PDA

View Full Version : Guages & Speedbars

MAILMAN------
02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
USAAF planes used miles per hour and USN & USMC planes used knots per hour for speed, feet for altitude. British aircraft used the same measurement I think, but I certainly would not bet my house on it.

Are there any plans to make the gage measurements (ctrl + F1) convetible like the speedbar, since more and more hosts of online games are disabling the speedbar. Don't see the reason for disabling the feature since the gages on the cockpit dash are readible only in zoom and when in zoom you can't focus in on some of the gages such as the speed indicator or fuel gage on the F4U Corsair. This being the case I have to rely on the speed bar to tell my indicated airspeed and altitude. If it is disabled it is a uneducated guess as to what speed I am at and at what altitude I am flying.
I accepted this setup with the original IL2 since it was Russian and German Planes and I feel it would be a more accurate representation in a this simulator. I think it would only better the game if the US measurements were the default setups of the US planes.
The wheel would not have to be reinvented because this has been done in other Flight Sims. TrackIr looks like it is the only way to focus on individual gages and make this posting moot, but I am not ready to fork out that kind of money.

Tully__
02-02-2005, 03:13 AM
No plans for that change have been announced.

BTW, knots are nautical miles per hour, a speed. Knots per hour is nautical miles per hour per hour which is an acceleration. There is no need to add "per hour" after knots when you are talking about speed.

ElAurens
02-02-2005, 05:06 AM
You want more realism for the wonder woman view?

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/lol_2.gif

DmdSeeker
02-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Is there anyway to change the speed bar defaults? Mine always starts in KM/H; and I'd like it to default to MPH.

Also; in one Spit campaign, the sped bar was degrees only; no spped or alt was displayed. I liked that; but I've no idea how I did it; any clues?

carguy_
02-02-2005, 05:46 AM
I thought default speedbar figures are meant for particular aircraft.When I fly Hurri it defaults to mph/ft.

MAILMAN------
02-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Well Tully not everyone knows that (retired Navy btw submarines) so I tried to frame it so there would be no misunderstanding of what I was talking about. Any way to send suggestions to the game maker? I haven't found any way to do that or I would have sent it there.

ElAurens I am not looking to increase or decrease the Realism. I was merely pointing out that in some online games the speed bar is being disabled to increase the realism, yet the "wonder woman view" (great description btw) is left enabled, but you can't cycle through Km/hr, knots or MPH. I used my mouse to find the speed indicator, but the gage is also metric.

I know many of the flight sims actually take into account the various languages around the world (you can see it usually in the installation or subsequent update patches) and give the consumer the option to change to their language and indications and was hoping that maybe one of the programmers might stumble across a posting like this and at least think about it. There is really no nomenclature on performace that I have found in this game so I have to rely on actual plane specs. and what other flight sim plane models in order to fly with some competance online and it is more difficult when you are trying to figure out the conversion from metric to standard measurement.

MAILMAN------
02-02-2005, 05:58 AM
DmdSeeker
You have to go into controls and map a key or button to cycle through. I selected the combination tab + s to cycle the speed bar. When the speed bar is available I cycle to knots since I fly the Corsair almost exclusivley. Are you the Seeker from Air Warrior and the Dmd from AH?

carguy_

The default is metric. You can cycle through to what your plane used in offline play and also on multiplayer if the host leaves it enabled.

Tallyho1961
02-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Anybody notice that carguy (see above) said that when he selects a Hurricane, the speed bar defaults to Imperial? Can this be true?

DmdSeeker
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi Mailman; yep; that's me :-)

I've got a key mapped for the speed bar; and it works OK; it's just that every flight the speed bar starts in Metric; and I'd rather it defaulted to Imperial :-)

Tully__
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
For suggestions to the game maker, post them in the Oleg's Ready Room forum, that's what it's there for.

MAILMAN------
02-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I only have to adjust the speed bar for the first flight in a room. It stays at my selection until I hit the key again. I went by -)MLM in Air Warrior and would fly with your mates back when I had a subscription to AH some 6 months ago. It may not have been as pretty as all the new sims, but I still miss AW.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
Hi Mailman; yep; that's me :-)

I've got a key mapped for the speed bar; and it works OK; it's just that every flight the speed bar starts in Metric; and I'd rather it defaulted to Imperial :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

marcocomparato
02-04-2005, 09:57 AM
its kind of funny for me. I got my VFR flying license at a young age here in the States. (using of course imperial measurements. god what a name for our silly system)

however, IL2 was my first flight sim that i took seriously (had CFS2 for a while, but it kind of a joke in DirecX) and now, all my flight calculations and comfort is in metric measurement. Im even flying our new U.S. craft with the metric speedbar to know my stall-speeds and stuff.

well Oleg, thanks for exposing me to the international standard of measurement instead of the seperatist system we use here.

lucas_valentine
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcocomparato:
its kind of funny for me. I got my VFR flying license at a young age here in the States. (using of course imperial measurements. god what a name for our silly system)

however, IL2 was my first flight sim that i took seriously (had CFS2 for a while, but it kind of a joke in DirecX) and now, all my flight calculations and comfort is in metric measurement. Im even flying our new U.S. craft with the metric speedbar to know my stall-speeds and stuff.

well Oleg, thanks for exposing me to the international standard of measurement instead of the seperatist system we use here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey squire, don't be too harsh on the wonderful Imperial System. Here in the UK we use it for everything. I have never used anything else and I'm proud to use my feet and inches, pounds and stone, CWT and all the rest on the crazy-arsed measurements! Metric is the creation of a crazy Frenchman, Napoleon himself!

MAILMAN------
02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcocomparato:

well Oleg, thanks for exposing me to the international standard of measurement instead of the seperatist system we use here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is wonderful that you got the exposure you wanted. But if I remember correctly in CFS2 you could select standard measurement for the aircraft that use that and metric for the aircraft that used that.

I don't have the time to devote doing the conversions from standard to metric nor do I have the time to take up the aircraft I desire to fly and put them through their paces to see the effects of different airspeeds and altitudes in metric measurement.

As a matter of fact I went to Oleg's Ready Room and read a thread regarding the changes to the Corsair from 3.03 to 3.04. Every single shread of documentation produced from actual US Navy documents pertaing to speed, take off Weight, windspeed needed in relationship to take off length, etc. was in standard measurement not metric. So if accuracy in modeling is the goal of the game's producer then the correct gage measurements should be used in my opinion. If I am flying a German plane then I should be made to learn the flight model in metric measurement, but on the other hand if I am in a US plane I should be made to learn the flight model in standard measurement or nautical for Naval or Marine Corps planes.

I don't know what the joke was in Direct X and CFS2. The aircraft models were very good looking in the high resolutions and didn't have the new paint shine like they were straight out of the paint booth. The snap views worked a heck of a lot better than in IL2 or Pacific Fighters. Pacific Fighters runs better and smoother for me in Direct X than when using Open GL (the mouse in the main menu takes 15 seconds to move.)

Metric may be a more precise way of measureing things, but the only thing my family uses it for is when we are ill and medication is prescribed which is calculated by the doctor and the pharmacist. My lumber is bought by the board-foot, my nails are by the penney, my cement is poured by the yard, my engine sizes are in cu. in. and I buy gas by the gallon and cook using tablespoons, cups and degrees Fahrenheit. More than 30 years ago, back in high school the science and chemistry teachers said that by the twenty first century metric would be the only measurement system in use in the United States. Guess not huh.

My hat is off to you for having the time and the inclination to learn all stuff in metric. Between work and raising a family ranging in college to fifth grade I can't devote the time to learn all this flight sim flight model stuff over again in metric. So I guess I lose out.