PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Laptop

redeye1
10-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Can anyone recommend a laptop that will run PF in all its glory?

Thanks

wickedpenguin
10-10-2004, 11:08 AM
For "in all its glory" you're probably looking at an Alienware...

The Area-51m (http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51m/area-51m_features.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE)

And even then, its got only the GeForce 5000-series card, which doesn't have all of the bump-mapping goodness of the GeForce 6800 series that makes the water look so beautiful.

The good thing about AlienWares is that they actually have swappable video cards in their laptops. Meaning: a year from now, you can remove the video card and put in the latest one (somethng that's not very common with laptops).

lbhskier37
10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
no laptop will play PF with everything turned on. Laptops in general are poor gaming computers. To get a laptop that is even respectable in games you need to spend far more than a PC, plus then you get something that weighs 10lbs is 4 inches thick and has about a half hour of battery life kinda negating the pros of havinga laptop.

roboas
10-10-2004, 12:41 PM
check out powernotebooks.com

I don't know how you could get a desktop anymore powerful than these laptops...but I could be wrong.

Fliger747
10-10-2004, 01:29 PM
As I travel a LOT, I do drag around a laptop and a stick. Better than nothing, but you will find it a frustrating experience unless you lower your expectations a lot!

Despite a good processor speed, generally performance is limited by video considerations, both screen and card/memory.

My 'mainframe', running at half the processor speed as my laptop, does a far better job!

Billy_BigBoy
10-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Besides my normal rig I run FB on a notebook with a 2800+ AMD, 512mB and a 64mB ATI card.
Oké, I do not have that great performances, but for a quick combat it's good enough.
But yes,to get everything out of FB and soon PF, you will need a much more than that. And in notebook format that's going to cost you a lot of money http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

noshens
10-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Some people seem to underestimate laptops.

I got Dell 9100, p4 2.8ghz prescott, 512 ram, Ati 9700 mobility card. I play Il2 AEP on perfect settings with 20-60 fps online depending on map and amout of enemy planes.

The only drawback of this laptop is that battery life is 1-2 horus, it is heavy and pricy ( i payed $1700 for mine)

You can also configure it to have up to 2gigs of ram 3.4 mhz P4 and ATI 9800 mobility with 256mb of memory, which is more powerful than what 80% of people have it here.

noshens
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM
And oh ye, there is a big debate going on about Alienware VS Dell i9100/XPS. Just so you know generally Dells are more powerful and cheaper while Alienware is lighter and thinner.

peterm1
10-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I run FB at excellent settings with an IBM Thinkpad (A-31) which is three years old and only has a 16meg radeon mobility card and 512meg of RAM (1.6gig clock speed.) You can see its now pretty limited although very spiffy when I bought it. I only do this because I needed the box for work and have no intention of spending more dosh on a gaming rig. It happily runs missions but there are lags when the missions put a LOT of planes in the air or the maps are very large. It also lacks soem of the hardware goodies of latest full blown cards. For most purposes though it is not bad and I anticipate being able to run PF at equivalent settings to FB . All in all I believe it "punches above its weight." However there are downsides. First I have to clear out as much RAM as possible before playing by using a RAM cleaning utility. I also have to close all background apps. Secondly and more importantly apart from dropping in extra RAM (and that is usually limited to one expansion slot) there is not much you can do about hardware upgrades -e.g. the video card is hard wired into the system board in most systems (I think one has an upgradeable vc). Finally the drivers for laptops video cards seem to be not well supported by the manufacturers (they often run drivers that are modded from the desktop versions) As the laptop manufacturers do not give a toss about gamers (not their core business) you will have to use 3rd party modded drivers. Fortunately the drivers from OMEGA CORMER will run on laptops and are excellent. They also come out regularly and have major benefits for laptop users. All in all if you HAVE to get a laptop, it can run FB and probably PF but my bet is NOT at the perfect settings. Good Luck

noshens
10-10-2004, 04:27 PM
That's another thing what I like about my dell, most of the parts are upgratable (ram, hd, processor, videocard, ummmm i think everything except motherboard) and there is good drivers support (I can use just usual catalyst or omega drivers for video cards for example, and there was new bios driver released 2 days ago, etc.)

TheGozr
10-10-2004, 06:19 PM
What i can say is that the next time that i show PF at a gaming show I certainly will not get an Alienware PC or laptop.. Neither a dell .

BlakJakOfSpades
10-10-2004, 11:39 PM
http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/GX6/index.asp

yes, it will cost u a crapload

edit: on second thought, go with the dell, looks better all around

Fritzofn
10-11-2004, 03:57 AM
there is in reality only 2 choices here

alienware (first answerpost)
or, my favorite

www.go-l.com (http://www.go-l.com) <- those dudes KNOW how to make a fast laptop, they even got a laptop with RAID solution http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif