PDA

View Full Version : Strange water=3 behavior

FatBoyHK
11-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Just upgraded to 3500+, 6800GT and Cosair 1G RAM, finally I can play PF with Water=3, Forest=3, and FSAA set to 2xQ.....hooray!!!

But I find something very strange, and very annoying as well.... If I play on open sea, or open land with a few river, I got good framerate, about 40, even when I am on the deck.... but if I play on Pacific Island map, or Crima Map, which have a lot of shoreline, framerate drop down to around 15, barely playable....

so is it true that shoreline require heavy processing?

FatBoyHK
11-05-2004, 10:00 AM
?

FatBoyHK
11-05-2004, 04:38 PM
nobody cares?

Slammin_
11-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Water=3=animated shorelines and beaches. Why are you so shocked you are getting an fps hit?

LEXX_Luthor
11-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Interesting thanks Fats. With ATI~9200 I have never approached that level but someday I will, so I'll be on the lookout for this...Feature.

Indeed, perhaps animated shoreline could be made option to turn OFF.

Fats, are you getting low fps over inland maps with lots of rivers but no ocean beach? Most of my flying is inland maps over the FB, and I hope the rivers do not have animated shoreling lol.

FatBoyHK
11-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Yes, if there is a lot of river, like the Black Death track, there is problems too....

But I've found that I can solve most of the problem by disabling VSync, still experimenting with it, seem promsing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Phil_C
11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
I dunno if this is also an issue that is causing the slow down or not but before i was just enjoying myself and flying around okinawa (sp?) and i noticed that if the texture detail wasnt set on perfect, and was just on high, that the water closest to the land, and the beach itself, would take on the shape of the slope of the island. Now, with perfect on it now has a distinct shoreline and there is a transition from sea to sand to land... again not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but it might.