PDA

View Full Version : Political Ideology of Assassin's Creede

entity777
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
First off, let me say that Assassin's Creede II and Brotherhood are brilliant, but I have a criticism.

Most gamers probably don't care about this subject, but I think Ubisoft is hypocritical when it tries to portray itself as being a diverse and tolerant organization when, at the beginning of Assassin's Creede, there is a display notifying the player that the makers of the game are diverse with respect to cultures and religions, but there is no diversity of political ideology in Ubisoft's games. The games are clearly spun to the Left, meaning Liberal or "Progressive" thought is promoted, but any other ideology is not. It looks like diversity is promoted at Ubisoft as long as it's not diversity with respect to political ideology.

entity777
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
First off, let me say that Assassin's Creede II and Brotherhood are brilliant, but I have a criticism.

Most gamers probably don't care about this subject, but I think Ubisoft is hypocritical when it tries to portray itself as being a diverse and tolerant organization when, at the beginning of Assassin's Creede, there is a display notifying the player that the makers of the game are diverse with respect to cultures and religions, but there is no diversity of political ideology in Ubisoft's games. The games are clearly spun to the Left, meaning Liberal or "Progressive" thought is promoted, but any other ideology is not. It looks like diversity is promoted at Ubisoft as long as it's not diversity with respect to political ideology.

mojsarn
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I dont think their intention was to take a stand in any political camp, the purpose of that notice is to tell gamers that thay do not look down on any religion or culture, it dosent say anything about their political beliefs.
And as I said, I dont think the devs wanted the game to strive for liberalism, or any other political camp. Care to point out how and where the game shows its political beliefs?

magesupermaster
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Ubisoft does say that the games were designed and developed by a 'multicultural team of different beliefs and religions'.
They point this out to the religious audience that happen to play the games too.
They do this because the AC games contain content that can be viewed as anti-religion, IE: Jesus was a fraud, religion is a lie and etc...

I don't know why you saw Ubisoft as hypocritical.

johnums
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
It's a conspiracy game so in all fairness how would right wing political thought be in it?!?

kriegerdesgottes
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I do care about this subject actually and it's the one single thing I don't like about assassin's creed is that it like many other things nowadays is very liberal at times by saying that a man is limited by morality and nothing is true so everything is permitted which is a very sad/sick/selfish/ignorant and liberal way to think. last time I brought this up in a thread I got reamed by all the liberals about how stupid I was and then they proceeded to talk about drug use while I lost a little bit more hope for humanity.

ThaWhistle
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I do care about this subject actually and it's the one single thing I don't like about assassin's creed is that it like many other things nowadays is very liberal at times by saying that a man is limited by morality and nothing is true so everything is permitted which is a very sad/sick/selfish/ignorant and liberal way to think. last time I brought this up in a thread I got reamed by all the liberals about how stupid I was and then they proceeded to talk about drug use while I lost a little bit more hope for humanity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not quite sure if you understand liberal and conservative beliefs that well. The line of nothing being true and everything being permitted is completely unrelated to any political group.

It is vague enough that any group could rightly apply it to anything.

given the game is entirely a work of fiction, and doesn't really portray much of the history it takes place in with great accuracy, it would take a poor judgement to take anything in this game beyond entertainment. It could be a jumping board into religious, political or historical discussion, but it's not that. its a video game.

BK-110
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
The philosophical and political aspects are some of my favorite aspects about the series. I like how the Assassins are all about skepticism, education and freedom of expression. But yes, the series seems to promote a certain view, not that I mind, since I highly approve of said view.

Drakonous505
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
-Templardar goes off-

Valentorg
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I do care about this subject actually and it's the one single thing I don't like about assassin's creed is that it like many other things nowadays is very liberal at times by saying that a man is limited by morality and nothing is true so everything is permitted which is a very sad/sick/selfish/ignorant and liberal way to think. last time I brought this up in a thread I got reamed by all the liberals about how stupid I was and then they proceeded to talk about drug use while I lost a little bit more hope for humanity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure where you're getting your definition of liberal from that would make you think that that's a liberal way to think but that line is historically accurate to that particular group of assassins in Assassin's Creed 1, and wasn't really used in the game in the way you seem to think it was.

E-Zekiel
01-04-2011, 03:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The games are clearly spun to the Left, meaning Liberal or "Progressive" thought is promoted, but any other ideology is not. It looks like diversity is promoted at Ubisoft as long as it's not diversity with respect to political ideology. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a game where on one side we have those that want peace through control and obedience, on the other they want peace through freedom and learning.

That you would take the Assassins' views as liberal and (I assume) those that they kill as conservative... Honestly, that speaks for itself.

I will simply say that I agree with the overall message of the series.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drakonous505:
-Templardar goes off- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+100!!

thementor579
11-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Let me start off by saying that I may be a little late to the party, but this really interests me, so I have to make my position known.
I tend to think that the Assassins over all have a highly Libertarian view. Altair himself even said that men should be allowed to do as they please without harming those around them. I took the message of Assassins Creed to attack the issues that arise from Governments AND Corporations getting to much power. If we look at the canon, we find that most proponents of big government such as Joseph Stalin and Hitler are mentioned to be Templar puppets as well as Bush. Heck, they even claimed that FDR was a Templar, so it seems pretty balanced.

Also, lets not forget that the fact that you can buy almost every shop in the entirety of the game kinda promotes a Capitalist ideology, so Ezio must have been a capitalist in some way.

The Assassins represent freedom and true capitalism, were as Templars promote crony capitalism, and big government control.

Just my two-cents. :)

MasterAssasin84
11-25-2012, 04:17 PM
This is am interesting topic because i actualy though that myself , is Assassins Creed promoting Left Wing Ideoligy but if you look at the Title screen it does say the game has been developed by people from all colours and Creeds so that nailed that one in the head.

But i will say that when you look at people like David Cameron, Barack Obama they all seem to be on the seem to be promoting freedom as like the Assassins but they are also Aligning them selves with Nazi style regimes like the Europen Union who are nothing more than Facists and seek to put everyone under one banner which as the mentor stated is crony capitalism.

So infact the Assassins Creed is not doctrine at all , but the Assassins methods to assertain freedom do suggest otherwise which is quite ironic in the sense that Desmond caused the very thing the Assassins are fighting against.

ProdiGurl
11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have specific examples of what's Liberal in the games? I vaguely remember one or 2 incidents that grated against my viewpoints in previous games but don't recall what they were.

MasterAssasin84
11-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have specific examples of what's Liberal in the games? I vaguely remember one or 2 incidents that grated against my viewpoints in previous games but don't
recall what they were.

Think back to Assassins Creed 2 - Bonfire of the Vanities ! do you remember Ezio making that little speech after ending savaronola ? he implies that no one should be forced to live their lives as a sheep rather a shepeard of their own destiny , Ezio was also very quick mock the medici during that speech to so i think Ezio was more of a free spirit rather than liberal so he was encouraging the people of firenze to do the same.

Will_Lucky
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes I've certainly noticed a Political Element from the games the Assassins being Liberal/Libertarian and the Templar Conservative/Reactionary always one of the things I've enjoyed about the game.

Kaschra
11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
But i will say that when you look at people like David Cameron, Barack Obama they all seem to be on the seem to be promoting freedom as like the Assassins but they are also Aligning them selves with Nazi style regimes like the Europen Union who are nothing more than Facists and seek to put everyone under one banner which as the mentor stated is crony capitalism.

I can only facepalm, that is all.

Will_Lucky
11-25-2012, 06:10 PM

It wasn't worth responding to at all.....honestly should have just ignored that one.

Rabid-Ross
11-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Ah but they do promote right wing, as the templars, the templars arent really the bad guys, just the enemies of the guys that we play. its portrayed in a way that no one side is the 'good' side

Partee Garcia
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Haha. The Assassins are not political, by definition. They support the philosophy of Liberty amongst all individuals and persons; which requires no man-made institution, such as governments to gain favor for, politically. Liberty is a philosophy that, by nature, cannot be attained via politics and government because they are a source to coerce action via force and violence and demand others live the same, whether by monarchy, oligarchy or democracy/republics. This is why the Assassins fight these kinds of forces, because by definition they are against the very nature of what life lives by. Murray N. Rothbard would be proud of the secret society of the Assassins in the Assassin's Creed series.

LightRey
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Could people please stop breaking the rules by arguing politics?

Also, for those that haven't noticed, this thread was necro'd.

Jexx21
11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
what's creede?

Partee Garcia
11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
The Assassins support this:

The Philosophy of Liberty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I

And this concept, called Liberty, is essentially 'anti-politics.'

LightRey
11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
The Assassins support this:

The Philosophy of Liberty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I

And this concept, called Liberty, is essentially 'anti-politics.'
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. You're confusing 'liberty' with what the Assassins call 'freedom'. What the Assassins are referring to is in essence really nothing more than free will. This somewhat resembles a Kantian view on ethics.

Will_Lucky
11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. You're confusing 'liberty' with what the Assassins call 'freedom'. What the Assassins are referring to is in essence really nothing more than free will. This somewhat resembles a Kantian view on ethics.

Yet when you have events such as the Assassins supporting a candidate in the 2000 election you have a direct influence on Politics. Same goes for the Russian Revolution. The Assassins very much act Politically, now sure they do so for the implementation of Free Will but they have to act within Politics especially by the 20/21st century in order to get that done.

Baked_Cookies
11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Lets not make this about politics PLEASE. Politics dont belong on an AC forum. Go to USA Today or something if you want political chat

LightRey
11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Yet when you have events such as the Assassins supporting a candidate in the 2000 election you have a direct influence on Politics. Same goes for the Russian Revolution. The Assassins very much act Politically, now sure they do so for the implementation of Free Will but they have to act within Politics especially by the 20/21st century in order to get that done.
Naturally. I'm not denying they are not involved in politics, but they only are in order to guide humanity to the freedom they desire and to prevent the Templars from doing the exact opposite.

MasterAssasin84
11-25-2012, 08:52 PM

Without getting political and I am going to say this once , us English do not want anything to do with the EU we have a prime minister who knows what to do but is too sscared to pull it off the EU is a political failure and yes I will compare to Nazi Germany not the Germany we have today because a large amount of German people like us Brits want the EU to collapes but there are splinter fractions who trying to create federation which is an epic to say the least .

David Cameron and Barack Obama praise they are commited to saving the EU but we all know its a wast of time and money.

ShrunkLawyer0
11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
stop with the politics please