PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR update.

Ken_Det
04-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I got an email a few days ago about an update for TrackIR.
Any buddy try this out yet?
The last update they had hosed mine over so I stuck with what came with my TR4 pro when I got it 3 months ago.

Ken_Det
04-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I got an email a few days ago about an update for TrackIR.
Any buddy try this out yet?
The last update they had hosed mine over so I stuck with what came with my TR4 pro when I got it 3 months ago.

Yellow_Sub
04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Seems to be still beta, also it seems to only and update on Vista drivers for USB.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-...are-and-manuals.html (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html)

I stick with the old one.

Ken_Det
04-04-2007, 01:55 AM
AAAAAAA I see.

AndyGW
04-04-2007, 04:19 AM
With regards to Track IR4 Pro, just how well supported is it by Il2 1946?

I'm thinking of buying one having watched a demo but that was using Microsoft Flight Sim not Sturmovik. Their website only lists it as having pitch and yaw support not full x, y and z axis movement.

Can I zoom in and out, look around, and move my head side to side to shift my view in the cockpit to the left or right? (I don't mean turning to look left or right, just shifting my view to the left or right side of the plane)

x6BL_Brando
04-04-2007, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With regards to Track IR4 Pro, just how well supported is it by Il2 1946? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An oft-repeated question Andy, but the answer is still that this series does not and will not support 6DoF. The work involved in remodelling all the cockpits is too great.
The next series - IL2 Storm of War - will support it, we understand, but I wouldn't let any of this stop you from getting TrackIR to use with '46.

B

Yellow_Sub
04-04-2007, 06:49 AM
You only have 2DoF in IL-2 (you can look left and right and up and down), but it is still a great addition. If you can afford it, get one. Best piece of hardware since the first 3dfx vodoo chip, imho. And the next 6DoF title will be coming anyway.

AndyGW
04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
ah.. I see thanks for your comments guys. I must admit it was the video of the guy moving his head in and out to zoom the view and then lifting his head to lock over the nose of the plane which blew me away.

Does just being able to look around make that much of a difference. And that's an open question, I'm not knocking the unit, I'm just trying to convince myself that such a feature is worth 100 GBP.

WWSpinDry
04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Just my $.02, but even with the limited support in IL-2 it's the most important piece of flying gear you'll use next to a joystick.

tomtheyak
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyGW:

Does just being able to look around make that much of a difference. And that's an open question, I'm not knocking the unit, I'm just trying to convince myself that such a feature is worth 100 GBP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hat Switch or numpad views do work and well but they have their disadvantages, especially whilst tracking opponenets especially in 'closed pit' play. TiR really shines here; it becomes second nature after a few hours. Plus it frees up your hands to be doing more critical tasks, so rather than be tied to the keyboard mouse or hat switch your hand/thumb can be better lining up that high deflection shot whilst adjusting throttle or trim.

However, I know plenty of great online pilots who still fly very successfully using hat switch views - whether or not you find it worth the money is entirely up to you. does the time you spend playing or your budget justify it? I was lucky and got a hand me down from a squad mate. But I have to say if mine failed now, I'd be putting a new one straight on my credit card (but then I'm a financial moron http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

AndyGW
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm still considering getting one.

Have you seen this on youtube though. I typed in IL2 TrackIR and it showed up four videos showing full 6DOF support, although the guy that did it seems to say nothing about it. Does anyone know anymore about this?

here's a link to one of them...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTRsBcSyk8

tomtheyak
04-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, Kegerty, the uploader cracked a previous Version of Il2s .sfs files, those 'secure' files which ensure we dont get 1000mph A6M2s or P.11cs with 45mm cannons. As such he was able to mess with the coding and tempt us with the 6DOF possibilities.

But look again - Firstly: in the earlier modelled a/c (109E etc) there is much clipping & parts disappearing. Although some later models dont do this, it would be inconsisitent to allow 6DoF with people being able to see through parts of their aeroplane.

Secondly, and not accurately shown, there are no collision bubbles, i.e. something to limit the movement of your virtual noggin, so you could theoretically put your head right through the canopy, side wall or even rear bulkhead and see the unlimited view beyond! Also NOT GOOD.

So fortunatley Kegs aleted Oleg and crew rather than distribute the crack. Unfortunately Il2 development is dead and buried so no mods will be made to the old models to bring them up to 6DoF standard.

Fortunately BoB is on the way with full 6DoF plus a veritable treasure trove of improvements. so hang in there!

Meanwhile Il2:1946 is still bloody great even with only 2 DoF TiR so don't forget to enjoy yourself in the meantime.

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Even with support for only 2dof, TIR is an essential piece of hardware for my IL2 flying.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Bo_Nidle
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I took the plunge and got TrackIR 4 Pro for xmas off the Mrs (bless her http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif ) and it has transformed my sim experience.

The ability to naturally keep sight of the opponent is a real fight winning asset. It really gives credence to the fighter pilot maxim "Lose sight,Lose the fight". Landing is also transformed as you can keep your eye on the field/carrier all the way around.

The lack of 6DOF is not a problem.I have MS FSX Deluxe which does have 6DOF and is something of a pain to be honest as you have to watch where you lean or you keep zooming in at the most in opportune moment. However in "Armed Assault" 6DOF is quite good and is also a boon in "Lomac".

If you can afford it then get it.You won't be disappointed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

NP_Vincent
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
I took the plunge and got TrackIR 4 Pro for xmas off the Mrs (bless her http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif ) and it has transformed my sim experience.

The ability to naturally keep sight of the opponent is a real fight winning asset. It really gives credence to the fighter pilot maxim "Lose sight,Lose the fight". Landing is also transformed as you can keep your eye on the field/carrier all the way around.

The lack of 6DOF is not a problem.I have MS FSX Deluxe which does have 6DOF and is something of a pain to be honest as you have to watch where you lean or you keep zooming in at the most in opportune moment. However in "Armed Assault" 6DOF is quite good and is also a boon in "Lomac".

If you can afford it then get it.You won't be disappointed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried turning down the zoom reaction angle in the FSX profile?

i.e. - increase the deadzone slightly?

WWSpinDry
04-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Just made the jump from TIR2 to TIR4. In short: wow. Even with just 2DOF supported in IL-2 the difference is AMAZING. If anyone is on the fence about upgrading, my vote is take the leap. Now. You won't regret it.