PDA

View Full Version : 4.09 Beta Patch And Vista Problems

dugong
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I reinstalled the beta patch and subsequently have problems. I am running 1946, Vista, AMD 5600 X2, and an 8800GTS. The game starts, gets to the splash screen, and then just dies. No error messages.

Any ideas offhand? Thanks for any help.

dugong
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I reinstalled the beta patch and subsequently have problems. I am running 1946, Vista, AMD 5600 X2, and an 8800GTS. The game starts, gets to the splash screen, and then just dies. No error messages.

Any ideas offhand? Thanks for any help.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
It is most likely the two sound .dll files that come with 4.09. They don't play well with AMD x2's sometimes. Just replace them with the original and all should be well.

dugong
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Now the kicker - Is there an easy way to retrieve those sound files? Or do I have to do a dummy install and then copy them into the patched installation?

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Google around for them, I think when the beta patch came out some people posted those files on the net for just this problem, I don't know of a specific link but I bet they are out there. If you can't find them then you may need to do the extra install. Another option I just thought of, depending on how your system is set up try right-clicking on the sound files, go to properties and see if there is a Previous Versions tab, find one in the list from before the patching and restore it.

dugong
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Urufu -

Do you happen to know the names of those two sound files offhand? I searched, but I could not locate them in the directory. If I knew the names of the files I could locate them easier.

I am downloading the beta patch now, I will open that up to see if I can reverse engineer my search for filenames.

If I can't locate replacement .dll files, I will just reinstall and save the old ones to be copied back into the patched version.

A sincere thanks for all of your help!