PDA

View Full Version : Lexington flight deck

Willey
10-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Seems to be overmodelled in "cable" quantity.

http://broadcast.illuminatedtech.com/pages/archives_ie_era/lex12.jpg

Philipscdrw
10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Shhh, it's hard enough already!

Blottogg
10-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Willey, nice picture. That is a pre-war shot of the Lex (with the 8" gun turrets), isn't it? They may have changed the cable arrangement during refit. I don't know how many cables are behind the photographer, either. I do like the "pursuader" (hammer) lying next to one of the cable brake drums though. You think those got stuck occasionally?

Fennec_P
10-22-2004, 05:51 AM
It should be correct. You can't see them all in the pic.

I don't have it for the Lex, but heres a drawing of the Saratoga (1936). There is a lot of wires.

http://members.shaw.ca/fennec/sara.jpg

3.JG51_BigBear
10-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I don't know what it looks like in PF, hasn't been released her yet, but that pic was taken very close to the super structure of the ship. I'm not sure but I think a ship like the Lexington should have had twelve or thirteen cables.

Tater-SW-
10-22-2004, 10:08 AM
There are also arresting cables at the bow. It was possible (and happened in the PTO at least once) that they could steam in reverse to land planes while the after deck was spotting with planes.

tater

NS38th_Aristaus
10-22-2004, 11:44 AM
~S~ All
I havnt seen PF yet so I don't know which carriers oleg put in the game. But if we are talking about the lexington there were two of them to serve in WWII.
The fourth ship to bear the name Lexington was CV-2 laid on 01 jul 1921 orig designated a battle cruser (cc1). She was comm on 14 dec 1927 she had 8 8-inch and 12 5-inch guns. CV-2 was scuttled at the BATTLE OF Coral Sea on 08-may-1942.
The fifth ship to bear the name Lexington was CV-16 which was laid on 15-jul-1941 orig to be named USS Cabot. She was launched on 17-feb-1943 and had 12 5-inch guns. She was decomm on 26 nov-1991 The CV-2 was orig a battle cruiser and the CV-16 was an ESSEX class carrier two totelly diff ships. It is interesting to know which one oleg put into the game or both.

Tater-SW-
10-22-2004, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NS38th_Aristaus:
CV-2 was scuttled at the BATTLE OF MIDWAY on 08-may-1942. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was The Battle of the Coral Sea, not Midway. Midway was Enterprise, Hornet, and Yorktown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The CV-2 was orig a battle cruiser and the CV-16 was an ESSEX class carrier two totelly diff ships. It is interesting to know which one oleg put into the game or both. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are Essex Class CVs in PF. I don;t know what skin is on it except for a screenshot of the Intrepid.

tater

NS38th_Aristaus
10-22-2004, 01:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NS38th_Aristaus:
CV-2 was scuttled at the BATTLE OF MIDWAY on 08-may-1942. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was The Battle of the Coral Sea, not Midway. Midway was Enterprise, Hornet, and Yorktown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The CV-2 was orig a battle cruiser and the CV-16 was an ESSEX class carrier two totelly diff ships. It is interesting to know which one oleg put into the game or both. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are Essex Class CVs in PF. I don;t know what skin is on it except for a screenshot of the Intrepid.

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thats what i said Coral Sea lol......Aristaeus

Willey
10-22-2004, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
It should be correct. You can't see them all in the pic.

I don't have it for the Lex, but heres a drawing of the Saratoga (1936). There is a lot of wires.

http://members.shaw.ca/fennec/sara.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I meant. Of course, there are more. But in PF there are wires all over the whole deck, from bow to stern with just a short gap in the middle.

SkyChimp
10-22-2004, 07:43 PM
http://broadcast.illuminatedtech.com/pages/archives_ie_era/lex12.jpg

Holy cow!!! That's an OLD picture. That's how they used to arrest biplanes in the late '20s and early '30s!

Tater-SW-
10-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Willey, there were wires at the bow as well. This allowed the CV to sail backwards and land planes on the front deck if needed. There could be a number of reasons to actually do this. You could have a bunch of planes on the rear of the flight deck prepared to take off--moving them would be time consuming. You could take damage to the rear flight deck with planes aloft, steaming astern and landing your planes forward saves the aircraft.

In reality it rarely occured, but it was a useful backup.

tater

WWMaxGunz
10-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe that's why the US doesn't use the "ski jump" at the front end that the Brits do?
Or is that thing not the whole width of the bow end?

Neal

Fehler
10-24-2004, 04:45 AM
The fifth ship to bear the name Lexington was CV-16 which was laid on 15-jul-1941 orig to be named USS Cabot.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are ever in the Corpus Christi area in Texas, she is there on display. Small by today's standards, she is still an impressive ship, none the less.

Many of the areas of the ship are on display. Some areas are closed to the public for safety reasons. The years of salt water have treated the old lady badly, and the restorers that keep her alive fight a never ending battle with rust.

Still though, it is a wonderful ship to explore, a must see if you are ever in south Texas.

IV_JG51_Razor
10-24-2004, 11:03 AM
There are two Essex class ships represented in PF. The Essex (CV-9), and the Intrepid (CV-11).

owlwatcher
10-24-2004, 11:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
There are also arresting cables at the bow. It was possible (and happened in the PTO at least once) that they could steam in reverse to land planes while the after deck was spotting with planes.

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was reading last night on line and if I remember right it early 43 and the bow cables were removed. Was a PDF and could not cut and paste.Link was some thing like great moments in navel avation