PDA

View Full Version : OT - UK Festival of History

OMK_Hand
08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi.
Went to the ˜Festival of History 2007', at Kelmarsh Hall, Northamptonshire today, on this beautiful summer Saturday, celebrating (since war shaped our (British) nation) combat through the ages. Knights in armour, Romans, Normans, and the most invigorating world war one arial dog fight.
Three Se5A's, Two Junkers CL1 monoplanes (with a rear gunner), a French Nieuport17, a Sopwith tri-plane, and a Fokker DR1 tri-plane. All ripping it up really low down, just yards away from the crowd line. They turned on a sixpence and were low enough to disappear occasionally behind a tiny wood on the (not-so) far side of the field. All the time British troops were banging away at them with rifles and machine guns. One trooper had a Lewis (I think) gun on his shoulder, fired by another, and without a doubt he is now minus his faculty to think, hear, or do anything much, such was the noise of the weapon. Tragic... The rotary magazine lasted for a few seconds, and took a few minutes to replace.
All the aeroplanes looked brand new, and were being flown really hard within feet of one another. Fantastic. One of them even pulled of a loop, and you could see the edge the pilot was flying on... Fantastic... Some fine piloting, and one pilot was an 80-odd year old ww2 veteran. They finished with low, really low fly pasts to show off the aeroplanes which were beautiful. Kids and adults alike were fired up by the whole spectacle. Fantastic. One day maybe ww2 will be represented by new builds, then we'll see some flying at shows.... If you can get there tomorrow, this display alone is worth the entrance fee.

Whilst typing, I found the link to the ww1 display site:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.9610

These ww1 planes themselves were a menace to the pilots who flew them, and I hope any decent ww1 fighting sim that emerges doesn't have too much transit flying as that maybe would be too much like work. The commentary at the event stated that against a fierce headwind the earlier types appeared to hover or even fly backwards to those on the ground. The combat however is brutal, close up and very personal.

Thought this might be of interest.

OMK_Hand
08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi.
Went to the ˜Festival of History 2007', at Kelmarsh Hall, Northamptonshire today, on this beautiful summer Saturday, celebrating (since war shaped our (British) nation) combat through the ages. Knights in armour, Romans, Normans, and the most invigorating world war one arial dog fight.
Three Se5A's, Two Junkers CL1 monoplanes (with a rear gunner), a French Nieuport17, a Sopwith tri-plane, and a Fokker DR1 tri-plane. All ripping it up really low down, just yards away from the crowd line. They turned on a sixpence and were low enough to disappear occasionally behind a tiny wood on the (not-so) far side of the field. All the time British troops were banging away at them with rifles and machine guns. One trooper had a Lewis (I think) gun on his shoulder, fired by another, and without a doubt he is now minus his faculty to think, hear, or do anything much, such was the noise of the weapon. Tragic... The rotary magazine lasted for a few seconds, and took a few minutes to replace.
All the aeroplanes looked brand new, and were being flown really hard within feet of one another. Fantastic. One of them even pulled of a loop, and you could see the edge the pilot was flying on... Fantastic... Some fine piloting, and one pilot was an 80-odd year old ww2 veteran. They finished with low, really low fly pasts to show off the aeroplanes which were beautiful. Kids and adults alike were fired up by the whole spectacle. Fantastic. One day maybe ww2 will be represented by new builds, then we'll see some flying at shows.... If you can get there tomorrow, this display alone is worth the entrance fee.

Whilst typing, I found the link to the ww1 display site:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.9610

These ww1 planes themselves were a menace to the pilots who flew them, and I hope any decent ww1 fighting sim that emerges doesn't have too much transit flying as that maybe would be too much like work. The commentary at the event stated that against a fierce headwind the earlier types appeared to hover or even fly backwards to those on the ground. The combat however is brutal, close up and very personal.

Thought this might be of interest.

leitmotiv
08-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Makes me yearn for Knights of the Sky. Must have been fun to see.