PDA

View Full Version : control input delay

Ruderdyne
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm curious if any improvement can be made to the response time between joystick input and actual control surface movement. This effect is obvious from an external view. The control surfaces only move so fast, no matter how fast you move the stick. In reality, you can move the control surfaces much quicker.

Even large aircraft with hydraulically boosted controls have no noticeable delay between pilot input and control surface movement. i.e., the control surfaces move as quickly as you can physically move the stick and rudder pedals, which is pretty fast. Obviously on a sim, you can move the little plastic joystick rather quickly compared to the control linkages on WWII aircraft, but the control surfaces could still move a litte faster in order to be more realistic.

The idea here is that control input on real aircraft is, for all practical purposes, instaneous. Any delay in aircraft response (change in attitude and flight path) is due the inertia of the mass of the airplane ONLY. The problem with IL-2 is that in addition to the inertia of the airplane, you have to also anticipate the delay in control response. This extra level of delay is not realistic.

Any fix for this? I wouldn't bother to bring it up if I didn't already love this sim.

Ruderdyne
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm curious if any improvement can be made to the response time between joystick input and actual control surface movement. This effect is obvious from an external view. The control surfaces only move so fast, no matter how fast you move the stick. In reality, you can move the control surfaces much quicker.

Even large aircraft with hydraulically boosted controls have no noticeable delay between pilot input and control surface movement. i.e., the control surfaces move as quickly as you can physically move the stick and rudder pedals, which is pretty fast. Obviously on a sim, you can move the little plastic joystick rather quickly compared to the control linkages on WWII aircraft, but the control surfaces could still move a litte faster in order to be more realistic.

The idea here is that control input on real aircraft is, for all practical purposes, instaneous. Any delay in aircraft response (change in attitude and flight path) is due the inertia of the mass of the airplane ONLY. The problem with IL-2 is that in addition to the inertia of the airplane, you have to also anticipate the delay in control response. This extra level of delay is not realistic.

Any fix for this? I wouldn't bother to bring it up if I didn't already love this sim.

FritzGryphon
09-27-2005, 12:30 AM
This was discussed once before. Turns out the actual response is instantaneous. If you assign the controls to keyboard keys, and see that you get maximum control response long before the surface has visually reached full deflection.

The graphical surfaces have a max rotation speed or some kind of filtering, probably to prevent ugly looking jitter.

Ruderdyne
09-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Fritz. (Dang, now I'm going to have to come up with some other excuse as to why I can't consistently roundout into a nice three point in the manner to which my ego has become dellusioned.)