PDA

View Full Version : KI 43 II FM

alert_1
06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
While KI43 I is excellent turner with vey good handling, it seem that KI43 II is totaly diffrent plane, it cant outturn P39D or P40M, very unstable at low speed and high AoA, almost everyone is preffering Ki61 Otsu in 43 planeset. Was KI43II really that wrong or should be flown with different tactic (B&Z perhaps?)

alert_1
06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
While KI43 I is excellent turner with vey good handling, it seem that KI43 II is totaly diffrent plane, it cant outturn P39D or P40M, very unstable at low speed and high AoA, almost everyone is preffering Ki61 Otsu in 43 planeset. Was KI43II really that wrong or should be flown with different tactic (B&Z perhaps?)

Ernst_Rohr
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Nope, the Ki-43II is definitely off a bit.

The Hayabusa was renowned for being a very pleasant easy to fly plane with very docile handling (for a fighter). The Ki-43a reflects that very well. The Ki-43II is very twitchy, and even after the patch, is still a tricky bird.

The II model had better armor protection (which was often removed by the pilots), self sealing tanks, slightly higher speed, and a reflector gunsight. Basically, its a slightly improved Ki-43, but in game it handles very differently. The II has very nasty low speed handling (which it didnt have IRL) and it has a tendency to snap roll and spin that the real Ki-43 did not have.

Also, despite the larger engine (200hp more), the II is much more sluggish than the original, turns worse, climbs worse, and is still pretty lightly built, so it folds up when hit.

I love the Hayabusa, but the II model is a disappointment, its almost a completely different plane. As its modeled now, I prefer the original Ki-43 over the II.

Polyperhon
06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I was curious about what you wrote and I did a bit of testing between the 3 Ki-43 versions and I should disagree.This nasty spin is present in the Ki-43 I also.It is quite tricky to know when this spin is going to appear,indeed in the Ki-43 I you feel a bit safer but you can never be sure.I think that the peculiar position of the elevators has ot do something with that.You feel that the wing can hold the plane the elevators in your back are stalling.If we think that Ki-43 has more weight on the front, oh yes, this not that strange that this happens more frequently on the -II model.Have a look on the A6M too:Their aerodynamic configuration looks similar, with only notable difference the position of the elevators.This helps recovery on the A6M.
The Ki-43 II accelarates faster than all the versions of the A6M and the K-43 I too, at least this is the feeling I get. The A6M is a real pain because doesn't just have slow top speed, doesn't accelerate fast too.I am really surpised that you think that Ki-43-II climbs worse than ki-43-I.Does anyone have any data to show us??