PDA

View Full Version : Manual Targetting Questions

Johnny_JG2
04-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm in mid-late 42 with 22 patrols, and I decided to go full real 100%. I haven't read any tutorials, though I do understand the basics of the TDC - but I have a few questions.

All of a sudden, the game has taken on a new feel - much more intense. I don't care if I get mass tonnage now, I will be happy to just kill a few ships. It's much more challenging now and I have to work for it.. I like it.

Is it possible to manually enter in a speed or range in the notepad - without going to the TDC screen and doing it there? No big deal, but it would be nice.

Does the TDC compensate for my own ship's speed? I doubted that it did, so when I attacked a ship I made sure I was stopped before getting my solution.

My first contact after leaving port was a large convoy. I got them in sight and just learned on the job as I plotted a solution on a C3. I was amazed - I hit it from 1.5km away my first shot ever on 100%. It hit a little forward of where I was aiming- but I was very happy! I went 2 for 4 on my first 4 torps fired.

I was having trouble at first trying to mark masthead height in the 15m/s storm, but then I moved the scope to the side and looked at how many marks up it was, then I marked it accurately. I was surprised at how easily it all went. The main difficulty is plotting accurate courses on the navmap- but even that can be done, it just takes time gathering all the information, plus I had to listen to the hydrophone manually and estimate distances. Luckily I've been practicing this for a while, so I was able to get close.. but still it's tough.

Anyone have any tips or pitfalls to watch out for with manual?

Johnny_JG2
04-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm in mid-late 42 with 22 patrols, and I decided to go full real 100%. I haven't read any tutorials, though I do understand the basics of the TDC - but I have a few questions.

All of a sudden, the game has taken on a new feel - much more intense. I don't care if I get mass tonnage now, I will be happy to just kill a few ships. It's much more challenging now and I have to work for it.. I like it.

Is it possible to manually enter in a speed or range in the notepad - without going to the TDC screen and doing it there? No big deal, but it would be nice.

Does the TDC compensate for my own ship's speed? I doubted that it did, so when I attacked a ship I made sure I was stopped before getting my solution.

My first contact after leaving port was a large convoy. I got them in sight and just learned on the job as I plotted a solution on a C3. I was amazed - I hit it from 1.5km away my first shot ever on 100%. It hit a little forward of where I was aiming- but I was very happy! I went 2 for 4 on my first 4 torps fired.

I was having trouble at first trying to mark masthead height in the 15m/s storm, but then I moved the scope to the side and looked at how many marks up it was, then I marked it accurately. I was surprised at how easily it all went. The main difficulty is plotting accurate courses on the navmap- but even that can be done, it just takes time gathering all the information, plus I had to listen to the hydrophone manually and estimate distances. Luckily I've been practicing this for a while, so I was able to get close.. but still it's tough.

Anyone have any tips or pitfalls to watch out for with manual?

jmikkelsen
04-24-2005, 01:28 AM
http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/
Wazoo's Manual Plotting & Targeting Tutorial