PDA

View Full Version : How long has the patch been the latest.

jugent
01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I looked at my directory for patches for IL2, FB, AEP and PF.
There where many patches with changed flight and damagemodels.

I remember when the P-40 was outstanding, when the spit never overheated, when the FW got devestating guns, when the Me-163 was like a F-16. When the I-16 was imune to german MG-fire.
When the P-47 was sluggish and ironlike, the P-38 was to slow etc etc.
Everything was said to be correct and reflecting how it was not to 100% but correct enough not to be questioned, "its the plane not the pilot."

I like the changes of the patches, and I think that is why this game hasnt died yet.

Some patches where "state of the art" for a long time and some where for only a short period.

Have anyone an idea of which patch was the latest for the shortest period?
I think it was the patch earlier to 4.02M, the one with the "porked damagemodel" of the FW-family.
Agree or disagree?

jugent
01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I looked at my directory for patches for IL2, FB, AEP and PF.
There where many patches with changed flight and damagemodels.

I remember when the P-40 was outstanding, when the spit never overheated, when the FW got devestating guns, when the Me-163 was like a F-16. When the I-16 was imune to german MG-fire.
When the P-47 was sluggish and ironlike, the P-38 was to slow etc etc.
Everything was said to be correct and reflecting how it was not to 100% but correct enough not to be questioned, "its the plane not the pilot."

I like the changes of the patches, and I think that is why this game hasnt died yet.

Some patches where "state of the art" for a long time and some where for only a short period.

Have anyone an idea of which patch was the latest for the shortest period?
I think it was the patch earlier to 4.02M, the one with the "porked damagemodel" of the FW-family.
Agree or disagree?

Skycat_2
01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
If I remember this correctly, the very first patch for FB needed an immediate follow-up patch to correct an issue with one of the planes ... the Bf-109K-4 I think. Wasn't the first patch v1.1 and the subsequent 'patch-to-the-patch' v1.11 or something like that? And of course there was a comprehensive version of both packaged into one download ...

I don't remember if the mini-patch affected FMs at all, so it may not be relevant to your question.

BaldieJr
01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I can not answer these questions but enjoy this thread all the same.

Chuck_Older
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
4.02 has been around just long enough so that all the guys who said "4.01= worst patch EVER" forgot they said that

LeOs.K_Walstein
01-25-2006, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
4.02 has been around just long enough so that all the guys who said "4.01= worst patch EVER" forgot they said that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Some months ago one the moderators answered my question conscerning the flight model by sending here a copy of a much older writing. From that I learned much about this sim and the idea of the FM in general. I`m sorry to say this but I`m at the moment too lazy to find it so that I could show it here.

Anyhow I want to say that the FM cannot calculate every manouvre for each and every aeroplane there in every possible situation. A FM that could calculate everything correctly would require computers that most of us could possibly not afford to get. As far as I could understand most of the things are correct and have been correct from the standpoint of the current FM. The idea is, that BECAUSE the FM is not and cannot be definately correct, the maneuvres that our aeroplanes do are close to right.

Just like in case of rounded numbers one can say that 2,7 is 3 as well as 3,2 would be 3, too. 3,2 is over 18% more than 2,7, but it is still right to say about the number 3 what has been said. I think that Oleg&Boys have really tried their best and that they have been right in their way most of the time. They have faced the fact that they had to simplify and round up things!

I`d like to add something more here but this was hard enough for me, since I`m not an english-speaker and I find this problematic to think in my own language not to mention a foreign language.

So! We should not expect full realism from this FM because it cannot simply do it perfectly. Instead of that we have a good reason to be happy with what we have. Our FM is the best at the time as it has been the best for several years. I understand those who wonder the reasons for all changes made from patch to patch. My advice to them is something like:

"Don´t worry. The sim is as good as it ever can be according to the best knowledge AND THE LIMITATIONS OF THE FM and our computers. If the FM were more complicated, our computers might have problems with it and in addition, that kind of a FM would require much more time to create compared to the one at hand."

I wish that everybody enjoys the game we have!
Wallstein