PDA

View Full Version : Heroes 6 graphics : scaling up for high-end PCs

dchalfont
09-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Hardware scaling...crank it up.

Art style is obviously more important than graphics in the heroes series, but is it too much to ask that as a PC exclusive, this game have setting that scale up higher than your average users PC can run ?

This does not mean however that the required specs need be increased, but perhaps have an additional 'ultra' graphics settings that really pushes the hardware eg. if the high or very high setting is 2048x2048 shadow/texture res...double it again for the highest setting. 16QAA was an option in games that I had turned on back in 2003...AA support is definitely a must but cards now support up to 32aa with a single card, it would be nice to have those options available in game

I'm loving the existing textures in the game it looks very sexy, but I fear this will be the last non MMO ( or offline capable/single player ) heroes game and I really want the longevity that this game deserves in the graphics department.

dchalfont
09-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Hardware scaling...crank it up.

Art style is obviously more important than graphics in the heroes series, but is it too much to ask that as a PC exclusive, this game have setting that scale up higher than your average users PC can run ?

This does not mean however that the required specs need be increased, but perhaps have an additional 'ultra' graphics settings that really pushes the hardware eg. if the high or very high setting is 2048x2048 shadow/texture res...double it again for the highest setting. 16QAA was an option in games that I had turned on back in 2003...AA support is definitely a must but cards now support up to 32aa with a single card, it would be nice to have those options available in game

I'm loving the existing textures in the game it looks very sexy, but I fear this will be the last non MMO ( or offline capable/single player ) heroes game and I really want the longevity that this game deserves in the graphics department.

Doomcore
09-23-2010, 04:18 AM
I believe the graphics will have enough of detail, but what I care about most is: I don't want it too look childish and pokemon-like like in H5, the models and the world (arhitecture, nature, etc.) has too look ''realistic'' and scary at the moments. It will certainly give some additional atmosphere and mood to the game.

Mr.Dragon
09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
I'd say go the opposite route:

Please make the game as accessible as possible to low end PCs, I'm not saying they should drop the graphics further then they currently are but the longevity of a game has never been controlled by it's graphics.
Longevity is decided by it's core gameplay experience being solid and/or it's moddability/customizability that will allow the community to keep it afloat.

Look at Heroes III for example, it still his a living, breathing, playing community.
Or Warcraft III, same story.
Neither of those games has aged well in terms of graphics, heck Warcraft III is by current standards butt ugly, Heroes III has fared better with it's charming 2d Sprites, but that does not diminsh it's popularity in the slightest.

As for Heroes V, maybe it had a little bit of a soft element to it, calling it childish and pokemon like though is a horrifying overstatement, simple things like the goblin to large the black dragon looked both detailed and believable, in addition it's bright colours and vibrant world made it a visually stimulating, creating less visual fatigue by repeated colours. (unlike say Gears of War, Call of Duty or any other of that generation which only covers the brown to gray spectrum of colours.)
Next to that it supported gameplay, units, terrain and spell effects were easy to distinguish and identify in an instant supporting gameplay.

Of course these are just my thoughts, don't flame me for it.
I'm all for a game being beautiful, just not at the cost of other significantly more important elements.

dchalfont
09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted Thu September 23 2010 04:38 Hide Post
I'd say go the opposite route:

Please make the game as accessible as possible to low end PCs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the reason PC games have settings...there is no justification whatsoever to gimp the entire game for the sake of the low end users, ANYONE can play any pc game with the settings turned down. Making the highest settings on par with what could have been medium setting with higher scaling graphics makes no difference to the people that run it at those settings because it looks identical, but it does make a difference to those who no longer have the option to turn it up because the developers make the standard extremely low.

I didn't say that they should spend development resources into developing 2million polygon characters, I was talking about the settings that can simply be scaled down with the push of a button, like textures, shadows and AA. These things do not add to the development cost, for the developers having 4096,2048, 1024, 512, 256 shadow or texture res makes for ultra,very high,high,medium, low costs the same as making it 2048,1024, 512, 256, with no ultra settings. It just means that a setting for those that can run it. The fact that most games only support up to 8aa is not because the game cannot support higher, it's because they made it so the button stops at 8. AA is one feature you can force other ways, but I see no reason, given that it takes the same amount of time to set it up to scale up higher, that they should not do so.

@Doomcore

Have a look at the screenshots that were released, there is no question that this games art style is darker and more adult, it looks amazing.

Mr.Dragon
09-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Ah right.
Sorry I completely misread your post and thought people were going on a "graphics graphics graphics" train again which would mean high poly counts, high end textures and gratuitous animation.
My apologies.

Yeah support for things like that, provided they don't suck up many months of development time better spent elsewhere is not something I could object against.
Heck getting a new PC soon, I might actually enjoy it.
Though I tend to play on low-low-low usually anyway to optimize gameplay unless I'm 100% certain it will not effect it in any shape or form.