PDA

View Full Version : OT: Battlefield

Divine-Wind
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone else play this series? It's rather arcadey, to be sure, but with the Forgotten Hope mod (for BF1942 only, at the moment) it becomes far better. The dogfighting isn't anywhere near IL2 (or even CFS3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif), but with a good group of people, it can be as good as flying with friends on a quality FB server.

Divine-Wind
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone else play this series? It's rather arcadey, to be sure, but with the Forgotten Hope mod (for BF1942 only, at the moment) it becomes far better. The dogfighting isn't anywhere near IL2 (or even CFS3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif), but with a good group of people, it can be as good as flying with friends on a quality FB server.

JFC_Rautaristi
09-05-2006, 01:15 PM
The game in itself is useless, as is BF2 (i used to play them both but not anymore).

But Forgotten Hope does wonders to BF1942. It's such a difference. A lot better than the original, not comparable. I love being able to shoot someone with a rifle and actually kill him without a "headshot". Teamwork is the key, lone wolfs get slaughtered (assuming the other team has teamwork).

Flying is still a big no-no, the model hasn't changed. It really shouldn't in this kind of game anyway. The good thing is, planes don't carry millions of bombs anymore, and fighters don't even have them. Fighters having separate ammo for guns and cannons is a nice feature as well.

I'm eagerly looking forward to FH2. Once it comes out, I'll be in heaven.

anarchy52
09-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I play realitymod. Flying in general sucks in bf2, especially jets.

MEGILE
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
waited an eternity for that mod for BF2.

Gave up a few months back.

TAW_Oilburner
09-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Yes..FH with the planes omitted is excellent. I haven't given up on FH2, I've learned patience from Oleghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

tigertalon
09-05-2006, 05:30 PM
There are other games?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Divine-Wind
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
No... They're just myths, like the 'Outdoors,' or 'life'...

VW-IceFire
09-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I have Battlefield 2....its not bad. Good for a laugh. Generally the players who populate the servers tend to have IQ's of 15 and the attention span of a hyperactive squirrel. It makes my small amounts of ADD pale in comparison.

Usually I give up trying to co-ordinate people and I just lone wolf it as a sniper.

general_kalle
09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
STOP critisation. cant stand hearing it

i (played) bf1942 and now i play bf2 stock game. and no ur wrong its a great game!!

Professor_1942
09-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm eagerly awaiting FH2 as well... vanilla BF2 is a complete waste of time.

crazyivan1970
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I enjoyed BF1942 and FH mode for it. Lots of fun. BF2 i actually hated, just didnt click for me i guess.

Really enjoying red orchestra lately. Excellent online experiance IMO.

BiscuitKnight
09-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Mixed feelings. I loved playing Bf1942 with mates, there was NOTHING like it I think. I'll miss the days where I'd play with my mate CD, I'd blow up with tank at a range where he couldn't touch me, then he'd respawn and charge at me in desperation, knife twirling wildly. It was quite something to really get the teamwork going, for example on Kursk having one guy on the Katyusha raining hell on the German base, while tanks dominated the East Bank high ground and your team's planes kept the enemy suppressed.

BF2 is rather different, and the biggest change for me is that our clan drifted away. We always found it hard to gain new members, and I'm still not sure why: we could hold our own, we were usually pretty courteous, we welcomed people, so I dunno what we did wrong.

Since my clan's gone, the main playing is on public servers. And those are worse than in 42. In 1942 I disliked pubs quite often. Usually with three mates it was tolerable, but now I'm pretty much on my own. It's hard to find guys who'll work as a really good team, although it's somewhat less important: in BF42 we used to pair medics with the other kits, that way we had the firepower of a medic with the equipment of say an AT or engineer. The engy-medic combo was great, you had everything possible. I remember having my mates cover me with SMGs while I threw mines on tanks. Switching from that to BF2 where I could have a guy with an AT kit run away from a tank and leave me as a medic to try and stop it capturing our CP, or watching medics leave three guys critical when I had an AT kit, it was frustrating.

I haven't played BF2 in a while, but I'll go back. There's a fair element of skill involved in the infantry combat I find, because you need to fire in bursts, crouch, etc, in BF42 you just sprayed at the target while running and it hit, even with rifles. The fact that EA advertised if for above 8 annoys me, they should have made it M15 at least, MA15+ would have been better, because it limits the amount of younger kids that act like idiots. Overall it needs improvement in areas like the AA, aircraft, etc, my mate complains constantly about the air combat, he plays F4:AF, so you can imagine he hates the contrast. It needs not to be marketed at kids, that would fix it mostly.

BF is good in theory I find, BF42 was a casual game, but BF2 is for the hardcore gamers more. Shame that they didn't pull it off properly.

Capt.LoneRanger
09-07-2006, 05:41 AM
BF2 has an official stats-server - you wanna see how somebody plays, who was No1 for several month?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_lsxWi6DJc

The Demo was pretty good, the Full was a bit buggy. The patches made it all worse. Horrible support.

But the planes are the best. The faster they get, the closer they can turn. If you go with minimum power, you need about 10 miles for a turn. With AB its about 200m.
Same ist for small arms. If you ever played with a BF2's Cal 50 Sniper-Rifle, you'll come back here and praise Oleg for the Super-Dooper-Uber-50s. I waited and hoped for 1.4 but with the released on tuesday, BF2 lost any credability for me.

PS: In case you wonder about the movement in the video above: That is common on servers and though the whole community cries to eliminate that, Dice answered, that taking this out of the game would eliminate gameplay and speed. IMHO this say it all.

flakwagen
09-07-2006, 07:31 AM
BF2 was a giant step backwards from BF1942 as far as I am concerned. I don't think I could begin to list the number of defects and inferior features that were purposely incorporated into it by the developers.

It is a classic example of how a relatively small game can become very popular and then turned into a complete sequel-turd in pursuit of revenue.

The same thing happened to Half-Life 2. It is unfortunate, as I get sick of flight simulators from time to time. But I've not yet seen a replacement for BF1942 on the horizon. Armed Assault will allegedly be a big success, with the kind of features BF2 should've had. But I'll wait and see. I've been turned into a big cynic by Electronic Arts.

Flak

DuxCorvan
09-07-2006, 07:53 AM
BF2 is like BF1942 without the fun. I mean, it is far more competitive, more selfish and, despite its potential, far less cooperative. When they added the ranks they should have known people, specially teens, would start acting like jerks in the frantic search for points.

It's very hard and frustrating for the casual rookie player, who feels less integrated and is simply torn apart by enemy veterans, while he is simply forsaken or even despised by his team-mates, agravated by the fact that, with the ranked system, his n00b status is there obvious for all to see.

I rarely play BF2. In BF1942 I had that fun feeling that here is lost. In BF2, everybody looks angry and obsessed.

The.Tyke
09-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Is FH 2 for Battlefield 1942 or BF2 ? I thought about getting back into Battlefield 1942 again, is the FH just an add on because it's ages since it was last on my pc and I'm not sure what I need to download to get it up and running again.

waffen-79
09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Even in OFP the FM's suck big time

Try the oldie but goldie OFP plus its expanssion pack and latest patches, if immersion means anything to you, it's never going to be the same again.

Or if you really like eyecandy and ww2 its your thing PLUS immersion and realism then you're better off with Red Orchestra