PDA

View Full Version : runway takeoffs

junga1298
01-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey, all. I got PF a few days ago. I "thought" that I had seen a mission where an F4U takes off from a runway, but I can't seem to find it again. Am I wrong? I remember having all sorts of trouble maintaining level attitude while taking off. I kept running the wing into the ground. I could have been hallucinating, but has anyone else seen a runway takeoff mission with an F4U?

Thanks,
/Jules

junga1298
01-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey, all. I got PF a few days ago. I "thought" that I had seen a mission where an F4U takes off from a runway, but I can't seem to find it again. Am I wrong? I remember having all sorts of trouble maintaining level attitude while taking off. I kept running the wing into the ground. I could have been hallucinating, but has anyone else seen a runway takeoff mission with an F4U?

Thanks,
/Jules

slo123
01-07-2006, 09:39 PM
i think theres a f4u mission in us marine core i think

stansdds
01-08-2006, 08:45 AM
It's not in the set of missions that comes with Pacific Fighters. Only takeoff missions there are USN (U.S. Navy) from static and moving carriers.

neil_1821
01-08-2006, 10:44 AM
you didn't do it in a quick start mission did you?

zoinksu52
01-08-2006, 10:47 AM
learn how to use the full mission builder. i've made very simple training missions for myself using different ac on carriers and land. very basic ones to help me learn for example:

sbd mission: iwo jima map
i have my carrier placed just outside of gun range to the island. take off with 3 250 lb. bombs, fly to altitude, dive bomb some ground targets i placed, then straf until i run out of ammo. fly back, find and land on carrier. all with no aaa so i actually can practice. i have learned the fm of 3 planes very well and feel qualifyed to enter combat at least knowing i can fly.

i setup for waypoints for my carrier to make a long north to south course (like a long nascar oval)and then repeat adding waypoints over the same ones so it loops and i know where to look. set first waypoint to 56 km and you have plenty of speed for take off. good challange to land during a the tight 180 degree turn.

just starting to use island runways to practice my landings on pavement.

slo123
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
i tried to take off of a carrier in 180degree turn during thunderstorm guess what i went to right side of deck cause rolling of bout and the turn and never came back yup did a little cartwheel off da ship and well lad based i do as bad especially landings i rip alot of whell and wingtips off yea im that bad. i guess the reason i say this is i want to know am i the only one? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tully__
01-10-2006, 03:32 AM
In campaigns, select USMC (Marines) Guadalcanal 1942. Takeoff is from Henderson Field. Version tested: 4.02m (merged)

Vengeanze
01-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Tully knows everything!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

zoinksu52
01-10-2006, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slo123:
i tried to take off of a carrier in 180degree turn during thunderstorm guess what i went to right side of deck cause rolling of bout and the turn and never came back yup did a little cartwheel off da ship and well lad based i do as bad especially landings i rip alot of whell and wingtips off yea im that bad. i guess the reason i say this is i want to know am i the only one? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the first 2 weeks all i did was practice carrier takeoff/landings. i used sbd-3. after successful i then learned with a6m2. i have become very good with at carrier ops. my runway pogo stick landings are a joke...it comes down to practice. then before you know it, you are good.

irl, i was in the air force working f-15 avionics. when our base hosted training exercises other squadrons would visit for a week or 2. every time the f-18's would land at the strip outside our shop, someone would come arunnin' and get us all out there for the show. those carrier-based pilots had a very hard time. it ws like watching fireworks on the 4th with all the crowd noises as each one touched down. most were bent over from laughing so hard. a far cry from our f-15 pilots with their graceful touchdown and super long roll (rear wheels down and nose pointed up) until speed bled off and the nose gently eased on the runway. i knew then the day would come when i would miss seeing this - about a week after i left the service.

pogo stick - A strong stick with footrests and a heavy spring set into the bottom end, used to propel oneself along the ground by hopping.

junga1298
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Folx, you've all been fantastic. Thank you. I've learned a heck of a lot from this forum.

zoinksu52: that's a great story. I always had great admiration for carrier pilots, but I never thought of how it must be for them to land on ground that isn't rolling or pitching or with no cable to catch them.

Again, thanks to all.

/j