PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire IX vs P51

Jagdklinger
01-25-2005, 09:01 PM
How do these compare
(a) in the game
(b) historically (kill ratios?)

[From what I can see, the P51 is quicker but the Spit better armed (cannons, woo woo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) with better climb and turn?]

c. What are the best tactics to use for each?

PS: I know this is unrealistic, but has anyone flown a P51 AGAINST a Spit or vice versa? I try to satisfy my curiosity with the AI with 8v8 mtachups, but that's always a bit rigged...

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Spitfire IX:
- climbs better
- turns better
- is better armed (depending on style of pilot)

P-51D-20
- has a gyro gunsight
- turns same or better at high speed
- has vastly superior range (not that it matters here)
- dives faster
- faster top speed

Between the two, the Mustang is the faster one and has quite a few good features. But it doesn't turn as well which is bad for many players who rely on more angles fighting.

In a straight up 1 VS 1, the Spitfire may win if the Mustang pilot tries to really mix it up. Performance is close so pilot skill counts.

I think of it this way, the P-51D can compete with the FW190D-9 and Bf-109K-4. The Spitfire IX struggles to keep up with tese two. The XIV is more in the realm of the Mustang (the XIV matches or outperforms the Mustang on most accounts except for range which is considerably less).

dieg777
01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Spitfire is far better looking http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

mynameisroland
01-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Spitfire performs better as a dogfighter than the P51. Co alt and Co energy state the Spitfire will force the Mustang to dive away because it is slower in climb and its acceleration is inferior. The Spitfire is also a very clean design and its responsiveness is ok at high speeds so you can use it to dive on an opponent with high E advantage and still be able to manuver for a shot - something the P51 is also good at. The big adavantage for me is that the Spitfire needs to get the Mustang in its sights only for a split second because 1 or 2 x Hispanno shells will ruin a P51's day very quickly.

I remember an RAF ace being quoted as saying in early 1944 he was happy to fly the Mustang because it had range to get to Germany and therefore had the better chance of engaging Luftwaffe fighters but that he couldnt wait to be able to switch back to the Spit IX once the Allies had landed in France and range ceased to become such an issue.