PDA

View Full Version : bombing accurate

neil_1821
07-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I enjoy doing quick missions and i'm having trouble to bomb accurately, i have treid in fighters that carry bombs and also in the B-25 but how do you do it accurately, is there a bombsight you can toggle??? The only possible way i can do it is by dive bombing nd i usually end up in the explosion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

neil_1821
07-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I enjoy doing quick missions and i'm having trouble to bomb accurately, i have treid in fighters that carry bombs and also in the B-25 but how do you do it accurately, is there a bombsight you can toggle??? The only possible way i can do it is by dive bombing nd i usually end up in the explosion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

VF2_Snowman
07-22-2005, 08:12 AM
You will find guides for bombing with level bombers here: http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm#002

As far as bombing with fighters and dive bombers, doing it accurately is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Spook57
07-22-2005, 08:21 AM
To avoid being blown up by your own bombs, you should set the bomb delay to at least 2.0 seconds, in the aircraft arming screen. I usually set mine to 2.0.

For some reason though, I don't seem to be able to get the rocket delay to work.

~S~
Spook

neural_dream
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
rocket delay isn't the same as bomb delay. rockets explode immediately Spook57.

neil_1821
07-22-2005, 09:56 AM
why do i always forget airwarfare http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I am hopefully going to be building a new pc instead of using my laptop that has broken. The specs are as follows and i'm just wondering if this will get me high define detail in the flight sims.
AMD athlon 64 bit processor, 1Gb of RAM, 80Gb Hard drive and a nVidea GeForce 6600. All of this is costing 634 including P & P but is this good?

neil_1821
07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
I've watched ombing videos and read the instructions but how do you actually get into the bombadiers seat to see down the sight???

LEBillfish
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
rocket delay isn't the same as bomb delay. rockets explode immediately Spook57. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To a point....They also can be set for "convergence" and time. Convergence easy to figure, obviously you'll adjust it to suit whether you want both nailing the same object, or to be spread out a bit so if not one then the other will strike (not ideal).

Time however insures that the rocket will go off in X seconds. That is actually useful in bomber formations as you fire and if you miss, if it goes off close enough to a bomber it will still do damage...So if you figure your range/seconds....Set them as you would convergence to go off "time" wise at the range you plan on shooting them at your target.

PE_Mosor
07-22-2005, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spook57:
To avoid being blown up by your own bombs, you should set the bomb delay to at least 2.0 seconds, in the aircraft arming screen. I usually set mine to 2.0.

For some reason though, I don't seem to be able to get the rocket delay to work.

~S~
Spook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rocket delay works only for Soviet RS 82/132 and ROFS 132 rockets, Japanese Type3Mk27 rockets and German Wf.Gr.21 rockets. All other rockets will explode only on contact.
When you set rocket delay it will explode after set time or when it hits something, whichever comes first.

jarink
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Skip bomb.

This actually can work on land under certain circumstances, such as dropping on a runway, road or other hard surface. It seems to work better if you get lower (50m or less) and faster than what's necessary for water drops. Definitely set bomb delay before skipping on land and pull out immediately after dropping!

mjr_health
07-22-2005, 04:46 PM
First you need to get into the bobmberdiers position, "C" key, usually front gunners position. then select " togglre gusight ", "shift_F1", that will bring up the scope. If plane isnt stable you will not see any scale, once it is there keep the plane staedy or make slow changes or it will dissaper for a few seconds.

neil_1821
07-23-2005, 01:32 PM
what was the shift F1 key originally set to as i like to change my keys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Pig_Mac
07-23-2005, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what was the shift F1 key originally set to as i like to change my keys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's 'Toggle Gunsight' that switches on the bombing sight, where available. you also need to map the keys for aiming it, but they are easier to find.

neil_1821
07-24-2005, 09:36 AM
one more thing before i can finally do it is how do you get it to fly straight and at constant speed,on the tutorial i watched you could press key to do this but it was on il 2, is tere one on pacific fighters??? And can you change your air speed to Knots and the altitude to ft, who measures altitude in M??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

VF2_Snowman
07-24-2005, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neil_1821:
one more thing before i can finally do it is how do you get it to fly straight and at constant speed,on the tutorial i watched you could press key to do this but it was on il 2, is tere one on pacific fighters??? And can you change your air speed to Knots and the altitude to ft, who measures altitude in M??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, make sure you are flying on a straight course toward the target well before it. Then hit your level stabilizer key (User defined). This will fly your aircraft in a straight line at a level altitude giving you a chance to jump to the bombardiers seat without having to fly the plane. I usually set my Sight distance to a 75 deg angle so I am looking well ahead of the aircraft. Once the target becomes visible you will probably have to make adjustments to your bomb sight. You should already have your altitude and airspeed inputed into the bombsight (I usually do this before I even take off). So the two adjustments you will have to make are airspeed and right/left. For left/right adjustments I use rudder trim as this does not destabilize the bomb sight. As soon as you are lined up on a staight course to the target recenter your rudder trim so you are flying straight and true(Shift-Z or Shift-X are the default keys to recenter). Keeping the bomb sight distance set well ahead (75 deg) toggle it to auto mode when the crosshairs are over a distinguishable object. Watch to see if the crosshairs creep up or down from the object. If they do, use your sight velocity keys to stabilize it. Once that is done toggle the sight mode back to manual. Once the crosshairs are over your intended target toggle sight mode to auto again. The crosshairs should stay right over the target but some fine tuning may be needed. As far as units of measurement used by the bombsight, it depends on the plane you are flying. The B25 uses mph and ft, all the others (I think) use kmh and meters.

UKPsycho
07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
You can define a key (or combination of) to change from metres and Km to ft and MPH or ft and Kts.

MLudner
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF2_Snowman:
You will find guides for bombing with level bombers here: http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm#002

As far as bombing with fighters and dive bombers, doing it accurately is a matter of practice, practice, practice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a great site. Lots of good stuff.
Thank you.

Skoshi Tiger
07-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Does PF have a weapon view? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I looked at the command sheet and its not listed there?

VF-29_Sandman
07-26-2005, 05:26 AM
to 'glide bomb' in fighters like p-47's, approach target from about 2000 feet at the very least. start ur dive at about a 45 degree angle. when ur target is just a tad away from goin under the nose of the plane, drop the eggs and pull out. u should either a: get a direct hit, or b: a hit within 20'. either way, target should be terminated.

VF2_Snowman
07-26-2005, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger:
Does PF have a weapon view? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I looked at the command sheet and its not listed there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, unfortunately there is no weapon view. You can switch to an outside view and see the bombs fall from an external view of your aircraft. If you build missions you can place cameras near your target and switch to a view from them to see the results of all your hard work.

TPN_Cephas
07-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know how often bomb delay really was used in WW2. I was under the impression that nearly all bombs dropped, especially by fighters, were contact explosion type bombs.

In my mind it seems kind of cheap to use a delay bomb fuze because you can drop it right on top of the target instead of from a more realistic 500-1000m release and having to factor in bomb drop. Even worse is the trick of dropping a two second bomb delay bomb when flying on the deck with a bandit behind you and having him get caught in the blast.
(not that I EVER would have done this :P )

VF-29_Sandman
07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
the germans dropped 'time delayed' bombs in bob. the bombs would explode hours later. the brits dubbed them 'uxb's'...unexploded bombs.

Skoshi Tiger
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my mind it seems kind of cheap to use a delay bomb fuze because you can drop it right on top of the target
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Kind of cheap" War is hell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

" Sorry Sir, There was no way I was going to endanger the reputation of the squadron by doing a low level bombing mission! The lives of my wingmen was a small price to pay to ensure that we can hold our chins up high and....."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
instead of from a more realistic 500-1000m release and having to factor in bomb drop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There a official reports of a Mosquitos comming back to base with bits of chiminy pots stuck in the aircraft. Not to mention all the bits of trees that were brought back from various missions.

Now when your bombing target inside of a city with a friendly population Pinpoint accuracy is required.

On the shellhaus raid ( against the Gestapo HQ in copenhagen) some of the mosquitos had up to 30 seconds delay.