PDA

View Full Version : IYHO - What are the most needed new maps??

mandrill7
12-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Kudoes to the guys building the Slovakia, Norway and Burma maps. There are obviously some others which would be nice to have. While everybody has a pet battle or 3, some missing maps mean that entire campaigns cannot be played. In particular...

MTO - how about a generic map of the Libyan coastline with lots of sand, a few small ports and villages, a coastal railway and highway and some spur roads into the interior. If there were 2 maps, 1 could be 80% land and the other 80% water for convoy strikes.

ETO - Western Belgium/ Northern France; Market Garden.

PTO - The Solomons, Rabaul.

I wonder if there's any chance of ever getting these.

mandrill7
12-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Kudoes to the guys building the Slovakia, Norway and Burma maps. There are obviously some others which would be nice to have. While everybody has a pet battle or 3, some missing maps mean that entire campaigns cannot be played. In particular...

MTO - how about a generic map of the Libyan coastline with lots of sand, a few small ports and villages, a coastal railway and highway and some spur roads into the interior. If there were 2 maps, 1 could be 80% land and the other 80% water for convoy strikes.

ETO - Western Belgium/ Northern France; Market Garden.

PTO - The Solomons, Rabaul.

I wonder if there's any chance of ever getting these.

csThor
12-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Well.... let's limit the choices to maps that actually have a chance of getting in.
Which means any MTO and Western Europe map that is not midget sized is out of the question (as Ubisoft has issued a ban on projects they want to do with the BoB engine). That brings me to:

1.) PTO

- Southwest Pacific, most probably several maps because of the size
- New Guinea depicting the area around Lae
- parts of the Phillippines

2.) Europe and Eastern Front:

- Southern Russia (Kiev, Charkov, Rostov etc)
- Poland - East Prussia - Belorussia
- Velikiye Luki - Cholm - Demyansk (area south of Lake Ilmen)

FltLt_HardBall
12-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I vote for a decent slot map. Something that goes from the top of Guadalcanal to Bougainville and on to Rabaul. That would probably require 3 New-Guinea-sized maps unless they were made half-scale.

IMO it's a glaring omission from PF, but of course this is not news to anyone.

ElAurens
12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
The Burma map will be all I am looking for, as long as we get a Ki27.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kwiatos
12-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Im know that these is fancy but it will be cool have map of South UK with France, Belgium and Holand for 1941-43 western front missions. We have many planes from these front SpitfireV, Hurricane, Bf109, Fw190 but we dont have good map.

JG53Frankyboy
12-21-2005, 03:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt there were K27 in that northern Burma map area (around Imphal) that IanBoys is building. most important would be that maddox is accepting Caspars Oscar II pits ! and sure at least an AI controlled Ki-21 . otherwise the Spits, Hurries,Thunderbolts will have nothing to shoot down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Feathered_IV
12-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Rabaul or the Tokyo area would be nicest for me.

Failing that, maybe a huge flat piece of desert with nothing on it.

cbazza
12-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Ploesti would be nice. Great for some B-24/P-38 vs IAR 81/Bf-109 scenarios. Also the 1944 Soviet offensive and even some Romanian vs Luftwaffe combat.

WOLFMondo
12-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Norway, an Italian map, sussex/kent and calais map, Burma.

Since 2 of those are coming I'm happy. The north west germany map was also needed but the Tempest is missing despite 122 Wings resident airbase being on that map.

mandrill7
12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
I would second the Ploesti idea as "cool", particularly if CSThor is correct and there will be no new ETO or MTO maps. If this is right, then we're really just looking at some new South Pacific or CBI maps and more Ostfront.

CBI-wise, maybe China would be a possibility?

Chuck_Older
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt there were K27 in that northern Burma map area (around Imphal) that IanBoys is building. most important would be that maddox is accepting Caspars Oscar II pits ! and sure at least an AI controlled Ki-21 . otherwise the Spits, Hurries,Thunderbolts will have nothing to shoot down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No planes with maps.

But the Fokker will be a worthy stand-in for the Ki-27. Too many guns, but it shouldn't matter

Tater-SW-
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Here's a question, csthor:

say the max area is 150x150km or so.

That's 22,500km^2 land area. Is there any reason why 20,000 square kilometers of land would have to be in a contiguous square?

What about 10,000km^2 separated by a few hundred km of open water, for example?

The NG map is roughly 300x500km. The planned maps then are close to 1/4 the area of the NG map--solid land. A NG sized map of the Slot area would have less land area than that---and it would be almost entirely jungle. Most rivers should even be ignored since most are just a few meters wide. I just checked, and Bouganville alone is less than 1/2 the land area of a new map (~9500km^2 compared to 22,500km^2).

If that wasn;t possible, a generic map with a slot-like array of islands---ideally bigger than 150x150, but almost all water---Something like Online Islands, only more like the real SWPA.

tater

Werwolf1944
12-21-2005, 12:50 PM
A Northeast-Italy map that contains also a part of Balkan would be very nice.

HotelBushranger
12-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Western: An enlargened Finland map, containing big cities, perhaps Helsinki.

Eastern: Dunno anything about Eastern http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Med: Italy, Libya, North Africa

PTO: &gt;PNG&lt;, including Lae, Bouganville, Rabaul, &gt;Morotai&lt;, Burma, &gt;Borneo&lt;, Solomons, proper Gualdacanal, Marianas, Java/DEI. Darwin and Northern Australia!!!

VF-51-Dart
12-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Yep, the Slot in PTO. Can't believe it didn't come with it.

hobnail
12-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Malta Malta Malta Malta Malta Malta Malta Malta

Dengue.ZA
12-23-2005, 08:09 AM
#1 - New Georgia/Vella Lavella to Bougainville;
#2 - Bougainville to Rabaul;
#3 - Lae to Wewak;
#4 - Dobodura/Moresby to Lae;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If that wasn;t possible, a generic map with a slot-like array of islands---ideally bigger than 150x150, but almost all water---Something like Online Islands, only more like the real SWPA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be fine too. If they scaled down the distances and held true to the rough shapes and orientation of the islands, we'd have something entirely workable. Even limited to just the one airfield per island we'd still be able to simulate the spirit of the campaign.

alert_1
12-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I odnt understand taht for ex. channel map is banned! In BoB (white cliffs of Dover) the one big map will be in much higher quality and old gxf of FB coudlnt compete! It's verz weird taht in scuh a complex WWII air war simulation we cant have Chanle map, where 90% of all A2A combats from 1940till mid 1944 occured...

VW-IceFire
12-25-2005, 11:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alert_1:
I odnt understand taht for ex. channel map is banned! In BoB (white cliffs of Dover) the one big map will be in much higher quality and old gxf of FB coudlnt compete! It's verz weird taht in scuh a complex WWII air war simulation we cant have Chanle map, where 90% of all A2A combats from 1940till mid 1944 occured... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Blame the marketing and bean counters who think that this would affect sales. I don't believe it would but they make the calls...we don't.

Maps that are much needed to me are now mostly PTO related. We've got a glorious array of European maps and I'm VERY VERY pleased with the NW Germany map. It is an idea I had posted about several times over the years and I'm very happy to see that someone else had thought of it and was in a position to do something about it. I'm eagerly anticipating the Mossie and Tempest for use on such a map.

In the PTO I'd like to see the Philipeans...where the only major land battles and urban battles were fought. I'd also like to see bits of China and Burma (coming thanks to Ian Boys!). A generic dogfight map representing the Solomons and the island hopping campaign of 1943 would be great.

GerritJ9
12-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I believe a Kiev map is in the works for one of the oft-discussed Russia-only CDs, plus possibly some other USSR maps. For the PTO, we need a Java map (certainly East Java plus Bali so we can fly the CW21 Interceptor), a south Sumatra and West Java map, plus Philippines maps. And the Singapore map could do with some work- where is the RN dockyard, for instance?????

FltLt_HardBall
12-25-2005, 07:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
But the Fokker will be a worthy stand-in for the Ki-27. Too many guns, but it shouldn't matter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We might see a Ki-27 if the Russian add-on makes it to the West.

darkhorizon11
12-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Prague would be nice. The last shots were fired there AFAIK.

gen_hopkins
12-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Is there a map representing the Alueutians?

mandrill7
12-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Looks like there's a developing consensus for the South West Pacific as the top priority map addition(s). http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/huevans/ma0541_1xlg.jpg

FiAW_Vaijy
12-27-2005, 03:02 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Western: An enlargened Finland map, containing big cities, perhaps Helsinki.

Helsinki is in large Finland map allready , both in summer and winter map.

But map of east and north from Ladoga (lake) could be nice addon.

darkhorizon11
12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I'd like an enlarged Normandy map. Not necessarily the more of the channel, but I was hoping at least expanding more east and south.

Same for the Ardenne map, more expansion westard and Northward would be awesome!

LeLv44_Mangrove
12-29-2005, 04:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiAW_Vaijy:
But map of east and north from Ladoga (lake) could be nice addon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second that, the Lake Ladoga area was quite major fighting area in 1941-1944.

1941: Morane-Saulnier 406 & Fokker DXXI vs. I-153, I-16 & Hurricane, some Polikarpov R-5s & U-2s too.

1944: Morane-Saulnier 406 vs. P-39 & La-5

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/8534/karjala4tr.jpg

mandrill7
12-29-2005, 07:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeLv44_Mangrove:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiAW_Vaijy:
But map of east and north from Ladoga (lake) could be nice addon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second that, the Lake Ladoga area was quite major fighting area in 1941-1944. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It certainly was. I wonder if the Leningrad map could be expanded eastwards. That would allow the Luftwaffe to launch raids from their bases southwest of Leningrad.

NerdConnected
12-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Of eastern maps/senarios, these have my interest:

- Slovakia;
- Czech;
- former Silesia (south-west of Poland)
- former Prussia (north-east of Poland)

Mark

LEBillfish
12-30-2005, 08:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Kaytoo/NewGuinea/NGmaps.jpg

tomtheyak
12-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi guys; Billfish cant agree more - the chance to bring the P-38 and -47, Ki-61 & late model oscars into a New Guinea campaign really shouldnt be overlooked; many years of hard conflict happened over and in those areas; seems a shame to miss out!

As a western front preference I'd have to put this at the top of my list:

http://www.europa-pages.net/maps/Nord-Pas-de-Calais.gif

With Hawkinge and Lympne bases available in that tiny snippet of GB in the top left and a whole parade of cross channel ops thu '41 to '44 that in itself this would be a great map to have; even to just past Lille would have enourmous scope.

darkhorizon11
12-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Yeah the New Guinea map we have now is only the tip of the iceberg compared to the the combat area of New Guinea which was pretty much the whole North Shore.

A Dunkirk, Dieppe, Calais, Lille map would be great also but I doubt we'll see that area until the release of BoB. On the bright side the maps will be a lot larger by the point and hopefully we can get the whole channel in one map. I would even be satisfied if they dropped the map size to 90% so it can stretch from London to Paris.

Same goes for Poland since there is already an add-on on the way for that scenario (although the slovakia map will have a little piece of Poland)

I would still like a Prague area map that covers most of Czechoslovakia personally. Although of intense combat there and IIRC the Germans, Russians, Czechs, Hungarians, Slovakian, British, and the USAAC all flew sorties in this area. Lots of campaign oppurtunity!

But for now, I'm satisfied with what, the map I really can't wait for is Norway, we finally have a home for the Tirpitz and the Beaufighter. Thats gonna be fun!

Kapteeni
01-02-2006, 01:15 AM
I would like to see real Mediterrian/ North Africa Map with and of course even fictional South England/Channel map, but i guess i`ll had to wait till BOB comes...

bear_boradin
01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm with tomtheyak here... Just imagining sitting in an Spitfire LF.Vb low and fast crossing the channel on a rhubarb mission. Just a pair of lone attackers. We hop over the trees that surround a small farm east of Boulogne, by the time Pierre looks up the roar of our Merlins are already echoing down the valley as we go out of site... on our way to a short sharp yet small jab at the hun and then back to Hawkinge in time for tea ans scones... 'Peace o' cake!'

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sturm_Williger
01-03-2006, 06:25 AM
ETO - a decent chunk of France ( it doesn't have to have sea ), to enable expansion of BoF missions.

PTO - I don't know enough, I'll leave the choice to the experts in the theatre.

flyingrabbit
01-23-2006, 06:16 AM
I would vote for "Prague" in a wider range - imagine map with cca 700x700 km with Prague in the West, Wienna in south and Wroclaw in the north.

What do we get from it?

1) campaign against Western Allied raids over all of this territory from cca summer 1944.

2) Russians advancing in spring 1945 to northen Austria (with retreat of Hungarian AF to Austria as well). Russian advance in western Slovakia and eastern half of Czech lands (around Brno). On the Russian side we have also Rumanian AF with Ju 87, Bf 109 G, IAR 80/81 etc!

3) Russians advancing in southern Poland, siege of Wroclaw. Also advance to the south around city of Ostrava.

This is example of more wide area, but you can find in it the territory I am talking about:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=...0000&out.x=7&out.y=6 (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=1800000&Y=6300000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=2000000&out.x=7&out.y=6)