PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors on Aircraft

MAILMAN------
06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Why is it that we have no mirrors on any of the P-51 Mustangs? As is these planes cannot look directly aft for a quick glance. I have photographs of various versions of the P-51 that clearly shows these devices installed on the canopy in the book "Mustang Aces of the Eighth Air Force" by Jerry Scutts. These aircraft flew in the 8th Air Force and include the P-51B original bird cage, P-51B with modified bubble canopy and P-51 D with the full bubble canopy. Did the various P-47's have this feature as well?

MAILMAN------
06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Why is it that we have no mirrors on any of the P-51 Mustangs? As is these planes cannot look directly aft for a quick glance. I have photographs of various versions of the P-51 that clearly shows these devices installed on the canopy in the book "Mustang Aces of the Eighth Air Force" by Jerry Scutts. These aircraft flew in the 8th Air Force and include the P-51B original bird cage, P-51B with modified bubble canopy and P-51 D with the full bubble canopy. Did the various P-47's have this feature as well?

SeaFireLIV
06-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Assign a key in config to Mirror. If P51 had mirrors then it will be there. Some aircraft didn`t have mirrors, even if you were blind behind. But I`m pretty sure the P51 will have.

F5 is my assignment.

MAILMAN------
06-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I have the keys mapped to toggle the mirrors. The problem is that the P-51 as modeled in the Pacific Fighters game does not have it modeled or available. That is why I broached the subject. The P-51, all variants, had them installed, maybe not at Englewood or Dallas, but certainly in England. As stated in the initial post there are wartime photographs of the Mustangs with rear view mirrors which looked similar to the mirrors on the Spitfire.

Tallyho1961
06-11-2005, 12:08 PM
P-51C and new Mustang III, which I think is the RAF version of the 51C, have mirrors. The other variants, in the sim, do not.