PDA

View Full Version : (last question, promise : ) Graphics question: about the 8800>

NeuralTech
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a 6800 with the extra 4 pipelines unlocked.

I play in 1024x768 with 4xAA enabled in the Nvidia panel, no AS (can't tell a difference at all). Tiny, 17" monitor (I know, harhar).

I'm in the midst of building my new game comps - the 8800 GTX (the ultra isn't worth the extra dough) is what I'm going to go with. Quad core cpus, 10k drives to put Windows on, yada...

I'm basically interested in knowing what I'm going to be able to run the game in - graphics wise.

As of now - I've got everything turned ALL the way up EXCEPT for Forest and Water. Currently on my 68, I've got Forest=2 and Water=2. If I try to use Forest=3 and Water=4 with the shader thingy set to 1 so those two parameters will render in 'perfect mode', I get this dreaded black ring around my plane when I'm over a body of water, and my framerate comes down probably 10-20 frames depending on how many models are on the screen.

One other worthy note: there is a custom B-17 intercept mission (got it off of this board) where you intercept 40+ B-17s at once. This particular map runs perfectly until I get close to the B-17 formation... at that time, my frames probably drop 5-15.. nothing major, but it's definitely noticable... and understandable, 40+ badass looking models is work for my lil 68.

Now (lol), with all that in mind:

I am curious as to how the 8800 GTX performs in the situations I mentioned.

Will I be able to play the game with the perfect landscape/water/trees with ZERO defects and hits on my framerate? And also, will having say.... 150 models on the screen at once (planes that is) bog the mighty 88 down at all?

Will I be able to play it in 1600x1280 with 8xAA (19" monitor is as big as I ever wanna get, just my preference, don't like big monitors) and all graphics turned 100% up and still get 60+ frames/sec???

Reason I'm prying you guys about this is because when one reads the readme files about the "perfect" landscape/water settings, they recommend the 6800 and specifically say only the 6800 is capable of doing it, BUT, like I mentioned: I don't get ample performance.

Sorry for the short novel to read, guys - this is my last tedious question for you fine fellows.

Again, thanks for ALL the help,

Chr*s

NeuralTech
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a 6800 with the extra 4 pipelines unlocked.

I play in 1024x768 with 4xAA enabled in the Nvidia panel, no AS (can't tell a difference at all). Tiny, 17" monitor (I know, harhar).

I'm in the midst of building my new game comps - the 8800 GTX (the ultra isn't worth the extra dough) is what I'm going to go with. Quad core cpus, 10k drives to put Windows on, yada...

I'm basically interested in knowing what I'm going to be able to run the game in - graphics wise.

As of now - I've got everything turned ALL the way up EXCEPT for Forest and Water. Currently on my 68, I've got Forest=2 and Water=2. If I try to use Forest=3 and Water=4 with the shader thingy set to 1 so those two parameters will render in 'perfect mode', I get this dreaded black ring around my plane when I'm over a body of water, and my framerate comes down probably 10-20 frames depending on how many models are on the screen.

One other worthy note: there is a custom B-17 intercept mission (got it off of this board) where you intercept 40+ B-17s at once. This particular map runs perfectly until I get close to the B-17 formation... at that time, my frames probably drop 5-15.. nothing major, but it's definitely noticable... and understandable, 40+ badass looking models is work for my lil 68.

Now (lol), with all that in mind:

I am curious as to how the 8800 GTX performs in the situations I mentioned.

Will I be able to play the game with the perfect landscape/water/trees with ZERO defects and hits on my framerate? And also, will having say.... 150 models on the screen at once (planes that is) bog the mighty 88 down at all?

Will I be able to play it in 1600x1280 with 8xAA (19" monitor is as big as I ever wanna get, just my preference, don't like big monitors) and all graphics turned 100% up and still get 60+ frames/sec???

Reason I'm prying you guys about this is because when one reads the readme files about the "perfect" landscape/water settings, they recommend the 6800 and specifically say only the 6800 is capable of doing it, BUT, like I mentioned: I don't get ample performance.

Sorry for the short novel to read, guys - this is my last tedious question for you fine fellows.

Again, thanks for ALL the help,

Chr*s

claypidgon
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
If you keep the system clean and defraged,spyware etc you can max everything out.Of course some of it depends on your CPU..I have an INTEL CORE 2 EXTREAME 6800@3.45 and an 8800ULTRA and everything maxed out and it never falls below 100 fps.If I told you what it runs at offline over water you would have me commited..

NeuralTech
08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
So, you can join a server with the full 128 possible slots filled - with graphics 100% up in a high reso.... and not lose a single frame...

Is that basically what you're saying??
Also, what reso are you in, what size monitor, and what kind of AA if any are you using?

thks

You don't see ANY artifacts of any kind with the water being perfect? no black ring?

stansdds
08-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Even with a Core2Duo and a 8800GTX you should be able to max out the settings in IL2, run 4xAA and even use AF and still get frame rates that give most of us a case of computer envy.