PDA

View Full Version : Russian Jets in "IL2-'46"

e2michaelb
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
How does one get any speed out of the Russian jets? Once I take off, they climb very poorly and can't seem to get to, much less above 400kmh unless in a dive. The prop 'planes both climb and accelerate better. I am sure it is something I am not doing, I just don't know what. Also, it seems like every time I engage a throttle setting in excess of 80-85% for more than a short burst, the engine immediately overheats! Several off-line sorties have resulted in A/I HE-162's literally flying high circles around my MiG-9's and Yak-15's.

e2michaelb
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
How does one get any speed out of the Russian jets? Once I take off, they climb very poorly and can't seem to get to, much less above 400kmh unless in a dive. The prop 'planes both climb and accelerate better. I am sure it is something I am not doing, I just don't know what. Also, it seems like every time I engage a throttle setting in excess of 80-85% for more than a short burst, the engine immediately overheats! Several off-line sorties have resulted in A/I HE-162's literally flying high circles around my MiG-9's and Yak-15's.

VBF-12_sluggo
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome to early jets....

Pigeon_
10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I was flying the MiG-9FS the other day in 4.08 Jets and I was kicking some major butt with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The trick is to adjust the throttle to your IAS (speed). 85% seemed like an ok setting at lower speeds. Increase slightly as speed increases. Go 100% at speeds of 600 km/h or higher.

Don't make tight turns and try to keep your energy. It doesn't climb very well, but once you have some energy you'll just keep on going... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DKoor
10-12-2007, 03:58 PM
e2michaelb try TA-183, that one is probably best of all jets.
It comes with the 1946.
Trouble is.......bulk of them are poor climbers, if we take into account their overall performance.

Do not let that dishearten you; once at speed and alt they are da bomb.
Some of these jets, like MiG-9 are extremely durable in game..........

You can see this interesting track (http://www.esnips.com/doc/cb3c67b9-0ceb-47cb-9037-c149f05bc551/DKoor9FS-4xB29-4071)....shooting down 4 B-29s in QMB and landing all under 10mins.

VW-IceFire
10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Jets climb well at high speeds and very poorly at low speeds. At least the early ones do...just not enough thrust. Most of their speed is accomplished by not having a propeller in front dragging the plane down.

A MiG-9 will look like its getting out done by He-162s that are higher by pilots who nose up and try and climb up to them. The focus should be on keeping the climb angle low but the speed high and use short zoom climbs in combat to get to the desired altitude.

LEXX_Luthor
10-12-2007, 09:16 PM
You will get a good climb rate if you climb at *high* speed but not too steep. Wait for speed to build up, it takes a long time. This was a big problem for the WW2 -262 pilots. But when you get that speed, you can rule the skies with it, as long as you don't lose it by tryin to climb steep or make tight turns.

e2michaelb
10-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I kinda came to that conclusion myself, but I was looking for a short-cut. Patience wins every time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mortoma
10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I just got '46 working after having it for a long time on disk. I had to buy it twice, this time as a download.

Well, to make my intended point, I have been flying the new planes a lot of course. And I have a campaign going in the LaGG-3RD jet on the Berlin map. Dgen does not recognized the newest '46 planes so I had to start a career in another plane and then I have to edit the missions in FMB to change planes to the LaGG jet before I play.

Anyway, this seems to be the worse jet of all the batch. But yet I have been doing well in it.
But would not want to fly it online against real people!! I have been climbing at 400 to 450Kph and it climbs well at this speed. I keep my speed up high and never get slow in combat. I have shot down 8 planes in it so far. Shows you that you can do well in even the junkiest jet if you fly it right. Just don't fly them online!!
Unless you practice for a long time anyway.

VW-IceFire
10-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah the LaGG-3RD has to be the worst jet in the game. Actually its so bad that I think most prop fighters would significantly out perform it. But you're right...you can do well in just about anything if you work at it. The LaGG-3RD does have the 23mm cannons to its benefit...between it and the Yak-15 the Yak-15 is a far better jet...although its not all that fantastic either.

mortoma
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Laugh at the LaGG jet if you want, it's overall better than the Me-262!! You say it accelerates slowly?? So does the 262! You say it takes the whole runway to get up?? So does the 262!! The 262 has tons of top speed on the LaGG, but the LaGG handles far, far better. I kind of like the LaGG jet, call it a challenge. It's like a nice medium fast prop fighter with nice guns on it. It dogifghts better than the other jets except for the TA-183 and P-80. The TA-183 is a monsta!