PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel = Death?

enigma1978
12-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi
I've just recently aquired the snorkel. Now, what can I use it for? I have no watch when snorkelig, so an enemy plane detecting me always means close bombings, and and every time I take damage. Is there a way to use it properly in the game? It feens like I need to wait for the radar warning reciever. Now it's more dangerous snorkeling than running on the surface.

I've seen few threads on the subject, but none of them really up to date. How are you using the snorkel in mid 1944?

enigma1978
12-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi
I've just recently aquired the snorkel. Now, what can I use it for? I have no watch when snorkelig, so an enemy plane detecting me always means close bombings, and and every time I take damage. Is there a way to use it properly in the game? It feens like I need to wait for the radar warning reciever. Now it's more dangerous snorkeling than running on the surface.

I've seen few threads on the subject, but none of them really up to date. How are you using the snorkel in mid 1944?

Maverick_U2007
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I cannot give you a difinitive answer to your question...but my rule of 'thumb' for Mid 1944 is not to stick anything out of the water when there is any chance of the enemy being around...far too many deaths because of it.

Maverick

Stingray-65
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I've found the best way for me to use the snorkel is to run deep enough so that very little of it is exposed above the surface. You can check sometimes (if light allows) by rotating a periscope to view it. Don't worry too much about waves washing over it intermittently. As long as your engine crew stays in the diesel compartment, it should work fine.

To avoid being detected by planes while using it, I try to only use it at night (I run on a schedule) or in low visibility situations (stormy weather, etc.) I believe the radar warning detectors/receivers only work while you're surfaced, so they won't tell you while you're submerged if your snorkel has been detected by radar.

If you are in an area where you hear a lot of traffic, you might try using it only in short sessions while hydrophone contacts are at long range.

Hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Messervy
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
There should be a "snorkel fix" file somewhere on the net.

The original game's radar signature of the snorkel is a size of a barn and that's why you allways get detected.

uniquewave
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Implementation of Late War Sensors in GWX GWX implements two new sensor antennas:
1. FuMB-3 Bali: All type VII and Type IX U-boats and their variants mount this antenna on their schnorchel starting in October 1944 as part of the FuMB-29 Bali-Anlage.
2. FuMB-37 Leros: All Type XXI U-boats mount this antenna atop their schnorchel starting in January 1945 (GWX Manual).

If you use the Grey Wolves mod you have the option to install sensors on the schnorchel through the mod enabler. Check out the GWX manual for information and if you don't use that mod - get it. Does anyone know if the Schnorchel radar sig. is fixed in GWX?

uniquewave
12-17-2009, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by enigma1978:
Hi

I've seen few threads on the subject, but none of them really up to date. How are you using the snorkel in mid 1944? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are asking about using it before the sensors are available I guess the only way is to find a mod that would reduce the signature.

Kaleun1961
12-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't know if it would work in the real game, but I believe that when running the schnorkel someone would also be monitoring the surface through the observation scope. It would leave no more of a wake than the main scope or schnorkel. Of course, at night time it would be useless but in daylight you might be able to spot an aircraft with the observation scope.

enigma1978
12-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Ok, thanks for your replies! I'm running GWX, so I guess the "barn size signature" is fixed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

One good thing about the snorkel is that it makes me faster in bad weather. With winds of 15 m/s the boat now and then goes under the big wawes, and my crew is manning the electrical engines, which makes the speed somtimes go down as low as 3-4 KTS, and then up to 12-14 KTS again, and all this in pretty short time intervals. If I run with raised snorkel I keep the speed around 12-14 KTS all the time!

Btw, I altered the TC-value in data/cfg/main.cfg, so that when an enemy sees me the TC drops to 1. That way I simulate a watch on the scope detecting the enemy the same time it sees me. Helps a little.

I booked a copy of Silent Hunter 5 today, I hope the issue has been thought of there. I also think I need to speed up my SH3 career, so I'm done with it when SH5 arrives. It has taken me almost as long time as for the whole war to complete it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have SH4 too of course, but have not played a single mission yet...

uniquewave
12-20-2009, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by enigma1978:
Ok, thanks for your replies! I'm running GWX, so I guess the "barn size signature" is fixed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

One good thing about the snorkel is that it makes me faster in bad weather. With winds of 15 m/s the boat now and then goes under the big wawes, and my crew is manning the electrical engines, which makes the speed somtimes go down as low as 3-4 KTS, and then up to 12-14 KTS again, and all this in pretty short time intervals. If I run with raised snorkel I keep the speed around 12-14 KTS all the time!

Btw, I altered the TC-value in data/cfg/main.cfg, so that when an enemy sees me the TC drops to 1. That way I simulate a watch on the scope detecting the enemy the same time it sees me. Helps a little.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone verify if that is actually fixed in GWX?

That is a good idea you have there of using the Schnorkel in storms. I will have to try that if I ever get far enough in a career for it to be available. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I have a thing for starting at the beginning of the war with a type VII. This means that I don't make it to 43-44.

gamer025
01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by uniquewave:

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone verify if that is actually fixed in GWX?

That is a good idea you have there of using the Schnorkel in storms. I will have to try that if I ever get far enough in a career for it to be available. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I have a thing for starting at the beginning of the war with a type VII. This means that I don't make it to 43-44. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHA I'm the same way. The furthest I ever got was maybe mid-1941. I was really racking up the tonnage too and for some reason quit that game.

I use GWX now and hope to finish one day. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif