PDA

View Full Version : Anybody useing AMD Athlon FX-57 San Diego

slipBall
06-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Well I was cutting the lawn and I came back in to find my cpu fried, fan failure. I'm thinking AMD Athlon FX-57 San Diego 2.8ghz Socket 939 or a dual core 939. I am thinking the dual would be a better choice for the future. I wish that I knew if SOW will be multithreaded, has anyone heard anything on this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

slipBall
06-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Well I was cutting the lawn and I came back in to find my cpu fried, fan failure. I'm thinking AMD Athlon FX-57 San Diego 2.8ghz Socket 939 or a dual core 939. I am thinking the dual would be a better choice for the future. I wish that I knew if SOW will be multithreaded, has anyone heard anything on this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

woofiedog
06-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes... running a FX-57 in my Rig. Have say it's a Excellent chip... does everything I need my Rig for with no problems.

FX-57
A8N-SLI Deluxe
7800 GTX KO SLI
2x 1Gig RAM
X-Fi XtremeMusic

huggy87
06-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I've had one for a year and a half. It's worked like a champ.

woofiedog
06-04-2007, 02:35 AM
You might want to post this question on the Community Help page. -HH-Quazi was running a FX-55 a while back and I believe he has a Dual Core now. Also FX-57 prices haven't drop too much either judging by a quick check online.

slipBall
06-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks all, I am a little surprised at the very few sellers for this item. I will keep looking for a good deal on it. I really would like to hear if SOW is multithreaded for dual core play. I wish Oleg would release the spec's soon

blairgowrie
06-04-2007, 04:59 AM
I am running a AMD 6000 dual core on my primary machine and a FX57 on my back up. Both great chips but I prefer the dual core. I fly a lot of coops and the dual core lets me tab out of game to check emails etc if I get killed early.

WhtBoy
06-04-2007, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
Thanks all, I am a little surprised at the very few sellers for this item. I will keep looking for a good deal on it. I really would like to hear if SOW is multithreaded for dual core play. I wish Oleg would release the spec's soon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Multithreading has NOTHING to do with multiple CPUs. ANY application can be multithreaded and IL-2 runs about 14 threads during execution.

You're thinking of symmetric multi-processing, or SMP, and it remains to be seen if SoW will take advantage of SMP.

--Outlaw.

slipBall
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the proper term....I'm wondering if the motherboard survived, is it common to fail along with the cpu, when the fan gives out?...its a GA-K8NXP-SLI

staticline1
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhtBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
Thanks all, I am a little surprised at the very few sellers for this item. I will keep looking for a good deal on it. I really would like to hear if SOW is multithreaded for dual core play. I wish Oleg would release the spec's soon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Multithreading has NOTHING to do with multiple CPUs. ANY application can be multithreaded and IL-2 runs about 14 threads during execution.

You're thinking of symmetric multi-processing, or SMP, and it remains to be seen if SoW will take advantage of SMP.

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though we don't have any specs yet I'd be willing to put money on it that SOW will be dual core native. Best to upgrade when the budget allows as the single core games in the future will be going the way of the dodo.

SlipBall if the motherboard still works and can use dual core go with the FX-60, its the best dual core for 939, can be clocked to stock FX-62 speeds and should work on most games within reason in the short future. If all is fried go with intel, the parts are cheaper and faster, good luck which ever way you go.

slipBall
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by staticline1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhtBoy:

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though we don't have any specs yet I'd be willing to put money on it that SOW will be dual core native. Best to upgrade when the budget allows as the single core games in the future will be going the way of the dodo.

SlipBall if the motherboard still works and can use dual core go with the FX-60, its the best dual core for 939, can be clocked to stock FX-62 speeds and should work on most games within reason in the short future. If all is fried go with intel, the parts are cheaper and faster, good luck which ever way you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks I will most likely go the dual FX-60. I think that you are right on as far as SOW, but it would be nice to see specs on that matter. If the mb is gone I will likely replace with same Gigabyte

SlickStick
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Just curious, seeing how robust CPUs are generally, are you sure it's the CPU and not a PSU failure on the 12V rail?

I didn't look but doesn't that motherboard have a CPU overtemp shutdown? I'm just wondering if you tried the fan or CPU in another system or another CPU/fan in the failed system.

Tailbutcher
06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I have AMD FX-60 , ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MB , 2GB Corsair Ram 2x 7800GTX BFG'-SLI . Runs great.

slipBall
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:
Just curious, seeing how robust CPUs are generally, are you sure it's the CPU and not a PSU failure on the 12V rail?

I didn't look but doesn't that motherboard have a CPU overtemp shutdown? I'm just wondering if you tried the fan or CPU in another system or another CPU/fan in the failed system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, when it cooled would it start as normal, or do I need to clear the bios or something?...I tested the fan on the 5 volt of the system, but no spin she was getting 5+ on a meter, I had to jump the green/black on mb power source plug to get the psu to kick on. I will test the 12v after work....I read through the manual and found no reference to auto shutdown http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SlickStick
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Just FYI, the fan and CPU use +12V, along with hard disks, CD/DVD drives and many of today's video cards also draw from the +12V from the extra molex connector hook-up that they use.

In most cases, once the overtemp situation is clear it will reboot, if the +12V is present, but if the fan is not operating, then it will overheat quite quickly.

One thing I also found when checking a PSU by jumpering it on is that it can give a false indication. I had a PSU with +12V that looked OK until it had a load connected to it and it dropped to less than +5V. Just some things to think about.

-HH-Quazi
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Something else to think about before spending $$$ on outdated technology. You mentioned going with an FX-60. Great chip and the one I really wanted to go with in replacing my FX-55. But spending between $400 & $500 on an FX-60 just doesn't make any sense at all when you can pick up an Opteron 185. The only difference between the two is the FX-60's multiplier is unlocked on the top. Having the multiplier unlocked is real handy for some over clocking, no doubt. But I landed an Opteron 185 for $245 that my daughter so kindly blessed me with from eBay. And keeping it's multiplier at its' stock of 13x, all it took was raising the HTT to 232MHz to be able to run at 3.0+GHz. And I think most memory these days are at least capable of that.

Plus, I wasn't comfortable allowing her to drop $400 on an OEM FX-60 and the retail boxed versions were allot closer to $500.

Something else to think about, and this is considering you already have a PCI-E graphics card. If you are thinking no big deal, $400 to $500 for an FX-60, think about picking up am AM2 mobo, an AMD X2 6000 Dual Core running at 3.0GHz out of the box, & 1GB of DDR2 memory. The AMD 6000 runs around $228 at www.zipzoomfly.com (http://www.zipzoomfly.com) & $226 at www.mwave.com (http://www.mwave.com). You can get a decent AM2 mobo for around $70. 1GB of PC2-6400 for around $70. This only adds up to $368 which is cheaper than the FX-60 alone plus you have your mobo & memory you can sell on eBay to get by even cheaper. At least this way you will have a dual core cpu running at 3.0GHz stock speeds and will have memory to raise the HTT to get a bit more speed out of you cpu if you wanted to.

Just thinking out loud m8.

B16Enk
06-05-2007, 04:21 AM
I'm with Quazi on this, having recently stumped up for an FX60.

I'm wondering what possessed me when I did the calcs and realised I could have gone AM2 for less, and would have a spare SD 3700+ board and RAM needing only a PCI-E GPU.

I too have a GA-K8NXP-9 SLI board spare, piece of junk and was soon swapped out for the DFI Lanparty that now accommodates my FX60.

Tailbutcher
06-05-2007, 07:11 AM
When SOW comes out, I'll be upgrading to twin 8800 GTX ultra -SLI. Plus a PC power and cooling TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR, swaping out the 2GB ram for 4 GB ram. I think it should be enough.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tailbutcher:
When SOW comes out, I'll be upgrading to twin 8800 GTX ultra -SLI. Plus a PC power and cooling TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR, swaping out the 2GB ram for 4 GB ram. I think it should be enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why dual 8800GTX'...and Ultras at that?

First of all, unless you're running crazy-high resolutions on something like a 30" (or larger) monitor the 8800's in SLI is a waste of resources. Secondly, NV will almost assuredly have introduced the G90 GPU by the end of the year and they are supposed to be the equivalent (performance-wise) of what the 8800's were to the 7900's.

Having the resources and wanting to upgrade is admirable and fun, but don't waste them mate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TB

Tailbutcher
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tailbutcher:
When SOW comes out, I'll be upgrading to twin 8800 GTX ultra -SLI. Plus a PC power and cooling TURBO-COOL 1KW-SR, swaping out the 2GB ram for 4 GB ram. I think it should be enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why dual 8800GTX'...and Ultras at that?

First of all, unless you're running crazy-high resolutions on something like a 30" (or larger) monitor the 8800's in SLI is a waste of resources. Secondly, NV will almost assuredly have introduced the G90 GPU by the end of the year and they are supposed to be the equivalent (performance-wise) of what the 8800's were to the 7900's.

Having the resources and wanting to upgrade is admirable and fun, but don't waste them mate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks,
Good point. I'll hold off and wait and see what develops.

SlickStick
06-05-2007, 12:48 PM
If he indeed does find that his CPU is bad, but his mobo is good, I like the Opteron as an interim solution.

However, if he is going to go the $400.00 - 500.00 route, instead of just buying a high-end AMD to pop in or a new AMD system, why not go Core 2 Duo, motherboard and 1GB of DDR2 at that point?

As far as bang for the buck, overclocking and performance against anything AMD has to offer, wouldn't it make more sense to go Intel on a new build at this point and time? Of course, providing he is willing to spend that kind of money just for an FX chip (didn't check current San Diego FX-57 prices, but isn't that an expensive chip?!?).

You can overclock the bejeesus out of those E4300 Allendale cores or just go with an E6300 or E6320 (4MB L2 Shared) and overclock. Just discussing, not challenging.

Irish_Rogues
06-05-2007, 01:02 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Was thinking the same thing.

slipBall
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I considered everything that you gents advised and desided to just get up and flying for now. I will hold off on any major upgrade till after SOW released and discussed. Could go much better dual core then, you experts will lead the way when that time comes. I ordered this for now, they say Fri/or Mon delivery....this system will need a total upgrade for BOB, but no sence going crazy till spec's are released. Back in the air is the most important thing right now, thanks for all the advice and help
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103002

-HH-Quazi
06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I think this is a better way to go for you than paying for an FX-60 m8. I have the same chip @ 1.45v's with the HTT raised to 232MHz. It oc's the cpu to 3.015GHz without any issues. Although you may find it's stock 2.6GHz fast enough. I get a good bump in minimum fr's & avg fr's in the BD track by running it at 3.0+ GHz. And heat is not an issue. Good decision m8!

SlickStick
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I considered everything that you gents advised and desided to just get up and flying for now. I will hold off on any major upgrade till after SOW released and discussed. Could go much better dual core then, you experts will lead the way when that time comes. I ordered this for now, they say Fri/or Mon delivery....this system will need a total upgrade for BOB, but no sence going crazy till spec's are released. Back in the air is the most important thing right now, thanks for all the advice and help
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103002 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, from that I'm guessing that you confirmed that your CPU is indeed dead? I'd hate to see you get something that you didn't need, if you pop that Opteron in and your system still doesn't work. Best of luck and I hope you're back up and flying soon!