PDA

View Full Version : An interesting observation

Catandra
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
The other day, I found myself on the losing side of an aerial battle between myself and 3-5 P-40s over New Guinea (I was in an A6M3). Unable to catch them with speed alone, we seemed to be at an impasse, since they also were reluctant to engage in a turning dogfight. Nonetheless, their numerical superiority meant that the fight could only have one eventual outcome.

I dove into one of the steeper valleys I could find and slowed the plane to about 180-200 knots and flew as close to the terrain as possible, deliberatly staying in the tightest box canyon I could find. Oddly enough, the AI P-40s either couldn't "see" me, or they purposely chose to avoid engaging me in such restricted circumstances. My hope was that they'd try and match my maneuvers and run themselves into the walls of the canyons but they appeared unwilling to participate in my ploy.

In any event, they circled for a while and then gave up, returning to their base. I found the whole situation fascinating.

Catandra
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
The other day, I found myself on the losing side of an aerial battle between myself and 3-5 P-40s over New Guinea (I was in an A6M3). Unable to catch them with speed alone, we seemed to be at an impasse, since they also were reluctant to engage in a turning dogfight. Nonetheless, their numerical superiority meant that the fight could only have one eventual outcome.

I dove into one of the steeper valleys I could find and slowed the plane to about 180-200 knots and flew as close to the terrain as possible, deliberatly staying in the tightest box canyon I could find. Oddly enough, the AI P-40s either couldn't "see" me, or they purposely chose to avoid engaging me in such restricted circumstances. My hope was that they'd try and match my maneuvers and run themselves into the walls of the canyons but they appeared unwilling to participate in my ploy.

In any event, they circled for a while and then gave up, returning to their base. I found the whole situation fascinating.

XyZspineZyX
11-15-2007, 07:17 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I struggled with the opposite of this

They don't "want" to go into the valley....they can't maneuver there, and if they DO got there, they WILL crash