PDA

View Full Version : What torpedos do you guys prefer

alanschu
04-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I prefer the steam powered ones for their speed...although I notice as the war progresses they keep giving me more and more electric powered ones by default http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

The way I see it, I get close enough that the evidence the wake leaves is irrelevant, while at the same time I get some good range out of the deal (on rare occassions I can pick off a target about 4 km out).

I imagine the warhead power on all the torpedos is the same though right?

TooFastForLove.
04-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I like the T1's also. I find it doesn't matter if a merchantman sees the steam trail as its already too late by that point. With a destroyer however that could be a problem. I've only ever killed one however and that was at night.

alanschu
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I've killed a couple of destroyers with my T1s...although the only two I've killed that weren't engaging me was at night. They didn't make any indication that they had spotted my fast-speed torpedos by the time they got hit.

I have two other destroyer kills as well, where they were chasing me and I fired from my aft torpedos with magnetic pistol. Sooo satisfying. In fact, I took out a V&W and an armed trawler that was guarding a convoy. I was out of torpedos, so I followed the convoy for 2 days until the weather cleared and sunk them all with my deck gun. An entire convoy wasted by one submarine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (to be fair, I did take out about 5 or 6 ships with torpedos first, and crippled another).

One thing I like about the fast torpedos is that they reach their minimum distance faster....so I find I can wait a bit before finally firing that aft torpedo so they can't avoid it. However I guess they wouldn't try to avoid a torpedo they couldn't detect though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But 1.8 km range sucks :P

quillan
04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
T1 torps are great. Long range should you need it, fast when you need speed, and reliable. The only drawback is the visible wake, which isn't really a huge drawback.

T2 torps SUCK! Forget the 1800 meter max range. If you have dud torpedoes switched on, you don't want these guys. When set to magnetic, don't fire at any target more than 400 meters away. Over half my T2s have exploded prematurely, when fired as magnetic. They're only reliable in impact mode, and the short range makes that not work extremely well.

I haven't gotten to the T3 yet, but I expect it will be good. Slower than the T1, should be as reliable, and wakeless, with a 7500 meter range.

I judge the T3 (which I haven't been able to use yet) by the T4 (which I have). The T4 is slower, but has been utterly reliable so far. The only one I had that failed to go off was fired at a ship in very rough seas, and seemed to hit the stern when it rode low. It does home in the target, too.

I haven't gotten to the point where the FaT or LUT pattern-running torpedoes, or the Zaunkonig homing torpedo are available yet, so I don't know anything about them. Of the ones I've currently used, the T1 is my workhorse.

blue_76
04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
T1s are my favorite also, you have more options to play with in the tdc screen.
the pattern running torpedoes are also great later on in the war when you encounter convoys and notice that their defences are too strong to move in for a good shot.

tankeriv
04-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Zaunkonig's rule.
They are definitely the coolest at the scene.

Once I had a Destroyer at my tail launched the Zaunkonig I at a 180 Degrees.

The Zaunkonig turned around went after the destroyer but missed initially.
Turned around to come for another pass started zigzagging and struck at the Destroyers engine compartment.

It has also happened to me that I launched a Zaunkonig I and lost track of it.

All a sudden I heard someone saying Torpedo treffer.

Had a look through the external view and saw that a Destroyer about 900 M behind me went up in flames.

Don't know how it got there but the point is it struck home!.

Maj_Death
04-09-2005, 05:42 PM
T-1's, I rarely use the added range but the speed makes up for any disadvantages it may have. BTW, the T-4 and T-5 are great. But I can't say I care for the pattern running ones.

blue_76
04-09-2005, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tankeriv:
Zaunkonig's rule.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the Zaunkonig had some problems.. sometimes it would detonate early far behind a ship. the allied forces discovered that it was only good at detecting ships at around 15 knots, so they could generally avoid it by going slower.. there were also devices that the allies came up with as decoys for the torpedo's detection system. if all these are implemented in the game, should make it very difficult for the G7es to be effective.

missouridrifter
04-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I like the ones that explode when I expect them to. LOL

Tyke909
04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Only used T1 and 2's so far, greatly prefer the 1's.

How the hell do you guys hit chasing destroyers so often? The only ones I have sunk any is when they ram my conning tower as I dive and you get no credit for that tonnage.

Incidentally what torp depth do you find effective on C2's? at 5-7m depth mag pistol 1 torp fired beam on 90 deg at 600m range typically stops a C2 or removes some barnacles and it takes a second to do the job if not a third. I am a submarine n00b (my first ever sub sim btw) so looking for far more experienced skippers advice.

quillan
04-09-2005, 07:20 PM
1-2 meters below the keel. You have to look in the recognition manual to see what a ships draft is, and set the depth just below that. C2s have a 7.8 meter draft, so I go 8.8 normally, 9 or 9.5 if the sea is very rough. I almost never get a one hit kill on a C2. It is by far the toughest ship I've encountered thus far. I've had to use as many as 4 torps on a C2, and I sunk the Nelson with 3...

Treesqueak
04-09-2005, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooFastForLove.:
I like the T1's also. I find it doesn't matter if a merchantman sees the steam trail as its already too late by that point. With a destroyer however that could be a problem. I've only ever killed one however and that was at night. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got 3 on one patrol. One at over 4000 meters and that one was by accident. **** ENTER key. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Mike http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

[]_---_[] KITT
04-09-2005, 11:00 PM
i DEMAND wire guided torpedoes like those in Dangerous Waters.......sooooooooo many misses http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

alanschu
04-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Impact torpedos work the best for me on the C2.

If you can get a 90 degree hit at around 6-7 m depth with a T1 just in front of the bridge or to the front part of the bridge (there's a small range I find) I can almost always split the thing in two with a single torpedo.

I believe the engine or fuel is there, because frequely the whole ship just starts exploding and erupts in flames http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Aragorn87
04-09-2005, 11:07 PM
I use mostly T2s because they're wakeless, but i havnt had luck hitting DDs Is the extra speed worth it over the wakeless one?

marioh99
04-11-2005, 09:35 AM
In the early stages of the war, I prefer the T1, alot more reliable. I'm in 41 now, and I load up exclusively with the T2's. Reliability seems to be better later on in the war, though I did have 3 duds 2 patrols ago. I also set my torps to impact only, it seems that the chances of a dud are less with impact (plus you don't run the risk of the stinking torpedo exploding right in front of your uboat).
The T2's fit my style, which is sneaking up within 500m of my target before firing. The T2's are effective with short range shots like that. I won't even waste my time or torpedo with targets farther out than 800m with the T2's, and I avoid fighting warships if I can.

BaneSixEcho
04-11-2005, 09:51 AM
T1 all the way. Their speed is key for me. I tend to fire from within 400m - 800m so even if they spot the bubble trail it's too late to do much about it. I've only had one destroyer so far notice the bubble trail and take evasive action, the rest of the various ships have been totally oblivious.

I tried the T2's once, but most of them prematurely detonated. I haven't tried them since. It's now early 1941 for me so maybe I'll take a couple with me on my next patrol to see if they've been improved from worthless.

rupert77
04-11-2005, 10:53 AM
It says under the T2 description that most of it's problems were solved shortly after the Norwegian campaign thus you should expect to receive mainly working T2's by sometime around summer 1940. Don't think they fixed the magnetic pistol by then though.

In the manual it also says that the magnetic pistol is very dependent on weather (shouldn't be used in a storm) and in certain geographical regions aka the closer you get to the pole the less likely it is that it'll function correctly.

I too prefer the T1 over the T2, the bubbles are a drawback but otherwise 44kn combined with excellent range make evasive manouveres close to impossible.

Don't have the T3 myself but am optimistic and pattern running and homing torpedoes should be cool anyhow. The Zaunkoenig was fooled by all kinds of devices but it takes a while till the Allies develop them, thus the player should be able to wreck havoc with them for a few months.

Have a question though, what is the minimum distance for the torps and do some ships have certain coatings that protect them from certain pistols? I can't remember which torp I used but in one such incident I fired two torps at a DD I believe and they just bumped against it's hull and plummeted to the ocean floor and exploded, weird.

marioh99
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Minimum distance, I believe, is 300m for the torp to arm. I won't shoot a torp at anything closer than 400m to be on the safe side.
Torps that bounce off ship hulls are either duds or didn't hit the hull at a good angle to trigger the detonation.

ExitStrategy
04-11-2005, 03:13 PM
It seems if you set a torpedo to fast then the trigger distace is further than the 300 meters. Something more like 450 or so meteres in my experience. As I hear this is because the faster moving torp hits the target faster so needs a little more distance to arm.

Also, if you notice lots of torps bouncing off a ship I tried setting my torpedos shallower based on some advice from this forum. Allegedly as you get deeper some ships have a serious curve as you get well below waterline. This curve I heard could cause the impact triggers to foul.

After testing this it seems that I had fewer duds when setting depth lower.

Messervy
04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tankeriv:
Zaunkonig's rule.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the Zaunkonig had some problems.. sometimes it would detonate early far behind a ship. the allied forces discovered that it was only good at detecting ships at around 15 knots, so they could generally avoid it by going slower.. there were also devices that the allies came up with as decoys for the torpedo's detection system. if all these are implemented in the game, should make it very difficult for the G7es to be effective. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yesterday I fited T lV at a flower class corvette. When I was tracing the torp I heard two loud bangs then at my dismay I saw that Corvette had temporarily stoped it`s engines. The torpedo missed offcourse and left me wondering what the hell happened.
Brilliant game.

marioh99
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExitStrategy:

Also, if you notice lots of torps bouncing off a ship I tried setting my torpedos shallower based on some advice from this forum. Allegedly as you get deeper some ships have a serious curve as you get well below waterline. This curve I heard could cause the impact triggers to foul.

After testing this it seems that I had fewer duds when setting depth lower. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah-ha. I didn't realize that about the depth, but when I first started playing the game, the first thing I did was set the torpedo depth to either 1 or 2. Good to know though, thanks.

Flagstaff72
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Funny story... I had a Clemson destroyer bearing towards me after I've molested a convoy. I fire a T1 from a bow tube, even though my gyro angle wasn't perfect. I go to free view to watch the wake, and immediately curse myself as it is clearly going to miss. However, apparently the Clemson sees the torpedo and takes evasive action... the wrong way. Turns its bow directly into the torpedo's path. Perfect catch, one less Clemson.

Maj_Solo
04-12-2005, 10:20 AM
T1

rupert77
04-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I'll try that.

Mind you minimum 300-400m sounds okay but had a somewhat frustrating experience yesterday. Was June 1940, after reading on this forum concerning the range of the VIIB I really took my time on this mission and sailed all the way to AM29 (W of Scotland) on ahead slow. When I got there I found and intercepted a 'Large Convoy'. Hah, it even only had one silly DD doing the defending. Dived under it and right into the convoy, fired my torps above 400m (somewhere around 550m, 2xT1's 2xT2's) and all (!) bounced off. Sunk a 11k tons tanker with a lucky shot with the fifth T1 but otherwise all my torps were duds, bouncers, premature explosions and one missed, in total 7 torps, ...wasted. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Naturally we had storm so I couldn't man the deck gun.

Oh and intercepted a DD NE of Scotland, he didn't notice me, salvo of two T2, one went past the other exploded (magnetic) under his propellers (even made the DD bounce up) he just sailed on, no change in speed course or anything... wtf?! Have noticed this a few times now, if the DD doesn't detect the sub it won't notice the torp, not even depth charge like explosions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Don't get me wrong 'duds' rule, they are annoying but historic so don't mind a bit but the destroyers not reacting to explosions is weird no?