PDA

View Full Version : OT: Falcon 4.0 vs LOMAC

Bearcat99
09-16-2005, 10:28 PM

WarWolfe_1
09-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Jets have no asthetics, just plane ugly. Well there are a few I like: F-86, F-4, A-6, A-10, and F-100.

GAU-8
09-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Bear,

your choices would make you have to split options somewhere...

graphics-------------LOMAC

damage modeleing...........LOMAC

artificial intelegence.....FALCON

flight modedeling...........FALCON

the "wow" factor says LOMAC is top dawg

the "just like the real thing..only smaller" prize belongs to FALCON.

falcon is the most "real" on side by side comparison to its actual counterpart.

you fly LOMAC to "simulate" jets...FALCON to FLY the real thing.. in somewhat dated graphics, yet most acurate glory. avionics/radar, etc.etc. its all there in more detail than LOMAC could compare.

with falcon loaded up, anybody could learn to fire the beast up EXACTLY as you have to fire it up in real life. thats why the pilots loved it... EVERY sequence to start-up, (as well as some others) could be used for full authenticity..

Professor_06
09-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Falcon 4 is the only true "high fidelity" flight sim with true avionics and accurate weapon systems, FM, etc. Lomac is eye candy. enough said.

BaldieJr
09-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I have both and dont care for either.

BF2 is fun though!

Bearcat99
09-16-2005, 11:10 PM
WEll I see from my poll results what to do now...LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

LEXX_Luthor
09-16-2005, 11:22 PM
StrikeFighters. If you can't stomach the modern jet superfighters, its StrikeFighters sim or Nothing. I am using SF to attempt to mold (not mod) it into an early Cold War Turn Hot strategic bombing/interception sim, so the hardcore tactical "dogfight" flight model is not needed, and the 3rd Party mods have come out with almost the full Soviet interceptor force (Tu-128 soon) and almost the full USA strategic bomber force (B-58 soon). Its a tough mold though, it was not designed for strategic operations.

GAU-8
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
ahh SFP1, and W.O.V. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(of course fe me, W.O.V. getting the nod because it fully supports track-IR )

jasonbirder
09-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Its got to be F4 for me all the way!
The clickable cockpit and hard-core avionics/radar give a massive immersion factor and the dynamic campaign is awesome!
Don't get me wrong I like a bit of A-G in an A10 or Su25 in LOMAC...but its not got the same install the game & play it none stop till your eyeballs bleed addiction factor of F4!!!

Lucius_Esox
09-17-2005, 06:31 AM
Bearcat,

I have owned and "flown" both. I think out of the two F4 more accurately portrays what happens in modern air to air combat. For sure the graphics in Lomac are fab but for me it misses the point of what a modern jet sim should be about..

In F4 with Awacs link you literally watch the air battle unfold in front of your eyes in a more realistic way than in Lomac imo (hey what do I know I mend w/machines for a living http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

It is very technical and in some respects if you see your opponent you have "blown" it..

F4 is truly about understanding your weapons systems and using them to your best advantage. You have to be a technician almost, which from what I've read is pretty realistic.

You spend a lot of time looking at your displays in F4, letting your electronics do your work for you.

In short imo humble opinion modern jet combat that does not involve the technical aspect is pretty boring = Lomac,, which doesn't do it as well.

It's a very steep curve but when mastered the immersion is awesome.. think of it as using your planes electronics to increase your SA to out to about 100 plus miles,, fun,, for some http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lipfert_5JG52
09-17-2005, 06:58 AM
I have both, I like both, I fly both (and I do it hardcore). Falcon4:AF will make your head explode if your not used to Jet sim's. It's alot to take in when starting.

So, I would say start with LOMAC/Flaming Cliff's and get to know the A-10A and do some ground pounding and SAM/AAA avoidance. Then move up to the F-15 and if you can figure it out, then Falcon4:AF will not make your head explode.

I really enjoy the low level ground pounding in LOMAC myself. If you need any help tweaking LOMAC, ThomasDW is the person to ask. He has mine running perfect.

So my vote would be fly both !

MEGILE
09-17-2005, 11:50 AM
LOMAC for DM, FMs and graphics.. although I have seen people on certain Falcon forums attempt to claim Flacon's graphics are in someway suprerior http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

F4:AF for Dynamic campaign, fidelty of cockpit controls.....

although with LOMAC's upcomming addon Black Shark will be the final nail in the coffin for F4 in the cockpit department.
Clickable cockpits, realistic avionics.. and ofcourse the amazing LOMAC Flight models... will make LOMAC truly the best flight sim.

I own both, fly both, and enjoy both.

F4.0 can seem a bit daunting at first.. and I can see why some people never get the hang of it... but for me, after two weeks its relatively simple.. not much harder than LOMAC.

The damage model and flight model of the SU-25T are light years ahead of F4:AF... so if you don't fly the SU-25T you're gonna miss out on alot.

I just wish LOMAC had a multirole NATO flyable aircraft.. but ED have mentioned the possibilty of an F-16 in the future.

horseback
09-17-2005, 01:12 PM
I bought both; the local Frys had 'em on sale for $20 each (Falcon 4.0 Allied Force and Lock On Gold - what a deal!). I'm still fighting my way through the manuals and basic training missions, though. The Falcon manual runs some 700 pages for one plane...I need waaay more joystick buttons!

The comment about making your head explode is dead on. I have to be careful, because the ceiling above my computer is the popcorn variety - very hard to clean.

cheers

horseback

WTE_Ibis
09-18-2005, 05:24 AM
I bought the original Falcon4 and went through all the upgrades etc.It was my introduction to flight sims and though I found it tough going I loved it.
Then came IL2 and I'm stuck there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
I own LockOn, have tried it a couple of times but I'm straight back to IL2. Must try it again with the latest patches. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

alert_1
09-18-2005, 06:30 AM
LOMAC is like gorgeous, yet rather simple minded blond, always ready for litte fun, as long as you dont ask any question..F4 is like brunete with glasses, you must "feel in" to become fond of her and it takes some time but finally you are bound to fall in eternal love with her...

Jester_159th
09-18-2005, 06:58 AM
One thing to remember is that LOMAC is still suffering the after effects of Ubi forcing the original out the door to try and grab Christmas sales before the developers were ready.

Once you've experienced the advanced flight model (as they phrase it) as now present in the SU-25 and 25T models, you get some idea of what the original COULD have been like given about another 12 months work. The good news is they already have a new project in the pipeline where all aircraft will have that type of flight model.

Graphics wise LOMAC wins hands down. There is just no comparing them. And since F4 is based on a much older engine it really wouldn't be fair to. Suffice to say that some of the aircraft models are very, very poor.

From an attention to detail point of view, F4AF is much more accurate...Just print off the manual if your printer can handle the strain!!

Finally, I haven't had very much experience with F4AF, but AI wise, LOMAC is sadly lacking. It's not too bad as an enemy, but as a wingman it's totally brainless. This is one area ED need to radically rework in their next project (Not Black Shark, but the next one they start from scratch). Online, however LOMAC is extremely good...especially with a good squad.

So it depends what you want. Both sims have some very strong points and both have some very weak points. If you want graphics, flight model and want to fly online more than in single player, LOMAC's your choice. If you're not worried about graphics but want a sim of such complexity it can take up to twenty minutes just to start your engines, with an excellent dynamic campaign environment and are more interested in offline play, then F4AF is your ride.

Or buy them both and get the best of both worlds!

CrashVenturie
09-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Falcon4 as THE best FM of all the sim out there. I wish that LOMAC would have that FM plus a full clickable 3D pit, now that would make my day...

Bearcat99
09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all your responses.. keep emcoming.. I am a prophead at heart and will always be a prop simmer .. but I just want to give LOMAC a fair go.. I realy dont want to buy another sim so LOMSAC and FB will be it for me till bob comes out.