PDA

View Full Version : P-51 K-14 Gunsight

Shakthamac
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
After reading a few peoples posts regarding making adjustments to this gunsight in the game, I tried it myself. I can now switch between respective enemy a/c wingspans and distance, which is a feature that seems pretty cool. But, I must be missing something, because I can't see a change in the overall circumference of the pipper, which I thought it did. Or does it do something else entirely?

HotelBushranger
04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
? How did you adjust the gunsight?

VW-IceFire
04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shakthamac:
After reading a few peoples posts regarding making adjustments to this gunsight in the game, I tried it myself. I can now switch between respective enemy a/c wingspans and distance, which is a feature that seems pretty cool. But, I must be missing something, because I can't see a change in the overall circumference of the pipper, which I thought it did. Or does it do something else entirely? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have to make key binds for it. Its under the gunsight/bombsight section of the controls.

You can't call yourself a Mustang D pilot till you understand howto use the K-14 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tachyon1000
04-09-2005, 11:38 PM
I am curious to know as well how this sight works. I had always thought there must be a way to set it. I have found that I can adjust the sight for the aircraft wingspan and distance, but I still can't say that I know how to use it. For instance, how do I know what the distance is set to and how to adjust it correctly?

Siwarrior
04-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Set a key for change sight and change site distance

Shakthamac
04-10-2005, 01:10 AM
so, does anyone know?

Shakthamac
04-10-2005, 01:18 AM
ahhh. i wasn't putting the sight in auto mode.

MAN! the 51 has always been my bird of choice, and now its even better http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Its like a whole new plane now.

Aaron_GT
04-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I wonder if we'll be getting the sight on the Spitfire XIV too?

Chuck_Older
04-10-2005, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tachyon1000:
I am curious to know as well how this sight works. I had always thought there must be a way to set it. I have found that I can adjust the sight for the aircraft wingspan and distance, but I still can't say that I know how to use it. For instance, how do I know what the distance is set to and how to adjust it correctly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sight defaults to roughly 150m

Changine the sight range doesn't change your gun convergence- the convergence is set and stays set

You figure out range the same way you figured out range for any other sight- by practice. In a P-51D with the Gyro feature turned 'off' you know range, correct? same thing. You know that when the aircraft target fills the gunsight to X degree, you are at your convergence.

Same thing for the Gyro sight

If your convergance is set to greater than 150m, you must decrease pipper size. How much will depend on your judgement

Once you have your pipper sized correctly, it's a simple matter of selecting approximate wingspan from the list on the gunsight.

To do this, I recommend you always figure out the correct pipper size for a Bf109, because that's what the sight defaults to. Then, as soon as you're in the cockpit, you re-size the pipper firat thing. Now you just select wingspan.

for aircraft not on the list, you select similar wingspan.

Your target is a B-29? Select the Me 323. A P-47? select FW190

the K-14's gyro feature is only good for low angle deflection shots. It takes roughly a second to settle down because like any gyro, it can tumble

The K-14 will not manuever your aircraft into firing position- all it does is predict lead for the target in certain situations. It is not a perfect tool, and should not be used in every situation. that's why you also have the 'fixed' and 'gyro+fixed" feature.

In real life, the optimum procedure for the gunsight is different thatn you'll find to be the case in the sim, but the results are the same

I had an in-depth explanation of this gunsight once upon a time, and it is posted someplace on the internet at someone's Il-2 site.

Should still be in the GD forum archives but good luck using the Search feature

EnGaurde
04-10-2005, 07:31 AM
i actually think all you allied flyers are being ripped by thinking the success of the .50 over the axis, would translate to here automagically.

dear GOD in NO WAY am i porking the 50 cal... what i AM saying is very few can judge convergence, when they have shot me down. When they get it right? I explode. Boom. No escape.

seeing i fly Z v W almost exclusively, i feel... qualified?

so many times ive flown head on, between flaming 50 cals on p40s and f4fs, smoked them up, and felt NO hits.

i think, generally, the average PF flyer sets his cnvergence to something stupid like 20km or such.

in tracks ive played back to see why ive been caught and flamed, often ive counted up to 4 seconds of fifty cal fire before ive shed particles.

indeed ive often survived.

my advantage in my Zero is that i can see where my bright yellow tracers are going, and adjust.

fackken around with the sight, before mastering convergence, may just frustrate your efforts?

How bout investing time on judging convergence before getting All That on the sight...

lesson is, if you dont get kills too often, set your 50 cal convergence to 150m, dont shoot till youre almost on them, and see what happens.... then get sexy with the sight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

itll be obvious what yoove done when youve shot holes all over the sky, but post here why you cant hit anything....

VW-IceFire
04-10-2005, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
I wonder if we'll be getting the sight on the Spitfire XIV too? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we get the Spitfire XIV, it will have the GGS Mark II (the K-14 was based on the GGS).

Sterf21
04-10-2005, 08:13 AM
The pipper is nice, but not very functional in the heat and stress of a dogfight, just dont have the time to steer, control radiator + fuelmixture and set the pipper all at once.

geetarman
04-10-2005, 08:56 AM
EnGuarde makes a good point. Get comfortable with a certain convergence setting and learn to wait to fire until you're at it. Mix in good use of the K-14, and you can get really good shots off up to about 30-35% deflection with no problem. The enemy will either be shot down or badly shot up!

geetarman
04-10-2005, 08:57 AM
BTW, I set my gun convergence to about 150-160 yards. That way you just turn on the gyro sight and you don't have to fiddle with distance settings.

Tachyon1000
04-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all, and to Chuck for the detailed explanation. I will give the sight's capacity a shot.

Aaron_GT
04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
"If we get the Spitfire XIV, it will have the GGS Mark II"

That's what I am hoping for, but is it a certainty? (Cue complaints when 4.0 is out that the XIV is a 'noob' plane!)

VW-IceFire
04-10-2005, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
"If we get the Spitfire XIV, it will have the GGS Mark II"

That's what I am hoping for, but is it a certainty? (Cue complaints when 4.0 is out that the XIV is a 'noob' plane!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a certainty....not many planes are a certainty with 4.0. We're all just assuming away really.

It is done and it is accepted by Oleg. I highly suspect that Oleg may have imposed the dealine at a point where it wouldn't make it into 4.0 (being a huge upgrade) but that another patch would arrive a bit later with just a few more planes.

p1ngu666
04-10-2005, 06:36 PM
personaly i use it like this
floater and fixed on
i adust the plane type if i have time, but i dont adust the distance, i still find it works very well.

its a great piece of kit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

irl it was called acemaker, for a reason http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Schmouddle-WT
04-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Well gyro gunsight in Spit XIV only?

Naaah.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://home.karneval.cz/00006132/MkIXpit.jpg

this is a GGS mkIID in ex-RAF Czechoslovakian Spitfire MkIX, the only remaining in Czech Republic (all the rest had been sold to Israel in 1948).

This Spitfire fought in WWII and has been damaged in an accident after the war. It has been restored and it is now in Czech National Airspace Museum in Prague.

[whine]
Oleg, please give us the GGS MkIID gyro gunsight in late SpitIX!This is the proof![whine off] j/k

Actually I dont know how this gunsight appeared on this Spit, the mounting does not look faked, it has all the controls properly mounted...so...nobody knows. I did not found any records of Czechoslovakian Spits equipped with this gunsight besides with the fact, some of the machines exported to Israel were equipped with GGS.

WOLFMondo
04-11-2005, 04:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I wonder if we'll be getting the sight on the Spitfire XIV too? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we get the Spitfire XIV, it will have the GGS Mark II (the K-14 was based on the GGS). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be interested to know some Tempest V's also had this gunsight. Never realised until I watched an interview with a US pilot who flew Tempest V's in the RAF commented on it.

p1ngu666
04-11-2005, 08:18 AM
yes, some IX's got gryo gunsight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cyrano
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I am willing to bet that just about every person flying a P51 would trade in that gyro gunsight for visible tracers. I sure wouldhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
04-11-2005, 11:15 PM
i want ripple fire on multi gun planes...

WOLFMondo
04-12-2005, 02:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyrano:
I am willing to bet that just about every person flying a P51 would trade in that gyro gunsight for visible tracers. I sure wouldhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Que? Tracers are visible.

Ripple fire would be very nice though, especially on the P47.