PDA

View Full Version : Engine Off???

GuAlo82
05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello! I was flying with my I-16, and after pulling a few maneuvers wich included throttle changes, my engine went off. I didn't received any hits, and i had a full tank. It just went off. i managed to land, and try to turn it on again, but nothing. No response at all. Can anybody tell me what happend? Thanks!!

Sorry for my english, i'm from Argentina.

GuAlo82
05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello! I was flying with my I-16, and after pulling a few maneuvers wich included throttle changes, my engine went off. I didn't received any hits, and i had a full tank. It just went off. i managed to land, and try to turn it on again, but nothing. No response at all. Can anybody tell me what happend? Thanks!!

Sorry for my english, i'm from Argentina.

GuAlo82
05-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry, i don´t know if its important, but i forgot to say that i'm playing forgotten battles...

Covino
05-26-2005, 07:03 PM
The I-16 and some other planes (Hurricanes, early Spitfires I believe) would have their engine cut off in negative-G maneuvers due to fuel starvation. Starve the engine for too long and it'll shut off for good.

diomedes33
05-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Its because the i-16 is carbureted instead of fuel injected. If you pull to many negative g's (stick down) it will starve the engine to the point it quits.

90% of the time you can avoid this by rolling inverted before you go down (i.e Split-S).

GuAlo82
05-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks a lot!!...One last question, once this happens, you can't do anything at all to re-start the engine??

Covino
05-26-2005, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuAlo82:
Thanks a lot!!...One last question, once this happens, you can't do anything at all to re-start the engine?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so, either because a ground crew is needed to start the engine, or maybe engine damage is caused... but I'm not sure.

AFSG_Bulldog
05-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes you can restart the engine. But sometimes it may take several tries to get it re-started. Once you kill it, it does not always start as easily as it did the first time.

diomedes33
05-26-2005, 07:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuAlo82:
Thanks a lot!!...One last question, once this happens, you can't do anything at all to re-start the engine?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you can, but you need enough speed to turn over the engine. I think its around 300 kph. Like dropping the clutch in a manual transmission, to push start the car. You need to get the car rolling first.

heywooood
05-26-2005, 08:34 PM
why is there still no stickie atop these boards with the description of and cure for:

1) engine quits in the I-16 / Hurricane / I-153
CURE : these planes have carburators and not
fuel-injection engines...try not to
fly inverted or sustain neg-condition
in these planes - restart in the air
is possible with 250kts min airspeed.

2) How to raise/lower the landing gear in the
I-16 / F4 Wildcat ?
CURE: these planes have manual landing gear
where the pilot had to physically
crank the gear up and down
You must assign a key in the
'controls' section whenever you
create a new pilot and you have to
'pump' the key several times
to raise/lower the gear.

3) Gunsight is offcenter in some planes, most
Luftwaffe planes but also a few others..
CURE: press CTRL+F1 to center the gunsight

4) Cant takeoff from a carrier? WTF?
CURE: you must assign a key in the
'controls' section for the 'wheel
chocks' which were used on carriers
keep aircraft from careering around
the deck by themselves.
* I personally setup the 'arrow' keys as
follows...Up arrow= wingfold
Left arrow= wheel chocks
Right arrow= Canopy slide
Down arrow= tailhook

There are lots of frequently asked questions
but these 4 top the charts

ClnlSandersLite
05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why is there still no stickie atop these boards with the description of and cure for: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See: "<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Frequently Asked Questions</span>"

The fourth sticky from the top. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Troll2k
05-27-2005, 12:58 PM
In RL the I-16 and I-153 needed a starter truck to get the engine started.It is simulated in the game by only being able to start your engine when the plane is on a premade(official)runway.

If you land in a field and the engine is off there are no starter trucks so the engine will not start.

heywooood
05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">why is there still no stickie atop these boards with the description of and cure for: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See: "<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Frequently Asked Questions</span>"

The fourth sticky from the top. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I have seen that FAQ stickie - but you have to go digging around in it to find the answer to these 4 most often asked questions and it seems alot of people would benefit from having them listed separately and prominently.
BTW when you read my post you will see that I reference the FAQ thing but refer to these 4 questions especially so http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif back atcha