PDA

View Full Version : to Ubisoft: ideas for the sequel/patch, etc...

tonymd
11-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, like most of you I have been very excited about this game...My time is more limited than most, but even a busy doc can get some xbox action once in a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif . At any rate, the idea of the game is fantastic and there is no doubt that it has broke new grounds in the visual/stylistic aspect of gaming. That said, there are a few things, that I would have liked to see. The current game is great, but it does stand to gain from improvements in a few aspect. Such thing can either be included in a say "expansion pack" or even be part of the sequel, which I think is inevitable given how much interest this game has produced:

1. More variety in investigations/assassination: Good deeds are nice, but bribing and even coercion (splinter cell style) to get information would have been an option. Would have liked altair fool someone into a dark alley, hold his dagger to their throat in a choke hold and ask for info...sure beats fist-fighting. How about infiltrating a castle at night, make your way to past the gate, setting some hay on fire and then sneaking into the characters quarters to finish the kill...How about disguising as a soldier or a guard...sure beats walking with the scholars...Also side missions should unlock more abilities: more devastating combos (pull off a string of attacks against multiple enemies in a given radius), recruit a mercenary (archer?) to help you out if you are stuck/overwhelmed...that will go well with making the AI more challenging and smarter...or have a citizen provide you with a horse to escape (possibly bribing the guards to keep the gates open as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

2. Combat: while I really like the combat style for its attempts at reality, I think it can be made more interesting, if we introduce the concept of a circle of influence...meaning that each guard/solider has a certain radius around him (say class or experience based) that when violated by the main character, his instinct is to attack the target while in a fight...this will make you choose which enemy to approach first and try to adjust your position for the most favorable outcome...this will resolve the issue of brushing against guards, who wouldn't even touch you. The current morale system should stand. I would like to see that when Altair is grabbed and pushed the ground, some guard would run and try to stab him, the game goes into a context sensitive mode (like in prince of persia or God of war) and then you can either push him, thrown him off of you, or drive your sword into his chest as you are standing up.

Horse back combat could also stands to gain some modifications, with allowing the guards to chase you on horseback! I mean all these knights and not a single horse rider! Combat mechanics on horse back would really rely on timing as well as how much you power your hit...galloping at a higher speed while powering your hit, should bring in greater force/momentum and can either break or even kill your opponent charging you on horse back, if the product of their hit (speed X powered swing) is less than yours....that will make into interesting scenarios ( mini-games) and would certainly break the monotony.... While introducing ranged attacks, like crossbows is valid (hey it's in the main trailer), I think their range should be limited to clearing rooftops and maybe instigating trouble, like lighting your arrow and shooting it into a haystack...as the solider are busy putting out the fire, you are free to perform your deed and finish the assassination...

more ramblings to come...feel free to add your two cents as well...

tonymd
11-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, like most of you I have been very excited about this game...My time is more limited than most, but even a busy doc can get some xbox action once in a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif . At any rate, the idea of the game is fantastic and there is no doubt that it has broke new grounds in the visual/stylistic aspect of gaming. That said, there are a few things, that I would have liked to see. The current game is great, but it does stand to gain from improvements in a few aspect. Such thing can either be included in a say "expansion pack" or even be part of the sequel, which I think is inevitable given how much interest this game has produced:

1. More variety in investigations/assassination: Good deeds are nice, but bribing and even coercion (splinter cell style) to get information would have been an option. Would have liked altair fool someone into a dark alley, hold his dagger to their throat in a choke hold and ask for info...sure beats fist-fighting. How about infiltrating a castle at night, make your way to past the gate, setting some hay on fire and then sneaking into the characters quarters to finish the kill...How about disguising as a soldier or a guard...sure beats walking with the scholars...Also side missions should unlock more abilities: more devastating combos (pull off a string of attacks against multiple enemies in a given radius), recruit a mercenary (archer?) to help you out if you are stuck/overwhelmed...that will go well with making the AI more challenging and smarter...or have a citizen provide you with a horse to escape (possibly bribing the guards to keep the gates open as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

2. Combat: while I really like the combat style for its attempts at reality, I think it can be made more interesting, if we introduce the concept of a circle of influence...meaning that each guard/solider has a certain radius around him (say class or experience based) that when violated by the main character, his instinct is to attack the target while in a fight...this will make you choose which enemy to approach first and try to adjust your position for the most favorable outcome...this will resolve the issue of brushing against guards, who wouldn't even touch you. The current morale system should stand. I would like to see that when Altair is grabbed and pushed the ground, some guard would run and try to stab him, the game goes into a context sensitive mode (like in prince of persia or God of war) and then you can either push him, thrown him off of you, or drive your sword into his chest as you are standing up.

Horse back combat could also stands to gain some modifications, with allowing the guards to chase you on horseback! I mean all these knights and not a single horse rider! Combat mechanics on horse back would really rely on timing as well as how much you power your hit...galloping at a higher speed while powering your hit, should bring in greater force/momentum and can either break or even kill your opponent charging you on horse back, if the product of their hit (speed X powered swing) is less than yours....that will make into interesting scenarios ( mini-games) and would certainly break the monotony.... While introducing ranged attacks, like crossbows is valid (hey it's in the main trailer), I think their range should be limited to clearing rooftops and maybe instigating trouble, like lighting your arrow and shooting it into a haystack...as the solider are busy putting out the fire, you are free to perform your deed and finish the assassination...

more ramblings to come...feel free to add your two cents as well...

tonymd
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh and by the way...Please keep us in similar settings...futuristic conflicts are welcomed as long as you consider Baroque/Elizabethan eras...Now an assassin in 16th/17th century Europe...that's gold http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...(gives more reasons to fine tune the swashbuckling to sweet perfection)