PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the 3 screen adapter "Tripple Head 2 Go" with TrackIR?

major_setback
04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
To anyone using the 3 screen adapter "Tripple Head 2 Go" with TrackIR: how well does that work?

I have TrackIR and would be interested to know how well this combination works. It seems like it might be a more natural way of viewing, where you could ex. look to the left screen for a left-hand view.

major_setback
04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
To anyone using the 3 screen adapter "Tripple Head 2 Go" with TrackIR: how well does that work?

I have TrackIR and would be interested to know how well this combination works. It seems like it might be a more natural way of viewing, where you could ex. look to the left screen for a left-hand view.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't use it but most of those who have posted using TH2G in the past have stated they use trackIR and are very happy with it.

striker-85
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I use the TH2G with Track IR and like it. The TH2G is not a Track IR replacement, I consider Track IR to be much more important than a TH2G.

The Use3Renders option and a TH2G provides peripheral vision that you can't get in a single widescreen. This is done in IL-2 with the Use3Renders option, the TH2G doesn't actually do anything other than split the output to 3 screens. It is because Oleg has created a Use3Renders option in Il-2 that you can put a different view on each monitor

A single widescreen display shows one view. With the TH2G you have that same view on its center monitor and on the left monitor you have the left view (same as using the hat switch to look left) and on the right monitor you have the right view (same as using the hat switch to look right).

There are *many* considerations you must take into account if you want to use a TH2G.

1) The Use3Renders option is what enables the 3 views for TH2G. These 3 views must be a 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning you will have 3 screens each with a 800x600 or 1024x768 or 1280x960 resolution.

2) Because of the 4:3 aspect ratio requirement it is best to use CRTs. You can use LCDs but you will want to research the models and see how running a 4:3 aspect size will look on it. Most LCDs will not look that good when running in their non native mode to display a 4:3 aspect, so it is important to get the right LCDs if you want to use them for IL-2 and TH2G. I opted for some cheap 22" CRTs that I picked up for $40 each and they display quite well and provides a very good peripheral vision.

3) There is a bug when using the Use3Renders option and running in Perfect mode. It causes a small flashing black box in the bottom left of the far left monitor. This is a little annoying but because my monitors are so large I rarely notice this.

Lurch1962
04-23-2008, 06:08 PM
With TH2Go at the 90 degree FOV you have 3X90=270 degree wide horizontal view! When the monitors are the usual size and located at the typical distance from your eyes, the peripheral views will likely look strange, with the wings seeming to thrust forward at a quite rakish angle.

The ultimate setup would be three rear projection screens, each at least 4 feet wide, and joined exactly edge-to-edge. Moreover, the ideal (and actually quite correct) arrangement is to have the three screens perpendicular to each other, that is, effectively making three sides of a box. With your head precisely in the center, you would have an absolutely distortionless view! This is because the distortion of the gnomonic projection, when seen from a position which yields an apparent angular size of the view identical to the rendered FOV, is exactly canceled when shown on any flat surface.

With so much screen real estate, a TrackIR setup could be configured so as to come reasonably close (certainly much more so that with a single little monitor) approximation of 1:1 head movement.

funkster319
04-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Had a TH2GO , Hated it , Sold it and bought a better 24" WideScreen which in my opinion is a much better option.

TH2GO works with TIR but read up about TH2GO before you buy!

Search my posts here for more detail. Just not worth the outlay for extra monitors / unit etc

major_setback
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I have three monitors, so I have been toying with the idea of buying the unit. Space is a problem though: my comp sits in the living room, and 3 monitors looks just a bit too geeky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Otherwise this seems like a solution to a problem I have with Track IR; I have varifocal glasses, and the way Track IR works at the moment gives me eye strain - I have to look through the wrong part of the lens when moving my head. I think this may be a way of avoiding that problem.

funkster319
04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Only if your prepared to go back to Padlock and mouseview. TrackIR is still needed with TH2GO...it really doesn't add that much to your peripheral vision. Also be wary that you can only run in something like 3*1024*968 or something like that and you will take a FPS hit! So hope your system is bang up to date if your hopeing to run on full specs etc.

Gnomie
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I like Alienware's idea. They've got a prototype 2880 x 900 curved monitor up and running.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1691/two440vp2.jpg

Imagine that with a flight sim! There's more info here (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/alienware-curved-display-rocks-crysis-at-2880-x-900/). Apparently they're hoping to relase it to the market some time this year.

striker-85
04-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Major,

I don't recommend you use the TH2G without a TIR, it is definately not a TIR replacement.

Funkster also makes another good point I forgot to mention, using a TH2G will greatly increase the amount graphics processing required so a good video card is a must. I use an Nvidia 8800 GTX and I get great frame rates at 3x1024x768 with 4xAA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gnomie:
I like Alienware's idea. They've got a prototype 2880 x 900 curved monitor up and running. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a cool looking monitor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif but it will not work very well with IL-2. Maybe SOW BoB will be able to support it.

With IL-2 if you treat that monitor as a single widescreen your FOV will be very small. The wider your display, and 2880 is very wide, the closer you will be to the front of your cockpit. I image you wouldn't see much more than the gunsight if this width was used in single view mode.

On the other hand If you try to use the 3 view option then you will have to run in a 4:3 aspect ratio of 3 x 800x600 or 3x 1024x768 on that monitor. Running one of these non native resolutions will probably not look good on the monitor.

I bet FSX and other games look awesome on that monitor though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Lurch1962
04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
striker,
The very wide aspect won't result in your virtual point of view moving *physically* closer to the gun sight--your virtual self will still be sitting in the same place in the cockpit. You would still get the same horizontal FOV view angles that we get now, e.g., 90 degres at the widest, but the vertical view angle would be so restricted that the effect would be very like a tank slit!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

major_setback,
Are your varifocal glasses really required when sitting at a fixed distance from your monitor? I suspect you should get along fine with a single focal length pair of reading glasses. Ask you opthamologist what diopter range would work for you (or try out a few pairs to see which ones offer the most comfortable focus at the typical distance between your eyes and monitor.)

The other thing to consider... do you have rather bad astigmatism? (I have 3/4 and 1 diopter of astigmatism, but don't wear corrective glasses.) If not much worse than this, you should be able to ignore it and go with readers for your gaming sessions. And no, your eyes will not deteriorate because of this!

Do whatever you must in order to keep your TrackIR in use!!!

striker-85
04-28-2008, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:
striker,
The very wide aspect won't result in your virtual point of view moving *physically* closer to the gun sight--your virtual self will still be sitting in the same place in the cockpit. You would still get the same horizontal FOV view angles that we get now, e.g., 90 degres at the widest, but the vertical view angle would be so restricted that the effect would be very like a tank slit!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was trying to say, you have described it much better, thx

Manos1
04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
The laft and right monitors have to be inclined a lot more in order to give you the right feeling (otherwise it is strange with wings extending forward).
Three separate monitors is much better.
TrackIR works very well. Should not be without it...
http://www.e-335thgr.com/Athos/TripleHead2Go_01.JPG

At this level of resolutions (3072x768) you do need the best graphics card money can buy, two 8800GTX here...otherwise your fps will suffer dearly.

Stiletto-
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Looks good Manos, I was considerinf getting a TH2GO, but once I found out you couldnt use different monitor sizes, I realized it wasnt for me. I have a very nice 24 inch widescreen, and I would like to use 2 old 4:3 aspect ratio 17 inch monitors on the sides with the middle one being my nicer, wider monitor.. Not setting this baby aside for another old 4:3.

major_setback
05-01-2008, 03:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:
striker,
The very wide aspect won't result in your virtual point of view moving *physically* closer to the gun sight--your virtual self will still be sitting in the same place in the cockpit. You would still get the same horizontal FOV view angles that we get now, e.g., 90 degres at the widest, but the vertical view angle would be so restricted that the effect would be very like a tank slit!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

major_setback,
Are your varifocal glasses really required when sitting at a fixed distance from your monitor? I suspect you should get along fine with a single focal length pair of reading glasses. Ask you opthamologist what diopter range would work for you (or try out a few pairs to see which ones offer the most comfortable focus at the typical distance between your eyes and monitor.)

The other thing to consider... do you have rather bad astigmatism? (I have 3/4 and 1 diopter of astigmatism, but don't wear corrective glasses.) If not much worse than this, you should be able to ignore it and go with readers for your gaming sessions. And no, your eyes will not deteriorate because of this!

Do whatever you must in order to keep your TrackIR in use!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone else pointed this out a while ago - I will try to get a pair of glasses just for the compputer. I was really wondering about how Track IR works with multiple monitors.

x6BL_Brando
05-01-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm just nipping out to pick up my two new pairs of glasses from Specsavers today! They have their regular 2 for 1 offer on, and I'm collecting a pair of varifocals and a pair for computering in. I've been using glasses for VDU work for the last 5 years and they've been a real boon - no blurring when you look around your pit/desk at various items, and the only problem is remembering to switch over when you leave the PC.

My last eye-test revealed that my distance vision was unaltered, but my reading vision has deteriorated (in line with my advancing age) so it should all be a little sharper after today. The type of lens required for reading work is really cheap, so I'm winning all round with the 2:1 offer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

B

Lurch1962
05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I've tried many "ready readers" from so-called dollar stores, each costing just a couple of bucks. They've all been more than good enough. But I make sure the frames allow the lenses to line up properly in the vertical direction so as to afford strain-free viewing over extended sessions.

Also, due to the close distance between my eyes and screen (approx. 1 foot), I sought out glasses with the largest lenses in order to enjoy the full screen viewing experience. No "tank slits" for me!