PDA

View Full Version : Help! Enemy saboteurs porked the FM in all my American Planes!

Saunders1953
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Seriously, help! I haven't seen this problem discussed before. This happened yesterday between missions. I switched from flying a Spit Vb to a mission in the Hawk 81 in Chuck-Olders WTCF campaign, and in order to fly it level from the get-go, I had to pull my joystick to the right almost the whole way. I exited the mission and tried flying several other planes (coincidentally all US planes)--same thing. With the stick centered, the left aerilon is up most of the way, and the right is down correspondingly. I have a Logitech Wingmen Extreme that I've had since 2002, but was out of use for about 2 years until last Fall. Used every day since, but never had any trouble with it. I re-calibrated several times, adjusted input settings---nothing.

When I tried the game tonight, I started in a Spit, and everything was fine, so I figured maybe it was humidity or dust (drywalling in the basement in the room next to my where my PC is set up) and things had settled down. But then I flew American, and the problem was back. On a hunch, I tried bunches of aircraft from most of the countries. Spits, Hurris, 109's, 190's Zeroes IL2's, Migs--all worked just fine--centered stick = level flight. But I tried A20, B25, F4Fs, P38, P39, P40, P47, P51 and every one had the same problem. WTF?!?!?!?!
Has Northrup/Grumman sent goons into my PC to bust the knee caps of the US planes' FM? Please Help!!
(I posted this at Community Help too, but this forum has more activity. Hope y'all don't mind.)

BSS_CUDA
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
heh logitec. your stick took a dump. time to buy a new one. I had 3 go bad in 4 months all the same thing wouldnt roll to the right. finally dumped my logitec

Saunders1953
04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
That's what I figured, but why only the planes for one country and not the others? And why no warning? Everything worked fine until I started a new mission and bang, there it was. (And everything else still works fine on all the US a/c, and everything works on all the counties a/c.)

Well, no matter if it is the stick, because I already ordered CH stick/throttle/pedals. (About 2 months ahead of schedule and budget, but I gotta fly, right?)

WOLFMondo
04-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Sounds like a weird problem that only affects youhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

F19_Olli72
04-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Logitech is well known for having gremlins in their sticks. Smash it and buy another brand and you'll be a-ok http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Grue_
04-08-2005, 06:53 AM
*Fact: Logitech currently occupy 1,234,422 cu ft of landfill with their joystick products.

*UBI forum fact - not be mistaken for truth.

Saunders1953
04-08-2005, 07:34 AM
WOLFMondo: That's what I'm thinking--Black Ops out to get me 'cause I know too much...how to remove gunsight covers, how to raise F4F landing gear, how to use chocks and the mirror...I'm a walking wealth of knowledge that threatens Corporate America, be sure.

Skycat_2
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
They took your P-51D FM and put it in my Go-229. Now I can't break 400km/hr on a level run. ???

Skinwehr
04-08-2005, 08:47 AM
The first time I flew the F4F I sank the USS Saratoga on takeoff because of that problem. I cursed the cheap potentiometers that Saitek uses,and punched the controller repeatedly, to try and unstick it. (also to make me feel better). It then dawned on me that perhaps during a period of disuse, the aileron trim knob had become turned all the way to the right. As I fly mostly German planes, I neglected this little preflight chore since there is onlt elevator trim on most german planes.

The punching, however, later affected the rudder potentiometer and the rudder would suddenly and without warning slam all the way to the right and stay there if I was below 50% throttle.

My suggestion to people who go through 3 and 4 joysticks a year, Keep them! Often something different will go wrong each time (which demonstrates the overall cheapness of most joysticks) so you will still have enough spare parts leftover to do any repair you want without going out and buying a whole new set. I have a plastic bag full of X-45 potentiometers and switches. I figure this unit will give me quite a few more years now.

PS. Once you open up one of these things you will quickly notice what a cracker Jack prise it really is. Anyone with an electronics for dummies book will appreciate the enormous potential for modding a flight controller will provide. There are 26 switches you can hijack in there.

p1ngu666
04-08-2005, 09:40 AM
indeed, try trim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Saunders1953
04-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I tried the hell out of trim....no dice. My real question, I guess, is why is it picking on only American planes? Are all their flight models the same or something? (Obviously not.) I've tried every Amercican flyable, and they all react the same, and no amount of trim does anything. All other planes--I've tried every nation and most varients (not every one, but the vast majority of them)and not a hint of the problem. I just want to make sure I don't have some other wierd problem going on. Can a joystick problem be confined to one nationality of planes? Other then the nationality, what do the US planes have in common that is not shared with others?

WTE_Ibis
04-09-2005, 02:16 AM
American pilots http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Well I don't think they employed Luftwaffe pilots http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
04-09-2005, 03:54 AM
There used to be a junk pile of joysticks just outside my window. Every now and again, I'd have to unplug my stick, chuck it out of the window, and get another one.

Then I noticed, just before unplugging the stick, that there was a 1 femtometre^2 hole in the wing of my usual ride, the 190, and it dawned on me that it might not be the stick after all.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Norris

MEGILE
04-09-2005, 04:18 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

carguy_
04-09-2005, 04:24 AM
That just has to be a sarcastic post!Because if it isn`t it`s easily the sillyest thread of the week!

stathem
04-09-2005, 04:45 AM
I've had a similar, or the same, problem, but then again, I also have a logitech (2.4 freedom) stick.

I thought it was related to getting damage on a previous mission, happened after I'd brought a badly damaged SBD-3 home(ZvsW), and tried to trim it out. After that, subsequent SBDs still felt like they had a bfo hole in the wing. (I had tried to re-centre all the trims) Switched servers, flew F4F, and same thing, but Spit was ok.

This was a couple of weeks ago, it's all fine now. Incidently, the first time it happened was with a La-5, couple of months ago, but again, it went away.

My stick is old and worn, and a new one's on the cards, but I changed the set-up to dial out most of the wear and it's been a lot better.

Saunders1953
04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Carguy, if you meant the original post, no, it was serious. Only the US types I listed above were affected. Btw, I have tested all of them in QMB with no enemy fighters/flak or other planes around--just the test plane taking off and flying around. It is very difficult to even take off, but I guess in a way it's good practice.

I assumed it was the stick--what else could it be--but I'm serious, it was only affecting those american planes. I never had a stick go bad before, so I wasn't sure this was a normal symptom. That's why I was asking around--I wondered if I picked up some sort of wierd bug from a download or something.

Anyway, last night in a Zero, its rudder started acting strange, then not responding, then normal again, etc. So the stick rot continues. It's a good excuse to get the complete CH package earlier than I had planned. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
04-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Have you checked you haven't got trim mapped to something that is causing a problem?

I had trim mapped to my mousewheel for a bit and wondered why I the controls had gone haywire. It turned out the mousewheel "initialises" itself to some low setting and this was causing the trim to go off on one. It does the same thing now I have mapped it to prop pitch - I have to move the wheel before take off just to set it up.

I suspect it isn't this because it would affect all planes but you never know.

Norris

Wilburnator
04-09-2005, 01:25 PM
I had this problem. It wasn't the stick, although I never did figure it out... it just stopped. Maybe it was after a graphic driver change, I dunno, I did something and it stopped. I would be online, having fun, and I'd choose, say, a Mustang. Once airborn, the plane would roll heavily to the right. I'd have to correct with almost full left aileron to keep the wings level. Then I'd try, a 109, or a Zero, all fine. All in the same game, no restart, no reboot. Only certain plane types would misbehave. P51s, P47s, P40s. Only restarting would allow me to fly these planes. All others (or most, didn't test them ALL) would work normally.

I wish I knew what it was that cured it. I'm also not trying to imply any "conspiracy" against allied planes. It was just some kind of bug. I like all the planes, but I most often fly axis types.

*Everything bad that you heard about Logitech Sticks is true. I've been through the buy/use/replace under warranty cycle with them too many times. I gave up on them. If you have a Logitech stick that works well, consider yourself lucky, and do yourself a favor when it finally quits. Replace it with another brand.

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I noticed it a while back in SBD (a few times).

could it be the Lawyers?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CAPT_COTTON
04-09-2005, 10:39 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
I fly with a logitech pro 3d sumting and its the cheap pots and you can spray them with WD40 and they will last a while longer but taking the thing apart is a chinese puzzel in its self and you said it set for a whil and the pots dried up ---i am trying to make a stick using the new lazer pots or light pots and it shoud not have that problem and some times in games i lose the calabration on stick?????? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I will always think it should have worked

stathem
04-10-2005, 08:47 AM
My Logitech sticks been ok, I suppose, it's just a little worn now, ~15 months of use. It was only 30, at the time I thought that was a lot of money, but I was just starting out.

Now I'm almost good enough to need all those extra buttons n stuff, I'll probably go X52, esp with the new FM on the way.

RedNeckerson
04-10-2005, 10:10 AM
I can confirm that Logitech sticks are real turds.

It's a shame too because I really like the ergonomics of the Extreme 3D Pro.

Mine alternates between spike right roll/only 25% right roll/no rudder input/rudder spike.

I will probably never buy another Logitech product because of it.