PDA

View Full Version : How to SELECT a target?

BNR-SH3
03-24-2005, 09:38 AM
When you ask the sonarman to give exact distance to target he just replys no target selected???

How do I select targets? The only thing that I can think of is locking them with the periscope.

There is no word about "selecting" targets in the manual.. and there is no key mapped for selecting targets on the keyboard layout that follows the game package..

Please help me..

Thanx in advance.

scootertgm
03-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Lock onto a target with the UZO or the Scope

BNR-SH3
03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
By locking you mean pressing the L key, og the lock button on the periscope(UZO)

If i DO lock a target as that, and I ask the sonarofficer to give exact distance, he replys "no target selected"...

Why is that...

Bulwark_
03-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes, I know what you're asking!

When on the hydrophone screen and you click ping, although you may hear something it must show up on your notepad up top.

It will say: Unknown, Merchant, or Warship.

If it just has a dash, you will get the response, no target selected. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BNR-SH3
03-24-2005, 09:49 AM
So what you're basicly saying is that I "select" targets with the hydraphone..?

Bulwark_
03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
No, not exactly. When you turn the wheel to change direction of the hyrdophone, on the same screen your notepad will say what's making the sound. You don't have to actually select the target, if the type shows up on your pad it's already selected. Note: it's only selected to ping for range, nothing else. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt._Tenneal
03-24-2005, 10:08 AM
My question is I sometimes can SEE a target on the attack scope but my sonarman hasn't acquired it yet so it doesn't get marked on my map and the data for the TDC isn't there and I can't lock-on to it. Do I always have to wait for sonar to acquire it ? Can I "force" the target to appear on the map ?

It seems wrong that I can see a target in front of me but I'm prevented from locking-on to it.

Bulwark_
03-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure about manual targeting for the TDC, haven't tried it yet. But unfortunately you cannot force your sonarman to track anything even though you knows it's there and you could hear it on the hydrophone.

The best is probably to go to a deeper depth and try to be as quite as possible so your sonarman is able to pick it up.

PsychoFritz
03-24-2005, 10:32 AM
You can tell the sonar man to track the nearest target...that is if he can hear it. He must be deaf...because I can find a whole bunch of targets when I do it myself...which he always seems to miss. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Maybe thats because when I do it I submerge and turn the engines off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

nstutt
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
You need to find the target using the hydrophone and then select whether its a merchant warship etc and select the tick button to select it as a target. From then on you can tell the operator to contntrate on it and can ask for a range to target. Its probably becuase your men arent very experienced.

Timber...wolf
03-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Aw come on forget all this just surface and see what happens even in broad daylight if its night fire a star shell .. man the deck guns duke it out if there is a ripple in the water and your swabbies wont man the deck guns then go for a Ram .. rofl ..give the sonar man some Q Tips . .. he must have put something in his ears smaller than an elbow ..

BNR-SH3
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I still can't use either the sonar or the hydrophone when surfaced.. well I can do it, but my sonarman refuses to work when surfaced.

If I have a lot of target on the map with the sonar and is dived there is no problem. The moment I surface, all the targets disapear, and only the ones visible with the naked eye is on my map.. its very frustrating I think.

It doesnt matter if my engine is one or anything, as soon as I surface, the sonar man refuses to work at all..

GT182
03-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Have your Weapons Officer plot a solution to target. Or is it the Nav? Oh well, one of them will do it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

RustyTorpedo
03-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Playing realistic setting this really is a pain in the ***... Even my grandmother can hear the contacts my sonarman refuses to acknowledge. Only after I'm well within visual range (~7km) will he give me a proper range report...

This must be a bug.

wolfh2o
03-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Maybe that's the range limit of the ping? I notice he will make an initial report of a contact well out of visual range (sometimes even before I can hear it) even though he doesen't designate it yet. This is with a Sr. Petty Officer with the radioman skill.

Mamersk
03-25-2005, 05:28 AM
To BNR-SH3

What YOU do is go to the Sonar station. YOU find the sonar contact then go down and order the sonar man to follow nearest sonar contact. Make sure the contact is still highlighted on the notepad BEFORE giving this order. Then the sonar man will follow the contact you chose and estimate its range for you when asked. I had to work this one out too! . YOu can PING the contact to get exact range, but remember THEY can hear this PING and you wouldnt want to use it when destroyers are about..