PDA

View Full Version : Crazy AI

darkhorizon11
07-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey I'm almost done with this really cool mission, just one problem. AI is on crack. The enemy planes act how they should but my planes are all messed up. Basically I have 2 flights of Tbolts and 2 of Mustangs flying low level over the trees to attack a German airbase chock full of jets. To make it realistic I want the planes to stay below radar which is ussually about 600AGL or about 190 meters. But every time as soon as I start the mission at least two or three Mustangs crash into the ground. At first I thought they were colliding but then I looked and for some reason the planes won't stay at about 150 meters like they're supposed to. About half of them climb up to 1000 meters on a right hand turn then return back towards the base to contintue the mission. Then ussually a couple Mustangs after climbing just head straight down into the ground. I check all the speeds and alt. so they're not stalling out and 150 meters is low but still decent clearance since it is only the Ardenne map.
Does anyone have any ideas I'm about ready to give up?

darkhorizon11
07-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey I'm almost done with this really cool mission, just one problem. AI is on crack. The enemy planes act how they should but my planes are all messed up. Basically I have 2 flights of Tbolts and 2 of Mustangs flying low level over the trees to attack a German airbase chock full of jets. To make it realistic I want the planes to stay below radar which is ussually about 600AGL or about 190 meters. But every time as soon as I start the mission at least two or three Mustangs crash into the ground. At first I thought they were colliding but then I looked and for some reason the planes won't stay at about 150 meters like they're supposed to. About half of them climb up to 1000 meters on a right hand turn then return back towards the base to contintue the mission. Then ussually a couple Mustangs after climbing just head straight down into the ground. I check all the speeds and alt. so they're not stalling out and 150 meters is low but still decent clearance since it is only the Ardenne map.
Does anyone have any ideas I'm about ready to give up?

Capt._Tenneal
07-23-2004, 08:52 AM
I knew it wasn't just me. I started a thread about the AI in 2.04 a couple of days ago, and between then and now I've seen 3 or 4 other topics (including this one) about the 2.04 AI . Although, I haven't encountered this "colliding with the ground" problem, I have several times uttered a "What the F--- is he doing ?!" on AI behaviour.

Udidtoo
07-23-2004, 09:14 AM
I am beginning to think that we have traded collisions and friendly fire incidents for WTF are they doing!!?.

Started a new Russian camp. this morning.

Results so far in mission 1.

1st attempt 4 or 5 AI squad mates flew themselves into the ground.

Second- 2 of 5
third- 5 of 5.....beautiful
fourth-2 of 5
fifth-3 of 5........and it never got better

Offline camp. has been my only joy in this fine simm/game as online is a non-stop lag stutter fest for me on my **** connection.

I really hope I'm off target here because the alternative is what? Fly solo in QMB and blow up the same targets again and again. I have far to much time and equipment invested to settle for that.

Ah well as I'm rained out of work today I have all day to test. Going to fly the 1st mission of the 1st campaign of each country in game. 10 to 15 per nation should give me a more accurate picture if this has just been horrible luck or horrible coding.

I sure hope its better than 12 Lvov attempts have been so far as there has been no point in having flight mates so far unless you are amused by watching replays that make you scratch your head in wonder.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

IV|JG51Flatspin
07-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a similar problem with my Bf-110 campaign right now. Funny thing is I'm losing the brass...squad leaders and Haupts mostly. We'r'e on Kuban map and it was okay when we were flying down the coast, but since we've been attacking North, these boneheads can't clear the mountains. They've all got more than 30 sorties under their belts too.

As for the thread starter: you're going to have trouble anyway with AI trying to stay under 150m unless you're on a pancake map. They get freaked out and disoriented. Try the same map but increase to 300-400m. They might have an easier time following you if you're the flight lead, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

IV/JG51_Fl@spin
formerly: =Elite=Flatspin
http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Flatspin/banner.jpg (http://www.jg51.net)

Tully__
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
AI have always behaved oddly at low altitudes. They are very bad at terrain avoidance. Set a higher altitude. It pays to make sure that the altitude is higher than the height above sea level of the highest terrain you'll be flying over.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/fb.zip)

Salut
Tully

Udidtoo
07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
The flying themselves into the ground isn't occuring as a result of terrain.

The friendly AI is consistantly following smokers and flamers down to the deck where they begin a series of insane looping manuvers resulting in most or all of them flying right into the ground

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

Franzen
07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
The results of AI behavior go further than that. Recently we got a bunch of new guyz in our squadron. I've always noticed that the new guyz have been carefully trained by the AI. I think this happens to everyone, including myself, cause we learn to fly offline first.

It's interesting that the AI tactical manuevers described in here are the same thing I'm seeing with the new guyz.

Now I'm reading about the new circus tactics of the 2.04 AI's and thinking this is what we can expect from future cadets. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Never a dull moment.

Fritz Franzen