PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

sailorman.jim
01-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Hi, I am living in Brazil and am new to Pacific Fighters. I have used Game Cam to make videos with another Sim. (search slrman on www.youtube.com) (http://www.youtube.com)) With Game Cam loaded, PF never loads. Fraps, when I had it, degraded the frame rate so badly nothing was useable.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

sailorman.jim
01-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Hi, I am living in Brazil and am new to Pacific Fighters. I have used Game Cam to make videos with another Sim. (search slrman on www.youtube.com) (http://www.youtube.com)) With Game Cam loaded, PF never loads. Fraps, when I had it, degraded the frame rate so badly nothing was useable.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

FritzGryphon
01-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Most I hear use Fraps.

To get good video, you should record a track first. Then capture the video from the track at 1/2 or 1/4 speed, at a low frame rate. Then, use some video editing software to speed the video up.

For example, I might capture at 1/2 speed at 12 FPS. Then in Premiere, I speed this video up to 24 FPS.

You would need an extremely good computer to capture in real-time, expecially if you're using high resolution.

major_setback
01-24-2007, 06:51 AM
You should assign a key to start recording, so that the track is reorded in the right format, and plays back without corruption (should be in ntrk format).

Also, remember you can use exterior views, and change your views during playback.

sailorman.jim
01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
I see I have a lot to learn about this. I have figured out how to record a track, then play it back. It's recording with a capture program that isn't working for me. I can adjust the playback speed in Vegas after I get it recorded, but it makes keeping the audio in sync very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult.

sailorman.jim
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the input. I knew I had a steep learning curve and I'm happy to say, I made the first short video as a test. I still have lot to learn!

I think as I discover al the features, I'll be able to do some nice stuff. For now, the quality of the video is pretty bad. I have things set to high in PF, but the video quality still is poor.

In the meantime, I'm having fun, so what?

Thanks again for the replies.

STENKA_69.GIAP
01-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Audio in Sync...quality probs

Most people making movies do not use the in game sound. Do not record sound in Fraps.

Record using fraps 800x600 res at 15fps while playing back the track at half speed.

Then assemble clips in your editor doubling speed up to 30fps.

This gives smoother and higher quality as your graphics card is less stressed.

Then add soundtrack in layers, music, plane noises, guns, bombs actors.

I normaly find all noises and sounds scanning the web for sound libraries.

Do not use a codec to compress untill the end - otherwise you degrade quality.

To see an example of the difference all this makes click on my badge to access the GIAP site you will find Mayyas drive in movies in menu on left. First watch something recent like VVS Airlines then look at an early film like Eye of the Storm.

sailorman.jim
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Than KS for the reply. I would never have thought of playing back at 1/2 speed. I would have done it at double speed.

I don't use Fraps because it degrades the frame rate so much. Game Cam 1.4 does a better job and the sound in it is acceptable.

I look forward to checking out your videos. You can see some I have made on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com). Just search on slrman.

Thanks again,

Jim