightnin on there maiden flights. He's also has a few interviews in Showdown. He ownes many of the aircraft in Chino, and likes to fly them often.

WTE_Galway
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gibbage1:
There is a series called "Roaring glory" thats out on DVD. I have the P-38 series. Steve Hinton who piloted many of the aircraft in Showdown, and helped me model quite a few of the IL2 models, is also in that series. It sounds like what your talking about, but I dont think it ever aired?

Steve is a great pilot. Very professional, and his collection is 2nd to NONE. He has more flight time in a P-38 then anyone. The only man trusted to fly BOTH Glacier Girl and White Lightnin on there maiden flights. He's also has a few interviews in Showdown. He ownes many of the aircraft in Chino, and likes to fly them often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds familiar. It is possibly something I saw at a friends place on video/DVD rather than cable, I know it was quite some time ago as I do recall I was still flying myself at the time and I have been grounded by diabetes for ages now.

It impressed me as being the sort of way an aviation documentary should be. I might try and buy a couple of episodes of "Roaring Glory" on DVD and see if its the same show.

The early Wings episodes from the mid 90's were also good, however Wings also deteriorated into a "gee whizz wow" circus format towards the end.

Gibbage1
07-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I liked the series myself. I thought it was very good, and it is! Its very good for hardcore flight buffs. The problem is, seeing how small the flight sim industry is, there are not that many hard-core flight buffs. Making a TV series to cater to only them is bad marketing. You need to hit a mix of your hard-core, general audience, and novice alike. Unfortunately, that tends to alienate the hard-core fans. Yes, we wont count the rivits on an F4F for ya, but that would boar the tears out of 99% of the rest of the population.

WTE_Galway
07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gibbage1:
I liked the series myself. I thought it was very good, and it is! Its very good for hardcore flight buffs. The problem is, seeing how small the flight sim industry is, there are not that many hard-core flight buffs. Making a TV series to cater to only them is bad marketing. You need to hit a mix of your hard-core, general audience, and novice alike. Unfortunately, that tends to alienate the hard-core fans. Yes, we wont count the rivits on an F4F for ya, but that would boar the tears out of 99% of the rest of the population. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, although I suspect between simmers, the actual real world pilot community, young people interested in aviation and the odd historical aircraft enthusiasts there may actually be enough audience.

Networking marketing guru's/executives seem in recent years to focus so much on "mom and dad from the mid west" that free to air TV has turned into a fairly predictable collection of mainly reality shows, sport, romance soaps and crime/forensics dramas with very little room for anything different.

Ronbo3
07-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Steve is a great pilot. Very professional, and his collection is 2nd to NONE. He has more flight time in a P-38 then anyone. The only man trusted to fly BOTH Glacier Girl and White Lightnin on there maiden flights. He's also has a few interviews in Showdown. He ownes many of the aircraft in Chino, and likes to fly them often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve is also a high time warbird pilot, experienced Reno race pilot and pilots the pace aircraft for the races.

A good set to have is the Hunters of the Sky series, on VHS. If i can figure out how to convert it to DVD, life would be good. I also have a set with P51,B29,B17,P38, hellcat that is good, IIRC.... also on vhs. i have a dvd/vcr combo that record to and from, but its that dang copyright crap....

Ed6269
07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
How many are they going to make? In the States, the show did not air for the 4th of July weekend.
Again, it's a real pleasure seeing the vintage birds, a lot of the details were very fun to notice, like the gun paddles on the throttle on the zeke, the cockpits. I thought the sound was great, particularly with the graphics on the Mig 15. I think you guys did a great job. I don't know what people want; an actual mid-air collision, or setting them on fire, or what.

Gibbage1
07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed6269:
How many are they going to make? In the States, the show did not air for the 4th of July weekend.
Again, it's a real pleasure seeing the vintage birds, a lot of the details were very fun to notice, like the gun paddles on the throttle on the zeke, the cockpits. I thought the sound was great, particularly with the graphics on the Mig 15. I think you guys did a great job. I don't know what people want; an actual mid-air collision, or setting them on fire, or what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Currently, there are 12 episodes planned for the season. Some to look forward too are P-47 vs FW-190, P-51 vs 109, and Spad vs Albatross. The last episode is a special on the F-22.