PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dell : "It's Definitely Sucking"

kajr
06-08-2006, 07:15 AM
My favorite line from the Vee-Dub commercials is when the huge hood air intake on his pimped out rice burner is briefly discussed:

VW Scientist: "What does this do?"
Mike: "It sucks in air"
VW Lady: "It's definitely sucking"

Well, ladies and germs that is exactly what I now think of Dell... It's definitely SUCKING. I used to give Dell two thumbs up back in the early 2000s, but let me tell you, my tune has changed.

I have purchased four computers from Dell over the past two months, a gaming rig for me, and three of their Dimension B110 specials for the kids and wife. I got the B110s for around $200 each, two of them off refurb. They are great computers, and I upgraded the kids to 1GB memory, 160GB hard drives, and 19-inch flat panels. They are "styling".

Anyways, Dell sucks. No two ways around it. They apparently moved their whole customer service team offshore to Mangladesh or India or somewhere. I call for a question and get bounced around and put down regularly. What a waste of a good company. I guess they got too big for their britches.

So if I were you, don't buy Dell (or Gateway, but that is a whole 'nuther story). It's DEFINITELY sucking.

Vee-Dub in the House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yug4d__Ya5I&search=VW)

kajr
06-08-2006, 07:15 AM
My favorite line from the Vee-Dub commercials is when the huge hood air intake on his pimped out rice burner is briefly discussed:

Well, ladies and germs that is exactly what I now think of Dell... It's definitely SUCKING. I used to give Dell two thumbs up back in the early 2000s, but let me tell you, my tune has changed.

I have purchased four computers from Dell over the past two months, a gaming rig for me, and three of their Dimension B110 specials for the kids and wife. I got the B110s for around $200 each, two of them off refurb. They are great computers, and I upgraded the kids to 1GB memory, 160GB hard drives, and 19-inch flat panels. They are "styling".

Anyways, Dell sucks. No two ways around it. They apparently moved their whole customer service team offshore to Mangladesh or India or somewhere. I call for a question and get bounced around and put down regularly. What a waste of a good company. I guess they got too big for their britches.

So if I were you, don't buy Dell (or Gateway, but that is a whole 'nuther story). It's DEFINITELY sucking.

Vee-Dub in the House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yug4d__Ya5I&search=VW)

danjama
06-08-2006, 07:34 AM
BYO - Build your own.

vocatx
06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

flakwagen
06-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes; learn how to build your own system. You won't regret it! My last pre-built PC was a Dell Dimension P3-600mhz. It was a great computer, built and bought when Dell still had great customer service and great quality. And they're still an OK source of low end systems for non-critical and non-gaming tasks.

But the pre-built system industry in general has evolved into a cutthroat competitive environment. Cutting corners is the only way they can stay in business. Unfortunately that means people who want well built systems for gaming and demanding tasks must look elsewhere for the most part.

Flak

WWMaxGunz
06-08-2006, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kajr:
I got the B110s for around $200 each, two of them off refurb. They are great computers, and I upgraded the kids to 1GB memory, 160GB hard drives, and 19-inch flat panels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You added WHAT to a $200 base machine? Before you run them much longer have a good look at
the power supplies. Are they rated well past any needs with the new hardware you threw on?
Consider not only the Wattage but also the age, those power transistors won't pull heavy
for any appreciable slice of forever. I'll leave the mobo out of it but not the CPU which
may have been OC'ed if you haven't. That's a time thing before bye-bye CPU but it's a time
thing anyway, just normally a long time if the silicon is kept cooler and the dopant doesn't
'migrate'. So maybe you want to check more carefully what you are tacking new parts onto.

You get what you pay for, or less. Back when Dell did 'service' you paid an arm for a PC by
comparison to build your own. And they did fixes to some extent but I never found the deal
worth the price, I could build 2 1/2 of the same for the price back then. That was before
Y2K btw. For the under-40's, a long time before.

Since 1999 or so Dell has shaped up a lot but something had to go or they would have gone out
of business. Get real! You got a working PC for $200 and you want what else with it? If
they are nice you should get a recovery CD.

kajr
06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
You added WHAT to a $200 base machine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The memory and hard drive upgrades were Dell upgrades, I did not do them, I ordered the computers that way. Final price, around $350 each.

slipBall
06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I no longer deal with Dell. They used to be good for entry level, and support, no more. I can strongly recomend a Canada company, and I live in the states. They are very good, workmanship, quality of components, service http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif plus you can design your own
http://www.buydirectpc.com/page-gaming-computer.htm

GreyFox5
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Build your own next time...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/GreyFox5/PC_Mod_with_labels_small.jpg

MB80
06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Dell and alot of other pc "builders" make their money with the reduce to the most necessary. They produce their own mainboards with less features, they build systems for the consumer without knowledge about PC components. If you compare the costs and the features, a BYO system is not really more expensive than a dell.

DIY or BYO is the right way, every modern computer is just a mixture of components which everyone can handle. To build one, you need 1-2 hours of time, with experience maybe 30min, it's just thighten some screws. If there's fear to build your own, there are alot of pictured manuals available via www. Also the cpu manufacturers (Amd/Intel) have their own tips "how to build your own". Support is not really needed if you know "how to", the direct support by component producers are mostly fast.

Akronnick
06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Dood, you got a Dell? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Seriously, build your own. Twice the machine for half the price, and it just tastes better!!!

huggy87
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Apparently alienware used to be really good. Then they got big. Then they sucked. Then they got bought by dell. It is the circle of corporate life. I can't wait for some japanese or chinese or indian company to come along and offer good computers which outshine ours. It's bound to happen much like the auto industry of the 70's.

lbhskier37
06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I have always felt Dells were terrible, mainly from experience working with them at work and school. The XPS line has always seemed like a bunch of overpriced garbage too me especially. Recently however I've seen reviews showing me that Dell might be changing their tune at least in the XPS line. The new XPS systems now use all standard parts and have a very stylish case. Best of all you can get XPS systems with only the OS installed (bloatware has been my main problem with Dell in the past). Their tech support is also completely separate from the horrible consumer tech support, much like their corporate tech support which I have heard is top notch (it would have to be because corporate customers don't pay premium prices for the servers, they pay for the service). I am starting to think that when BoB comes out my next computer will be a Conroe equiped XPS. It might cost a bit more than doing it myself, but through work I can get 12% off in addition to whatever deal dell is running. Plus even if it costs a bit more, I am now in a position where my time is worth a bit more to me. When I was in college spending 8 hours building and diagnosing a computer were fun, but now working 9 hour days with 2 hour round trip commutes, time is precious. Just my $.02 though.

GH_Klingstroem
06-08-2006, 03:50 PM
what about this one?

"The only time Microsoft will make something that DOESNT suck is when they make a vaccum cleaner..."

cam1936
06-08-2006, 04:52 PM
since were on this topic, im purchaseing a laptop before then end of summer for school. I have no experince whatsoever im building a computer so any suggestions

georgeo76
06-08-2006, 05:46 PM
For high-end computers Dell is not a good value, but if your looking to get into a system for the least amount of money, they cannot be beaten.

Bearcat99
06-08-2006, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
BYO - Build your own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the only way to go.... and the rewards are priceless.. I got sick of hearing that sigh everytime i would call up my then tech guru... I said "Screw this.... Im learning to do this myself.... " and that was it... It will cost you (you will make mistakes... or bad decisions.. consider it tuition...) but it is well worth the time effort and cash to build your own.. then you know whats in it ... A lot of ready built PCs use the cheapest stuff available....

fordfan25
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kajr:

Vee-Dub in the House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yug4d__Ya5I&search=VW) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yea my first PC was a dell about 4 years ago. it was a solid built rig and at the time there tech suport was GREAT,but about a year or two after i bought it was when thay "out sourced" to indea and let me tell you that tech support SUX badly and is the main resone i did not by my next from them but built my own. comeing hear and posting in comunity help is FAR FAR better than the crapo "help" the new dell techs give and thats even if you can understang WTF thay are saying.
i built my current pc and if i diside to keep PC gameing i will build my next or might get a ibuypower PC but every time anyone ask me i tell them stay far away from dell. my mom currently has my old dell and its still running as good as the day i bought it BUT i wont by another JUST for the out sourceing BS. took jobs away from hard wokeing guys hear in the USA that actualy were good at there job because the high up's got greedy. the guys that are doing the tech now are not only dumb as bricks but half the time rude as well, at least all of them i got.

WTE_Galway
06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Dell are 3vil

even stuff like the powersupply connectors to the motherboard on many models are wired totally differently to everyone else in the world.

fordfan25
06-08-2006, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cam1936:
since were on this topic, im purchaseing a laptop before then end of summer for school. I have no experince whatsoever im building a computer so any suggestions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have HEARD gateway has gotten better but i dont know for sure. look around on newegg.com or maby magPC im not sure if mag sells notbooks "link in my sig" . i would advise yopu unless you are going to use it for gameing save mony by not going over bord on high end stuff. a good cpu and a decent amount of ram and as fast a harddrive you can get is the main forcus IMHO for a non gameing PC a GPU card is good to take load off the CPU and main sytem ram but it does not have to be a 400$ card.

partic_10
06-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I recently looked at buying a new PC for the kiddies. Chose a model form Dell website then got a quote from my friendly PC store to build one with every single component higher spec and it came in cheaper.
Dell - no excuses, never, ever!

WTE_Galway
06-08-2006, 09:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
what about this one?

"The only time Microsoft will make something that DOESNT suck is when they make a vaccum cleaner..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little story http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

At one computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because almost none of the controls would operate the same way as in the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

swambast
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
WTE_Galway, please do your homework before you post such garbage - this is an urban myth! Yea, it's funny, but it's complete B.S. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

WTE_Galway
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swambast:
WTE_Galway, please do your homework before you post such garbage - this is an urban myth! Yea, it's funny, but it's complete B.S. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i do not think any one ever thought it was a genuine press release

woofiedog
06-08-2006, 10:33 PM
WTE_Galway... Wicked! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DHC2Pilot
06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
One of the biggest problems with brand name PC's such as Dell, Gateway, Sony, HP, etc. is that many of them have proprietary video cards and other components which really can't be "upgraded" unless you buy the parts from them. Case in point - many of the small form factor HP's have video cards in them which have a special screw plate custom designed to fit their case. You can't go to the local computer store and buy a high end video card and stick it in. You have to buy whatever upgrade they offer. Also, it is becoming increasingly common for the big manufacturers to use motherboards with lower cost chipsets and memory. I've always felt that two of the most important components in a gaming rig are the motherboard and memory. If they can't handle the throughput the processor and videocard are demanding, the rest of the computer makes no difference. If you have even a little bit of experience putting things together, give building your own PC a try. Read up on the components and which are compatible with each other. Then price it out and compare what you get to what the big guys offer. You always come out ahead.

Also, the big guys load all this multimedia **** on PC's today that suck your memory resources out the window. Picture show software, photo editing, movie software, blah blah blah. For the people who are gamers, and most importantly flight simmers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif what you need is an operating system with drivers. That's it. End of story. If you want a business PC, buy another cheaper unit and load your office apps on it. Multimedia lovers would have their stuff on a separate unit also.

Now, for those who are hot for laptops (and I personally can't understand who would be - laptops suck), you are pretty much bound to whatever the big guys offer. There are no build-it-yourself laptop parts out there. Maybe some day, but as of right now you're stuck.

Bottom line: Build your own. If you don't know how, learn. You'll save money and headaches down the road.

Worf101
06-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Dell Pheh!!!

Not even in the running for worst over the counter/pre-made computer. A few years back there was this company called "Packard Bell", more affectionally called "Crapass Hell" or numerous other alias. Packard Bell made, without one shred of doubt, the worst pieces of floating stool ever to bear the moniker of "a personal computer".

At least Dell outsourced their tech support and you can kinda understand why it went down P.B. had no such excuse, they just didn't give a chit. They'd hang up on you disconnect after leaving you on hold for hours, on your dime. They'd talk down to you and demean you cause you weren't smart enough to build one on your own. These kids were laughing at you and really didn't care if you knew it or not.

They had your money and whatever happened after that was YOUR problem. Bad as Dell is, it'll never be that bad.

Da Worfster

Deedsundone
06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I find my Dell Dimension 8200 very good.Have never had any trouble with it and it runs without hazzle on the hottest summer with its stock fans.(It has a massive heatsink fitted to the proccesor with is own enclose airduct and 80mm fan in the case)I have changed videocards (non Dell brands) without any problems too,so I do not find the Dell computer bad.I can´t tell how the support is myself to the fact I have never needed them.

I don´t say it has it flaws (PSU change can be a real hazzle I´ve heard) and I actually looking into to build my next computer myself......or maybe get a XPS 600 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif