PDA

View Full Version : SOW-Bob: A labour of love!

Skoshi Tiger
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Just found an article regarding the profitability of Computer games.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/129414,only-one-in-fiv...a-decent-profit.aspx (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/129414,only-one-in-five-video-games-make-a-decent-profit.aspx)

It seems that only about 20% make a decent profit.

About 60% of the development cost (time?) is spent on "redesigning aspects of a game until deemed ready for action" I asume that SOW is in this stage of development.

In a niche market like WWII Combat flight sims, we need to realise that developers like Oleg are doing their work more for the love and personal interest of the genre rather than putting the spondoolies in their pockets!

The article also states:
"Perhaps, however, in times of economic turmoil, developers would do better to turn their attention more to the task of making games profitable, rather than face a possible game over."

One of the things that keeps me coming back to sims like IL2 is the attention to detail and support given by the developers. Thankfully Oleg has avoided this "get the money and run!" attitude.

Keep up the good work Oleg and Co! Your efforts are appreciated. I hope all is going smoothly.

Skoshi Tiger
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Just found an article regarding the profitability of Computer games.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/129414,only-one-in-fiv...a-decent-profit.aspx (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/129414,only-one-in-five-video-games-make-a-decent-profit.aspx)

It seems that only about 20% make a decent profit.

About 60% of the development cost (time?) is spent on "redesigning aspects of a game until deemed ready for action" I asume that SOW is in this stage of development.

In a niche market like WWII Combat flight sims, we need to realise that developers like Oleg are doing their work more for the love and personal interest of the genre rather than putting the spondoolies in their pockets!

The article also states:
"Perhaps, however, in times of economic turmoil, developers would do better to turn their attention more to the task of making games profitable, rather than face a possible game over."

One of the things that keeps me coming back to sims like IL2 is the attention to detail and support given by the developers. Thankfully Oleg has avoided this "get the money and run!" attitude.

Keep up the good work Oleg and Co! Your efforts are appreciated. I hope all is going smoothly.

WTE_Galway
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
hmmm ...

are you saying the people that claim:

"I paid nearly 20 bucks for Il2 five years ago and therefore Oleg owes me big time and he better get SOW out to me right now "

are being a touch unreasonable ????

Skoshi Tiger
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Just a tad! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Falcke
11-25-2008, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Perhaps, however, in times of economic turmoil, developers would do better to turn their attention more to the task of making games profitable, rather than face a possible game over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting last line. So apparently it's best to release buggy and unfinished games if you want to make more people buy it?

This can't possibly be written by a professional reporter.

WTE_Galway
11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Falcke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Perhaps, however, in times of economic turmoil, developers would do better to turn their attention more to the task of making games profitable, rather than face a possible game over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting last line. So apparently it's best to release buggy and unfinished games if you want to make more people buy it?

This can't possibly be written by a professional reporter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe they are referring more to the sort of trend we see with TV where trashy soaps and reality shows are more profitable than quality productions.

This trend certainly occurred in RPG's where the move has been towards dumbed down choices and mouse button thrashing as standard combat technique. Older RPG's that required the user to learn actual combat skills using specific keys to block and jab etc and make informed choices about character development did not sell well compared to games where you just hit something till it dies.

SlowBurn68
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Why do you think it's taking so long. SoW won't make ant money so why bust your arse to get it done.

crucislancer
11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Falcke:

It could also mean focusing on games that sell by the boatload rather then niche games.

Games like IL-2 certainly don't make the kind of money that WoW or GTA rake in.

It's sad considering that flight sims aren't nearly as popular as they were nearly a decade ago, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if most barely broke even.

julian265
11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
It seems to me that some games are being pushed out too soon.

Crysis had some basic, basic bugs that would have been hard to miss, and Far Cry 2... Where do I start? Non working multiplayer, inability to assign custom keys in multiplayer (fixed), the character becoming stuck, copy-and-paste missions, copy-and-paste graphical sequences, saved game corruption (also in crysis), missions that can't be finished because sequenced objectives don't appear, illogical re-spawn of guards, illogical weapon jamming (great idea, but why does every picked up weapon jam within a few shots, but work perfectly for the enemy???)

Too many mistakes/bugs = unhappy customers. Had I known of these bugs earlier, I wouldn't have bought FC2. But hey, they predicted that, and figured that they'd still sell almost as many copies as they would a finished (or as close as possible) game.

Divine-Wind
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM

I bet whoever wrote this works for EA Games. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Crikey2008
11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Oleg should be content as a pig in mud. With the coming worldwide recession people will not be going out as much but staying home shooting things down in frustration.

Just a thought to leave you with.

Ernst_Rohr
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
/rant on

That is EXACTLY the kind of attitude that has killed the music business and is doing a good job of killing published fiction.

I seriously wish that collectively people would wake the hell up and remove the damn bean counting accounting weasels from positions of authority in entertainment. ANY game that does well is immediately followed with sequels and a host of me-too imitations from the competition.

Same thing with films, music, books, and any other form of media.

Creativity is pretty much dead in mainstream media, which is one of the reasons that gaming makes more money that they do now. So of course the solution is to "commoditize" gaming like they did everything else.

IL-2 has lasted this long because of the attention to detail and Maddox games commitment to it. Name any "successful" EA game that can show the same life span.

/rant off

crucislancer
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
/rant on

That is EXACTLY the kind of attitude that has killed the music business and is doing a good job of killing published fiction.

I seriously wish that collectively people would wake the hell up and remove the damn bean counting accounting weasels from positions of authority in entertainment. ANY game that does well is immediately followed with sequels and a host of me-too imitations from the competition.

Creativity is pretty much dead in mainstream media, which is one of the reasons that gaming makes more money that they do now. So of course the solution is to "commoditize" gaming like they did everything else.

IL-2 has lasted this long because of the attention to detail and Maddox games commitment to it. Name any "successful" EA game that can show the same life span.

/rant off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Well said.

Crazy_Goanna
11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I fully agree and cannot think of any games that have been supported,had add-ons supplied free and have such a large community base with missions and skins freely supplied.

WTE_Galway
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
/rant on

An excellent example of this is the Wizard of the Coast Dungeons and Dragons franchise. With the new marketing driven 4th edition they have abandoned the original Greyhawk setting dating back to 1st edition in favor of a new location hoping to cash in on the popular Drizt books and Never Winter Nights games and changed the rules of the game to basically be a copy of World of Warcraft adapted for live role play.

The consensus from long term players is it will (at least initially) be financially successful ... they will sell a lot of game handbooks ... but most of those handbooks will be sitting unused on a shelf after 3 months.

K_Freddie
11-25-2008, 11:00 PM
When Olegs games arrive on the shelves down here, the shop owner/buyers are oblivious to the value of this product and price is at half the price of the other 'kiddy' games.

SO.. even if Oleg doubles his price, I'll still buy it, as I know I getting a quality product, that will last years.
Today, I cannot say this about any other PC game/sim.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Choctaw111
11-26-2008, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
When Olegs games arrive on the shelves down here, the shop owner/buyers are oblivious to the value of this product and price is at half the price of the other 'kiddy' games.

SO.. even if Oleg doubles his price, I'll still buy it, as I know I getting a quality product, that will last years.
Today, I cannot say this about any other PC game/sim.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. A quality product is always worth more money.
Oleg will go to the end of the earth to bring this project to retailers.
He has to. It is the way he is. He will not leave a project like this unfinished. If for nothing else, he has to complete it for himself. This is another dream he has to fulfill.
Those of us around long enough know Oleg well enough to know this is true.

tsisqua
11-26-2008, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe they are referring more to the sort of trend we see with TV where trashy soaps and reality shows are more profitable than quality productions.

This trend certainly occurred in RPG's where the move has been towards dumbed down choices and mouse button thrashing as standard combat technique. Older RPG's that required the user to learn actual combat skills using specific keys to block and jab etc and make informed choices about character development did not sell well compared to games where you just hit something till it dies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, Galway . . .
I think that adult games/sims should perhaps cost (within reason) more than games for kids so that the developers might make enough from it to keep it alive for awhile.

The IL2 series never would have lasted this long if the developers were as used to large profits as developers are here in the Western world. 1C simply wanted to turn out their art, and make a decent living for their families and theirselves. That's the difference between "kiche" art (i.e. black velvet Elvis paintings that were cranked out by the hundreds of thousands), and something a Renoir might turn out (which you can be sure would be a one-of-kind quality artwork).

Sadly, the true artists never do well until after they are dead.

BTW, anyone remember the ad hype before CFS3 came out? Yep, it was a black velvet Elvis Painting, and may be the one single largest reason that combat flight sims aren't anywhere near as popular as the were 10 years ago. The good that came from it was all due to third party developers . . . uh, yeah . . . the art-lover had to finish the expensive painting for himself.

Tsisqua

Daiichidoku
11-26-2008, 09:26 AM
pft

il2 is the only show in town, remember that

had it the competition that "mainstream" games have, attitudes would be radically different around here...

LEXX_Luthor
11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Someday, some dev will figure it out and put a Draken or B-70 on the box cover, and out sell all those cut-n-paste games with F-22 Rapper on the box.

someday...oh yae! opp opp opp http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Smileys/thumbs.gif
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/Lexx_Luthor/Cockpits/J-35--4.jpg

buddye1
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
At this stage of development Oleg is really hurting and he has many problems (technical,money,people,scope, performance,inflation, bad credit market,bad times,etc)just like anyone would have managing a project of the scope of SOW during these hard times.

He will make the best decisions he can to complete the project and deliver a product. He will take some short cuts and he will make some mistakes but his final product will be outstanding as that is his style and track record.

To make a good profit and keep his business going strong, Oleg will depend on us his customers to purchase not only SOW but all the follow-on products that he will produce (follow-on products are cheaper, take less time, and have lower risk) from his base SOW engine.

I think/bet his current business plan/model projects not only his base SOW sales but also his follow-on sales over the next 5-6 years which is the only way (IMHO) to show a long term profit these days for a fight sim project.

My comments are based on my 25 years experience as a software EXE with a major software company and my work with the BDG on BOBII over the last 5 years.

M_Gunz
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Good thread with great start! Kudos!

HayateAce
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much misunderstanding about marketing going on here, but the statement above is right on.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WTE_Galway
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Name any "successful" EA game that can show the same life span.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummh ,,,

The Sims ???

julian265
11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
/rant on

+1

Chivas
11-26-2008, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buddye1:
At this stage of development Oleg is really hurting and he has many problems (technical,money,people,scope, performance,inflation, bad credit market,bad times,etc)just like anyone would have managing a project of the scope of SOW during these hard times.

He will make the best decisions he can to complete the project and deliver a product. He will take some short cuts and he will make some mistakes but his final product will be outstanding as that is his style and track record.

To make a good profit and keep his business going strong, Oleg will depend on us his customers to purchase not only SOW but all the follow-on products that he will produce (follow-on products are cheaper, take less time, and have lower risk) from his base SOW engine.

I think/bet his current business plan/model projects not only his base SOW sales but also his follow-on sales over the next 5-6 years which is the only way (IMHO) to show a long term profit these days for a fight sim project.

My comments are based on my 25 years experience as a software EXE with a major software company and my work with the BDG on BOBII over the last 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Buddye

I agree with alot of things your saying but don't think his problems are bad as your suggesting. They have sold IL-2, AEP, FB, Pacific Fighters, PE-2, Manchuria?, and IL-2 1946 in the last 7 years. The lastest just last year.

He will have many technical problems getting all the features he wants into his cinematic sim with playable frame rates. He may have to cut back on some features in the first addition and add them to later additions as they're refined and computer power increases.

I have little doubt we will see BOB SOW, finished or unfinished, but I'm apprehensive about further additions to the series if sales are off due to piracy and appathy. So if your waiting for the P51 or FW190 before buying into the series, it may behove you to still buy BOB. Even if he releases an unfinished sim for an injection of needed cash, you know he will finish it if at all possible.

This sim is a labour of love for Oleg and team...something you very seldom see from mainstream developers.

~Salute~
Chivas

Player_43
11-26-2008, 11:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
/rant on

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Well said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree.

Just compare CFS4 (=commercial microsoft bull ****) and IL2.

... we don't even talk about CFS4 now and IL2 is still on the top of WWII air simulations.

Xiolablu3
11-27-2008, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
pft

il2 is the only show in town, remember that

had it the competition that "mainstream" games have, attitudes would be radically different around here... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CFS3 was released around the same time by one of the largest companies in the world and that could not compete with IL2.

CFS3 vs IL2 is a perfect example of what people are talking about here. Money Product vs Labour of Love.

Where is the support and updates for CFS3 as Oleg has given for IL2?

M_Gunz
11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
CFS4?

na85
11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Name any "successful" EA game that can show the same life span.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummh ,,,

The Sims ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually The Sims was made by Maxis, before they were bought out by EA.

EA ruins good franchises. Look what they did to Westwood.

crucislancer
11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
EA ruins good franchises. Look what they did to Westwood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now they do, that's true. In the past, they were a pretty decent publisher, IMHO. They published the Jane's combat sims, for instance.

Maj_Solo
12-06-2008, 12:33 AM
SOW might make a hell of a lot of money. If it is robust and the anti-piracy-copy-protection software works then SOW will make monet over time.

I remember I started playing EAW on-line ages ago. WWII sims are really fun and exciting and should be more easily to get into than modern fighter jet sims like LockOn or F4.

I only played IL2 for a short period after which I thought (dispite good graphics) it was ovehyped and false, I went on to playing LockOn only.

Oleg changed the flight models after release several times, sometimes cause the community cried ...... what the hell .... what dies that tell of Oleg and crew, they didn't get the FM right???

Now what? We have a new sim on the way SOW:BOB, I hope he get the FMs right. Cause I am a simmer. (I do play CS every night for 3 hours or more) but I am still a simmer.

If the product is stable, FMs correct, then I can not see how it can not be a smash hit drawing huge numbers of new players into the sim market.

Back then we were playing over 56K telephone lines.

These days I have a 40Mb synchronous down and up line.

Back then there was more people online than today.

I whish for and it is not impossible that if Oleg does it right we will have a revival.......

There will be huge battles over the channel and various kinds of competitions including air races and aerobatics ....

If SOW:BOB does not do it then no one else will and it really is "game over" for a long time.

We thought and feel we are in a kind of "sim-winter", but if SOW:BOB does not make it we will enter a new ICE-AGE or NUCLEAR-WINTER ... the only products available will be those made for 10-year olds, not made for 40 year old sim-veterans.

----

And yes EA ruins everything, after they take over companies those companies spirits die.....

tagTaken2
12-06-2008, 02:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:

I have little doubt we will see BOB SOW, finished or unfinished, but I'm apprehensive about further additions to the series if sales are off due to piracy and appathy. So if your waiting for the P51 or FW190 before buying into the series, it may behove you to still buy BOB. Even if he releases an unfinished sim for an injection of needed cash, you know he will finish it if at all possible.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.

It irritates me when I read comments like, BoB=BoBoring. Even if you don't give a toss about this theatre, if you don't buy it you may not get another.

WTE_Galway
12-06-2008, 08:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tagTaken2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.

It irritates me when I read comments like, BoB=BoBoring. Even if you don't give a toss about this theatre, if you don't buy it you may not get another. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of the historical date a sim is first released for, the pressure is always on to move flight sims forward in time rather than backwards, so its kind of a shame they didn't start with SCW.

That said, the biggest issue long term will be whether SOW (being a totally new sim) bypasses the legal problems currently preventing adding new American planes to IL2. Whether you like it or not SOW without American aircraft will have a limited appeal.