PDA

View Full Version : screenshot quality

zdenkaxx1
05-19-2005, 04:54 PM
when i resize screenshots and convert to jpeg with irfanview,the shots lose quite a lot of quality.is there any other programme that does the job better ?

zdenkaxx1
05-19-2005, 04:54 PM
when i resize screenshots and convert to jpeg with irfanview,the shots lose quite a lot of quality.is there any other programme that does the job better ?

GuNzABlaZiN
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Well, if you resize, then you will obviously lose quality. Are there compression settings in infraview? The compression could be set to very low adding to bad quality. Photoshop does this quite nicely.

Lucius_Esox
05-19-2005, 06:10 PM
zdenkaxx1,
Are you SURE this is the right forum for YOUR piccies,,,,,, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Taylortony
05-20-2005, 01:25 AM
you could email me one and i will convert it in photoshop so you can see if there is any difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif PM me if you wanna try

major_setback
05-20-2005, 02:19 AM
I don't know if this will help, but I have heard the following regarding photography. This should also apply to saving screenshots:

You should really save your shots as a 'tif' file rather than jpeg. Jpeg always compresses a file whereas you can save a picture in the tif format without any compression (a reduction in file size leading to loss in quality).

The real problem, I am told, with jpeg is not the initial loss in quality when saving a picture, but the reduction in quality that you get when compressing an already compressed jpeg file.

If you have to reduce a file's size greatly it is best to do so in one compression (compressing a lot) rather than in several smaller steps. Making a jpeg compression of a 'jpeg compressed' picture is known to give heavy jpeg artifacts (ghosting around edges etc.)

You can compress a file quite a lot (using jpeg compression) without any visible loss in quality, but not if the shot has already been compressed once!

Note: Your file size will be very large if you save as tif files.

You can convert a shot from tif to jpeg without any problem and with minimal loss in picture quality.

What compression level are you using when
saving to jpegs?

EDIT: THIS MIGHT BE YOUR PROBLEM. I just did a save from Irfan view and noticed that you can't choose the compression level!!! This is your problem. You need to get a different program where you can choose the compression level.

Compression can (in Photoshop Elements) be set to 10 different levels, each reducing the picture size increasingly (and reducing picture quality likewise).

Someone else might know of a free program where you can set different levels of jpeg compresion?

Good luck!

tigertalon
05-20-2005, 02:26 AM
What major_setback said, choose high compression level. In Irfanview you CAN choose it (maybe not in older versions). Set it to 95 or sth like that and you will not even notice the difference.

major_setback
05-21-2005, 03:56 AM
I almost forgot to ask:
How are you viewing your images? IrfanView could be your problem.
IrfanView causes 'banding' between colours rather than gradual transitions. View your pictures in XP's picture browser instead, or Photoshop Elements (you can usually find a free trial in photo magazines- on CD) .

If you open up a picture in XP's browser, and then an IrfranView picture you can do a side-by-side comparison. Screenshots are affected far more than photos.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

zdenkaxx1
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
thanks for the replies folks. it appears that irfanview is not up to the job. i only chose it as it was free.
seems that photoshop is going to be the way forward.
thanks for the kind offer taylortony but i'll be sorting photoshop anyway.

Call_me_Kanno
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
After you resize the shot go to the image tab again and choose the sharpen option near the bottom. This works good for me with IrfanView.