PDA

View Full Version : Cannot locate the CD-ROM ( problem CD )

BozoMaddog
12-03-2004, 11:04 AM
bump
If you have trouble accessing the game after loading you could have a bad CD. I bought two
( from Best Buy in Beaverton, Oregon ) and had trouble with both CD's. You will get these messages: "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select OK and restart." 2nd one is "The application failed to initialize properly ()xc000a42). Click on OK to terminate the application".

Troll2k
12-03-2004, 12:56 PM
That message is received because the disk is being inserted in a cdrw or dvdrw drive.Some drives can not deal with the copy protection.

Jarhead1963
12-03-2004, 05:47 PM
It also appears on regular CD drives. I uninstalled and disconnected my writer, uninstalled all CD burning software, added SP2, got rid of every piece of antivirus and other auto loading software, reinstalled the game and got the exact same error. I will try and return it for replacement, as that's the only thing I havn't tried. If that doesn't work, the rotten piece of garbage goes on Ebay.

BozoMaddog
12-03-2004, 06:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
That message is received because the disk is being inserted in a cdrw or dvdrw drive.Some drives can not deal with the copy protection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much but I've been in the computer business for over 12 years and there was no cdrw or dvdrw drive. I borrowed a friend's copy and it worked fine. It appears that a bad batch was shipped to this area.

Thanks again for your reply.

BozoMaddog
12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead1963:
It also appears on regular CD drives. I uninstalled and disconnected my writer, uninstalled all CD burning software, added SP2, got rid of every piece of antivirus and other auto loading software, reinstalled the game and got the exact same error. I will try and return it for replacement, as that's the only thing I havn't tried. If that doesn't work, the rotten piece of garbage goes on Ebay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you go get a new CD. I took my laptop to the store and made sure it worked.
Good luck.

Hunter82
12-03-2004, 06:15 PM
for those with NForce based boards...try using the MS IDE Driver instead of the Nvidia driver... this sometimes clears it up...

Not for the original poster as his issue is solved (bad copy) but for anyone who searches this topic.

Voidable
12-03-2004, 06:56 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif hello sir sounds like your rom is going out...had the prob little while back . you been in the computer business for over 12 years
so i know you know this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif FYI im a computer tec also ... im sure this is your prob...good luck!

Willey
12-03-2004, 08:11 PM
rts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cetaman
12-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Aloha, Hold the Fort! The "Cannot find CDROM" problem is due to a sensitive Disk 2 CD. I had the problem and went so far as to reinstall all three programs and still got the error message. Then I cleaned the laser lens of the CDROM and it worked and has not given me the message since. This CDROM would fail to Autorun sporadically with other CDs. I knew it was the CDROM because the program installed and worked flawlessly on my other machine with a brand new CDROM, so change or clean your CDROM! Hope this helps! Aloha

Frozenpeaz
12-04-2004, 01:17 AM
me and 5 of my friends had this problem tonight (just got game) All different computers. Some regular CDROM some BURNERS Mine is a 1 week old TDK DVD burner that hasnt had a problem installing ANYTHING else. I mean far far too many people are having this prblem there has to be an easy fix or patch?

WTE_Gog
12-04-2004, 08:06 PM
I am having this problem also but I think it is more a CDR fault than the actual disk.

Also, please, not another patch! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

441Spyder
12-05-2004, 03:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter82:
for those with NForce based boards...try using the MS IDE Driver instead of the Nvidia driver... this sometimes clears it up...

Not for the original poster as his issue is solved (bad copy) but for anyone who searches this topic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
------------------------------------------------
ok well for those with the Nforce chipsets download the latest chipset drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
and it should clear the problem up it did for me on my Nforce 2 board good luck

Krt_Bong
12-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Ive seen so many posts on this subject as to lose count but here goes: A buddy of mine just purchased PF from a Best Buy and installed over FB+AEP gold and got the dreaded no cd in drive message, uninstalled everything (3 times) tried different CD drives installed to a diff HDD still no joy. upon inspection of the disc discovered a discoloration resembling a coffee ring stain within the lamination of the disc! Does anyone having this problem have a similar or strange anomaly in the #2 disc? he was about to threaten lawsuits over un-reasonably pre-emptive copyright measures till he saw it, and when he takes it back he will physically examine the replacement before leaving the store. and I personally feel that software that examines your other Programs and/or Hardware border on spyware. I can't locate my other post or I would have quoted from it. My game runs fine but I posted in his behalf cos he would have ranted as he had been fussing with it for 4 hours

wintergoose
12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
You all blaiming on the PF CD-rom. I dont think the PF cd is the problem
I have also the same problem, but not only with the PF CD.
The PF autostarts ok but I cant reed the files on the CD from the explorer.
I also have the same problems with CDs burned on newer PCs.
My PC runs on Win 98 SE

Is the problem to old drivers for the CD player ?

I have both CD-player and CD burner on my PC in two devices.
Both have the same problem.

Anybody out ther realy knows what is going on ?