PDA

View Full Version : My Corsair still wobbles insanely, hows yours?

Xiolablu3
04-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I flew the Corsair on Winds Of War last night for the first time since the latest patch. It brought back all the horrible memories of trying to aim with the P51 pre patch.

It wobbles from side to side insanely so that its almost impossible to train your guns on any enemy. Its as tho you are moving the rudder from side to side all the time.

From the amount of Corsairs on the map I cant think others had the same trouble, as I had to take an F4F3 instead because the wobbles were so bad.

To summarise, the last patch stopped my P51 wobbles, but the Corsair MkI (the only F4U I have tried) is terrible. The plane is unusable in a fight.

Can anyone tell me how their Corsair flies, has any comments or a solution please?

Xiolablu3
04-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I flew the Corsair on Winds Of War last night for the first time since the latest patch. It brought back all the horrible memories of trying to aim with the P51 pre patch.

It wobbles from side to side insanely so that its almost impossible to train your guns on any enemy. Its as tho you are moving the rudder from side to side all the time.

From the amount of Corsairs on the map I cant think others had the same trouble, as I had to take an F4F3 instead because the wobbles were so bad.

To summarise, the last patch stopped my P51 wobbles, but the Corsair MkI (the only F4U I have tried) is terrible. The plane is unusable in a fight.

Can anyone tell me how their Corsair flies, has any comments or a solution please?

Bremspropeller
04-22-2006, 09:32 AM
I flew a P-51 (offline) some couple of minutes ago and the wobbles are still there - if not with their full extent from pre- 4.04m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PBNA-Boosher
04-22-2006, 09:47 AM
I still get the wobbles and crazy .50 cal shakes when I fire, though I doubt it would happen like that with 6 .50's in the real corsair. Still, that didn't stop me from getting a 3 kill in a row sortie 3 times in a row, and I wasn't even touched by enemy gunfire. (Winds of War)u

If you keep your speed up, the wobbles won't matter, the Zekes can't catch you.

Texan...
04-22-2006, 09:53 AM
It's not just you. I'd say many others on that server were probably just dealing with it as best they could. Or, they simply don't know any better. This problem pretty much relegates the F4U to a lowly status. You can see 3 and 4 Corsairs tangling with a single A6M and it drags on forever. And it AIN'T because the Zero guy is some fighter god. The F4U fliers simply can't get the reticle to settle down.

Plug in the P38J into that same 1943 scenario, use the same tactics and the A6Ms fall from the sky. Yes, fabulous hitting power in the J, but the F4U's 6 x .50 is PLENTY for a Zero. You simply cannot aim them.

C'mon 1C, she has a mighty large horizontal stab to be washing around the sky like this. Like many US and English aircraft, it seems to be centered around an improper COG coding.

http://www.air-and-space.com/20011006%20Chino/4%2011%20F4U-1%20NX83782%20right%20side%20take-off%20l.jpg

p-11.cAce
04-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Actually it is the vertical stab that damps yawing motion - not the horizontal stab(which damps pitching) - and if you note in the pic you posted about 3/4ths of the total vertical surface chord is rudder and about 1/4 of the width is stabilizer...actually less when you account for the aerodynamic counterbalance. Try flying faster and not dancing on the rudder - most wobbles in game happen for the same reason as they do in RL: the pilot does not allow for the inertia of the aircraft when making control inputs and sets up a PIO. Flying is not like driving - it takes time for a control input to get the a/c moving and it takes time after the input for it to stop.

ploughman
04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Wobbles like it doesn't have a vertical stabiliser. I don't have anything mapped to the rudder so I don't use it (bummer huh?) so any wobble is not due to me stamping on my pedals.

Xiolablu3
04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Actually it is the vertical stab that damps yawing motion - not the horizontal stab(which damps pitching) - and if you note in the pic you posted about 3/4ths of the total vertical surface chord is rudder and about 1/4 of the width is stabilizer...actually less when you account for the aerodynamic counterbalance. Try flying faster and not dancing on the rudder - most wobbles in game happen for the same reason as they do in RL: the pilot does not allow for the inertia of the aircraft when making control inputs and sets up a PIO. Flying is not like driving - it takes time for a control input to get the a/c moving and it takes time after the input for it to stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you are saying P11 ace, but the Corsair is the ONLY plane with this problem for me now. Plus its so bad that I cant think its meant to be like that and its a bug.

I was not even using rudder, just moving the stick. It was impossible to get a plane in my sights except for a snap shot as the wobble passed over the enemy plane. Any slight move of the stick responded with a massive wobble from side to side. If you dont think this is a bug, then I am thinking it probably is nt affecting you - its that bad.

I think the Corsair needs the same 'fix' for some people that the p51 got last patch.

Ploughman has it spot on, its like other planes after the rudder has been shot off/no vertical stabaliser, that EXACT same effect. (yaw from side to side)

p-11.cAce
04-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I see what you mean - maybe 1c is working on the adverse yaw mod and they have it overtweaked on this FM...just a thought. You should get some yaw motion with the application of aileron input; however the motion should be damped by the vertical stab more than it seems to be imho. If you are getting bad wobbles without rudder input it might be an effect of uncoordinated flight.

georgeo76
04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
The Corsair requires tons of rudder in the roll. All AC behave this way (look it up) it's just more pronounced in the Corsair. I suspect that the other AC in the game should perform more like the corsair (essp if some view the flight model as rudder optional). Proper rudder control will offset the 'wobbles'. Toning down the realism settings works as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:
I don't have anything mapped to the rudder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JG4_Helofly
04-22-2006, 12:35 PM
We must also keep in mind that not all aircraft were stable. Some fighters had minimal "woobles" and where exellent gun platforms exemple fw 190. Other fighters where less stable and worser gun platforms like the bf 109.

I don't know for the corsair, any report about that?

ploughman
04-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Georgeo, I'm used to having some wobble as a result of not being able to input any rudder but to me the Corsair feels a lot like I've got no stabiliser at all. Maybe, as you suggest, this is because the Corsair is particularily sensitive to lack of co-ordinated rudder input and would explain why I find it exceptionally wobbly.

I've been playing this sim for a few years now and am pretty used to how alot of planes feel. Some, in the absence of rudder input, are nightmares. The P-39 stands out as an all time spin queen and I stay away from it. The MK V Spitfire, funnily enough, doesn't like no rudder neither and yet the VIIIs and IXs are just fine, nice and stable. So no, not all planes in this sim are like the Corsair.

R_Target
04-22-2006, 12:52 PM
It's not nearly as bad as it was, the real problem is the asymmetric recoil kick when you pull the trigger.

rnzoli
04-22-2006, 01:02 PM
absolutely, ground strafing is a nightmare, have to apply lots of left rudder to compensate a bit for this strange asymmetric recoil effect....grrrrr

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-22-2006, 01:13 PM
The Corsair and the Hellcat suffer from this. Its like Oleg forgot about them when he fixed the rest. The Hellcat is just plain a pos, Id rather fly a Wildcat anyday. The Hellcat dont even come close to performing how history claims it should. Wildcats are probably a tad too good, even though the Zeke still easily outclasses it.

VW-IceFire
04-22-2006, 02:31 PM
The three USN birds suffer from wobble while most of the other fighters are back to being fairly stable. Why this is I don't know...

The best thing to do with the Corsair is to dull the rudder response on your joystick which will help compensate for that.

Xiolablu3
04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
You know guys, the F4F3 is fine for me, and the P51 doesnt wobble at all after the last patch. This is what makes me think its a bug which affects some and not others.

The Corsair is the only one left for me with the insane 'wobbles'.

I thought the last patch fixed it for the p51 for everyone, maybe I am wrong?

Texan...
04-24-2006, 09:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG4_Helofly:
We must also keep in mind that not all aircraft were stable. Some fighters had minimal "woobles" and where exellent gun platforms exemple fw 190. Other fighters where less stable and worser gun platforms like the bf 109.

I don't know for the corsair, any report about that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And yet the 109 is absolutely rock stable.

(and yes I meant to say VERT not HORIZ)