PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with finding out about BoB from other websites. Come on Ubisoft, tell us here!

Mysticpuma2003
04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't want to speak out of turn here, but after a reading a thread further down GD, I felt the need to spout off a bit about the lack of news, but more importantly, the fact that pictures of development are cropping up elsewhere, before we get a chance to see them.

Why is this an issue for me?

Well, many of us (and some have been here much longer), have been on these forums for years, we help out, pass advice on, take part in the 'community', offer support for others with problems, etc, etc. That is because we enjoy the game, the people involved with it and the spirit of this group.

So my question is, as the consumer of the game, you know, the ones who paid for it and to play it, the ones who suggest improvements and bug fixes, basically the ones who supply funds for development of BoB, why is it that we seem to be forgotten and ignored when it comes to update news?

I'm not saying that we don't hear anything, but why is it that guys have to post threads here telling us where to see new images of the game?

Surely other websites should have to link here for information, not the other way around?

So, could I ask Ubi or anyone who cares about these forums, please to consider the guys who have been around for years, along with the development, and show a little thought for the guys who invest in your product when it comes to updates.

So how about, a new page on this website called "BoB:SoW updates and news"

So that the top of the opening page has headlines on it newer than 2005 (check it out!)

It's not a flame, it's just disappointing not to be considered before other websites, when we actually contribute to the main one.

Cheers, MP.

Mysticpuma2003
04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't want to speak out of turn here, but after a reading a thread further down GD, I felt the need to spout off a bit about the lack of news, but more importantly, the fact that pictures of development are cropping up elsewhere, before we get a chance to see them.

Why is this an issue for me?

Well, many of us (and some have been here much longer), have been on these forums for years, we help out, pass advice on, take part in the 'community', offer support for others with problems, etc, etc. That is because we enjoy the game, the people involved with it and the spirit of this group.

So my question is, as the consumer of the game, you know, the ones who paid for it and to play it, the ones who suggest improvements and bug fixes, basically the ones who supply funds for development of BoB, why is it that we seem to be forgotten and ignored when it comes to update news?

I'm not saying that we don't hear anything, but why is it that guys have to post threads here telling us where to see new images of the game?

Surely other websites should have to link here for information, not the other way around?

So, could I ask Ubi or anyone who cares about these forums, please to consider the guys who have been around for years, along with the development, and show a little thought for the guys who invest in your product when it comes to updates.

So how about, a new page on this website called "BoB:SoW updates and news"

So that the top of the opening page has headlines on it newer than 2005 (check it out!)

It's not a flame, it's just disappointing not to be considered before other websites, when we actually contribute to the main one.

Cheers, MP.

crazyivan1970
04-23-2007, 10:19 AM
When time comes, you`ll hear all about it.

bazzaah2
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
good point and it's disappointing that what you say is the case....

updates would be nice.

MEGILE
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:

So my question is, as the consumer of the game, you know, the ones who paid for it and to play it, . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL you preorderd BoB?

Sux2beu

major_setback
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I can understand if Maddox inc. is obliged to provide unseen material to UBI - or whoever - for promotional purposes, but it would be nice if they could link to it (to the material, or to the sites featuring it) so we could see how the game is coming on.

-Just a link.
-That's all I'm asking.
-It might be a nice gesture.
-It can't be that hard to do.

WOLFMondo
04-23-2007, 11:24 AM
MP, you probably want to aim this all at Ubisofts marketting staff. 99% sure they choose when and where to release images, not the developer, especially when it comes to magazines.

Mysticpuma2003
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Edited the title accordingly.

I did say Oleg, and should have realised it was Ubi's fault.

It just cheeses me off that game websites get previews ahead of the actual developer!

and yes, with my new rig, X-52 and Tir4....I have BoB pre-ordered http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

F19_Ob
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Isn't it bad tactics avoiding to give teasers of BoB on the community sites?
Or are they just so sure they have us as customers already?

Just thinking back how they forgot to exploit and show how developed the damage on the planes were. Far ahead of competing sims at the time.
Many still have not discovered the extent and nature of the damage of all planes.

Most gamers are suckers for cool features so sim-developers really should use what they got in promotions of the game.

Be streetsmart dev-m8's.

alert_1
04-24-2007, 01:37 AM
IMO, UBIs know pretty well that we are loyal customers, wel aware o SoW so they are switching their marketing focus elsewhere..we will buy SoW in any case so why bother?

La7_brook
04-24-2007, 01:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
When time comes, you`ll hear all about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but its been like years we heard abelt this urban myth called BoB , can we be really sure its coming http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Dagnabit
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by La7_brook:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
When time comes, you`ll hear all about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but its been like years we heard abelt this urban myth called BoB , can we be really sure its coming http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will know something in about 2 weeks.

PBNA-Boosher
04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I wonder if UBI is actually going to publish SoW: BoB. 1C is moving into the US and the rest of Europe, so is it possible that BoB will be directly published by 1C?

JG52Uther
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
I wonder if UBI is actually going to publish SoW: BoB. 1C is moving into the US and the rest of Europe, so is it possible that BoB will be directly published by 1C? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh please God yes!

XyZspineZyX
04-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey guys and gals?

Think about this a minute-

Ubi is a publisher. Are they requiring 1C:Maddox Games to provide them with progress reports?

UbiSoft isn't making SoW:BoB. They will publish and distribute (as it stands right now). They don't have any screenshots, details, interviews, etc.

You need to ask 1C Games, not Ubi. You're barking up the wrong tree, folks

Huxley_S
04-24-2007, 02:11 PM
The last development update on the IL2 / Pacific Fighters web site was November 2005.

A year and a half without any new stuff...?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

woofiedog
04-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I agree with the orginal post... that posting more of the devolopments and features of BoB and maybe some interviews with our own forum and game members or etc.

Would indeed... be a welcome change.

But I'm not holding my breath at the moment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Old_Canuck
04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
As much as I'm looking forward to SoW:BoB I don't mind staying in the dark if it helps Oleg & Co. to prevent their secrets from being stolen. It's hard for competing sim devs. to reverse engineer something they haven't even seen yet. Yes, this is a loyal fan base and Ubi doesn't have to bait us like they do with their cash cow FPS games. Face it, we're a niche market and as such we are not so high on the marketing priority list.

slappedsilly
04-25-2007, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As much as I'm looking forward to SoW:BoB I don't mind staying in the dark if it helps Oleg & Co. to prevent their secrets from being stolen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it takes Olegs team 5 years to get this far, I don't think any dev team could even start to "steal" thier secrets before it is released. After all, everyone has reality as a reference.

Bearcat99
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
While I certainly agree with you MP.... One would think that this place would lead the way in whetting the appetites of the faithful so to speak... and other places would be coming here for info... I can't help but still have visions of the whole PF debacle in my mind. There was a time when Oleg would pop his head in here.. in fact it was after that that we began seeing a lot less of him around here... and be called a liar, a history revisionist, a poor business man, a poor developer.... (This is the bottom line when people talk about bias in modelling, incomplete garbage, etc etc.. all of this and much worse was tossed at O & 1C after PF and before actually...) The man takes great pride in his work and rightfully so.

Now I am not saying that that is why he isn't here much because to tell the truth, I don't know.... I am sure he is thick skinned enough and can fight his own battles.... but when you have a growing family, a growing business, tons of work to do.... and a community base that while "loyal" will rip off your head and poop down your neck .... I would be a little more inclined to let the work speak for itself when the time comes.... and wait until I had tons of stuff to dish out before I started to feed the monster that will only demand more.... let it sleep and stew..... and dont feed it until the truck is backed up to the door because it is a ravenous beast this community. Like that plant in Little Shop of Horrors.... no matter what is delivered...... in the end it is "FEED ME OLEG!!!!! FEEEED ME!!"

So yeah..... I can dig it but it'll be OK. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I think BoB is going to be great.

Mysticpuma2003
04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
As much as I'm looking forward to SoW:BoB I don't mind staying in the dark if it helps Oleg & Co. to prevent their secrets from being stolen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Canuck, I appreciate what your saying, but that is not the case as regards this issue, because the images (details) have already been released by Ubi or 1C to another website.

Now spilling secrets is what you I presume meant, and I have no problem with that. What is bugging me is that the info, which I believe should have been seen here first, has been released to another website, and we have to link to it from here.

All I'm asking is that if 1C,Oleg or Ubi are going to release info. it should be here first, not somewhere else.

Feathered_IV
04-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Fortunately we have the KotS team, who are dishing out Friday updates of their WW1 sim just like Oleg used to do in the Old Testament days.

Looking forward to lighting up a fresh Camel soon... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Chivas
04-26-2007, 01:21 AM
I think there are a few factors involved.

1946 was recently released in the US so why hype up BOB and loose some sales of 1946.

We've seen the aircraft
They can't show the AI or FM in screenshots.
We know the terrain isn't done yet as they are still requesting time period buildings.

They could show screenshots of the Weather, and Terrain but may later have to tone down some aspects so the game is playable. Then someone will shove those old pics in their face is say what the H*LL happened. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I don't think they know yet how complex they can make the weather, Terrain, Aircraft, Buildings and Objects to run smoothly together with large amounts of aircraft in the air.

I would guess that we should see some activity next month.

~Salute~
Chivas

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 04:41 AM
When time comes, you`ll hear all about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems other forums clocks are more advanced than ours, then?

Skarphol
04-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Seems like many people is missing MysticPuma's point here: Why are news released on other sites first? Why isn't news released on this page?
We are probably the most eager persons in the whole world to see these updates. The complain is not about lack of news, but that other sites get news that we don't get. And that IS a strange policy.

Skarphol

bazzaah2
04-26-2007, 05:00 AM
God know why ubisoft would want to post screenies and so on forus, I mean it's not like they publish the software or anything. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2007, 05:31 AM
ut<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skarphol:
Seems like many people is missing MysticPuma's point here: Why are news released on other sites first? Why isn't news released on this page?
We are probably the most eager persons in the whole world to see these updates. The complain is not about lack of news, but that other sites get news that we don't get. And that IS a strange policy.

Skarphol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but, you see...I have answered that, but nobody wants to hear it, because they want a different answer. You folks aren't thinking very straight at all

UbiSOft is not the develpoer. They are a Publisher

What makes you think Ubi is getting ANY info about SoW:BoB?

You guys act as if Ubi has access to all these things, and they just won't release it. You all are assuming that Ubi is getting reports, or that Ubi is somehow inolved and has the data you want

Why do you think that Ubi has the updates you want to see? Ubi isn't doing code. Yet you think Ubi has updates

Who told you Ubi has updates? You think Ubi has Updates because you see that Ubi has a forum dedicated to a sim that the developer makes? I'm sorry but you guys are really lousy detectives. You're assuming a lot of things, and then asking questions about why nothing is happening based on your assumptions

have you entertained the idea that Ubi has NO info to give you? Ask yourself why Ubi has the information you're looking for. It's pretty clear to me that they don;t give upates here at Ubi's forums because UbiSoft doesn't have any updates to give!

if you want updates, ask at 1C game's website. You fish where the fish are. This thread is like the old joke about the man who loses his wallet in a dark alley, but he insists on searching for it across the street, under a streetlamp, because the light is better over there

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 05:43 AM
That's not really an answer, BBB462cid.

You are correct, UBI is the publisher - they give the money, they make the deals, they are responsible for pulic relations, while 1C is doing the programming.

Sure.

BUT if you were writing a book and publishing sites and pictures from it, without asking me, your publisher, or without giving me the chance to post them, I'd be very p'ssed. It's not SimHQ you have a contract with!

On the other hand, if I were to advertise and support a product, I'd be p'ssed, too, if I declared there are no pictures and informations to be released and my programming team still does on other boards. I'd get my hands dirty to get those informations posted on my site, too, cause new clients won't visit the hard-core-forums, they'll look for the official game-site.

The logic conclusion is, that UBI simply does not care and IMHO this is the worst option.

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Of course it is an answer! Has everyone but me forgotten that Ubi and 1C Maddox games often do things that we, as rational people, have absolutely no explanation for?

The answer here is the simple one, but as I say, nobody wants to hear it

Bearcat99
04-26-2007, 05:52 AM
I think what Cid is saying is that the folks who are releasing stuff are the ones who chose to do it elsewhere.... It is a decision not made by any "official" UBI person at all.... am I correct Cid?

So perhaps a better question would be.... and perhaps Ivan can help with this as he has been around here since day 1 more or less and knows many of the folks directly involved with BoB.... How come when people who have the information decide to release something.... it doesn't come here. It takes one of us to go .. say to SHQ and find the info and then bring it over here. Since it is going to get here anyway... why can't it be the other way around since this is "the site" for 1Cs flight sim base as it is.... basically.... Is that a better take on the issue and the real question to be asked?

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I think what Cid is saying is that the folks who are releasing stuff are the ones who chose to do it elsewhere.... It is a decision not made by any "official" UBI person at all.... am I correct Cid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I took it more like what he posted just before you did - basically something like "They were unrational before, that's how it is."

And that is not really an answer, it's a surrender to the circumstances.

But I think your point is quite good, Bearcat. If UBI decides to not post info here BEFORE it is released on a neutral site, why not post a link here? Let's face it - without people like raaaid and Kurfurst this forum would be dead. This is certainly no longer the place to look for news about a sim that is released by UBI.

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2007, 06:32 AM
For whatever reason, Ubi doesn't have the material. I'm not interested in "why they don't have it". 1C has given it to somebody else, Ubi threw it in the trash, I don't concern myself with what happened, it's irrelevent

The most evident and simplest answer is "Ubi doesn't have the material to share it". Does this mean Ubi isn't publishing the sim? That 1C Maddox Games has nothing new to show? That they have chosen a very few select outlets and that is it? That Oleg doesn't like Ubi? He doesn't trust them? Ubi refuses to accept the material? other info outlets released info they weren't supposed to?

Beats me and all I could do is guess, which seems pretty pointless. The fact is that there are no updates here. But it's way too convenient to say "ubi doesn't care". It's the answer for everything, isn't it? We just blame whatever the flavor of the month is on Ubi's idiocy, so we can feel better. All that does is make us feel like victims. Seriously, what good does that do? It won't get you you answers, now will it? If all we can do is just feel picked on by mean ol Ubi, then let's pack it in folks, to be honest I'm sick of the impotent "community" that rails against X Y and Z but doesn't do squat about anything. It's pathetic, and when "we" try to do something, have you noticed it's the childish path? Sign a forum petition...angry e-mails that have lots of passion and no content...and the worst part is, that most "info" is gleaned from the boards, from the community opinions, instead of on facts or logical thought. "Ubi doesn't care" is a cop-out here. It can even be 100% true, but it's just being repeated as a mantra, like saying "bless you" after somebody sneezes

Yeah, I don't like UbiSoft myself, but I don't let that color my thinking on the matter. "Ubi Doesn't care" is the answer that is no answer. My saying that Ubi doesn't have the material to show is perfectly plausible and even logical.

Ubi is French, 1C Maddox games is demonstrably not. We all know there is a distinct lack of communication between the two parties, and we've known it for years. Why then is it so surprising that Ubi has no info?

Is Ubi not on the list of information outlets? Do they not get to release info until some contractual obligation is filled? Is it just not their "turn" to get inside info right now? Are they just incompetent and failed to follow up on the matter?

I don't know, I'm not speculating on it, and I really don't care. The facts that concern me are that there are no updates from Ubi. The simplest answer is that they have no info to share, but that isn't a romantic enough scenario. It's too boring and mundane, it's too much like real life. Hell, in my profession the people who need to know are often the last to find out. "Oh, we are doing that test tomorrow AM, and all these fixtures need to be made in the machine shop by this afternoon, and you want ME to go tell the machinist at 2:30pm today?!" Common!

There's no communication between departments in the same firm and in the same building, let alone one in a France and one in Russia. My scenario is too blah to be fun, but you know that it's a very real possibility

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 07:07 AM
I think you still get us wrong here. We don't only want to know why UBI doesn't know first, we'd also like to know, why nobody from UBI finds it neccessary to post links on the official forum or even better, on the website, when those informations surface here and there.

After all it IS their product, even if they are "only" selling it.

And we're not only curious. At least I do feel strangly remembered to LOMACs support dying out a while ago and that wasn't a good thing to happen for distribution.

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, yes I do understand. The question is "why doesn't

Ubi do any updates or give any info"

And my answer is: they have nothing to show. This is the only answer I've been giving

I understand the original question 100%. It seems to me that you aren't prepared to accept my answer, but that doesn't show that I misunderstand the issue, Cap'n. All it shows is that you don't agree with my answer

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, yes I do understand. The question is "why doesn't Ubi do any updates or give any info" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.

Cid, we're not talking about *new* information, we're talking about allready published information.

Of course we understand that UBI has no new information and obviously is not the first person to pass information to, but still, UBI can post links and screens on these pages, that were released on other sites!

But of course, no matter what we're talking about, we can also disagree with your answer, of course, if that is more pleasing to you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Beyond that, because it simply is that way is no valid answer to why that is.

WWSpinDry
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Could it be that after all the cr@p they've put up with for so long here at "The Zoo," they've all but given up on it as a useful site?

Capt.LoneRanger
04-26-2007, 10:28 AM
That idea was going around for several month. After the myth that Oleg couldn't log in any longer was destroyed by himself, well, it really has something to it.

But then again, it reminds me badly to the LOMAC-story. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
um...this is surreal

I don't think I need to say anymore that my standpoint is that Ubi doesn't have the information to give

Today, tomorrow, last year, last month, two minutes ago, next week-

there's no news from ubi because they don't have the information, Cap!

I understand what you're saying, but you obstinately refuse to permit it. What's up with you?

Chivas
04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Where is all this information from other sites, most information about BOB has been on this site and 1946 CD with the odd post in other language UBI sites. There has been very little information coming from anywhere. I wish all the game review sites had new screenshots. Get a grip, it will be here when its here.

The bottom line is they will showcase BOB when they are ready and wherever this information is, there will be a link here within minutes.