PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Memorial Day, Australia

KG66_Gog
04-02-2008, 06:00 AM
The inaugural Bomber Command Memorial Day will be taking place in Canberra at the Bomber Command Memorial on the first of June, 2008 at approx. 1100h.

It is planned to conduct this event every year on 1st of June.

It's about time that such an event was organised and the sacrifice of these men was made known to the general public because for too long they have been forgotten.

If you're in the area, please drop by and be a part of it.

KG66_Gog
04-02-2008, 06:00 AM
The inaugural Bomber Command Memorial Day will be taking place in Canberra at the Bomber Command Memorial on the first of June, 2008 at approx. 1100h.

It is planned to conduct this event every year on 1st of June.

It's about time that such an event was organised and the sacrifice of these men was made known to the general public because for too long they have been forgotten.

If you're in the area, please drop by and be a part of it.

MarkGos
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll try and get my father (85) to the day. He served with RNZAF Sqd 75 from 42 till the end. 36 Missions in total in Lancs

WTE_Googly
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the gen Gog, like you said, it's about time.

Just as an aside to MarkGos, last year I purchased a very good book about New Zealanders in Bomber Command. If you haven't already got it I thoroughly recommend it. It is called 'Night after Night' by Max Lambert. LOTS of 75 Squadron stories.

http://www.rsa.org.nz/review/bs2005february/bookshelf_4.html

mhuxt
04-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I'll have to ask the old boy down the road from me if he's going. He was on 10 Sqn at the very least, also I think on 75 though Max Lambert told me he'd not heard the name.

Night After Night is an excellent book, lots of 75 Sqn stuff as noted.