PDA

View Full Version : graphics card advice??

I_Jg3_BARKHORN
01-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I am going to upgrade my rig and was wondering what everyone's take on the age old graphic card question(which one). I was Looking at the x800 pro ( i would say xt but i can ot find one locally) and the 6800 gt. Now fb pf is my primary game. I do play a bit of counter strike and i am looking forward to the hl mods. With all that being said. I have a pretty stout rig as it is right now, but it is an agp rig and in the future i will build a new one with the 64 bit this and the pci that. In the mean time I am going to pack this rig full. All i can do is go to 2 gigs of ram and a new vid card. My rig is a 3.4c rig, gig of hyper x, and a 9800 pro. I play at 1600x1200x32 at 2x2 and it does very well, but my card can not keep up with my cpu. i was lookin to improve performance and visual at 16x12 at 2x2 even 4x4.
Also what is the differance between the gt and oc card. I have had a g3/g4(sold them) also a 9700 (burnt it up) and current 9800. I am looking for the best bang for the buck with my rig. If u all tell x800 xt well i guess i can wait till they get them locally.
Thx,

I_Jg3_BARKHORN
01-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I am going to upgrade my rig and was wondering what everyone's take on the age old graphic card question(which one). I was Looking at the x800 pro ( i would say xt but i can ot find one locally) and the 6800 gt. Now fb pf is my primary game. I do play a bit of counter strike and i am looking forward to the hl mods. With all that being said. I have a pretty stout rig as it is right now, but it is an agp rig and in the future i will build a new one with the 64 bit this and the pci that. In the mean time I am going to pack this rig full. All i can do is go to 2 gigs of ram and a new vid card. My rig is a 3.4c rig, gig of hyper x, and a 9800 pro. I play at 1600x1200x32 at 2x2 and it does very well, but my card can not keep up with my cpu. i was lookin to improve performance and visual at 16x12 at 2x2 even 4x4.
Also what is the differance between the gt and oc card. I have had a g3/g4(sold them) also a 9700 (burnt it up) and current 9800. I am looking for the best bang for the buck with my rig. If u all tell x800 xt well i guess i can wait till they get them locally.
Thx,

fordfan25
01-02-2005, 03:56 PM
well i think the x800xt is faster than the 6800gt but if im not wrong isnt it a good bit more money. i hade a 6800gt bfg and to be honst i was not impressed for as much as the card cost. just my 2 cents. sence your palnning to build a rig in the futer that will be pciE you might want to give some thought to a mid range card. just depends how long your going to wait to build the new PC.

icrash
01-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Post your question over in community help. There are several there who must be part computer or geniuses. They can definately help. Luckyboy helped me tweak my setup (needed dxdiag posted) and said that my vid card wasn't the problem. Mines a 9600xt BTW.