PDA

View Full Version : A SIMPLE AI behavior that would be nice to have

Tater-SW-
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Right now if you set a GATTACK waypoint for an AI without setting a target, you get level bombing. This is great. If the altitude is below a certain value, they refuse to do this, and instead, after the waypoint right before, they execute a pop-up, then do a shallow glide-bomb instead.

Would it be possible to make a "jettison" waypoint where the aircraft would drop the bombs regardless of altitude? No checking to see if it's safe, they simply cross that point, and all the bombs fall off.

It seems like the AI is just too smart, thinking that a low drop will hurt them---they are unaware that parafrags are delayed by drag just for that purpose.

I can get a B-25/A-20 AI to fly in on the deck, no problem---right over the trees like they are supposed to. But it's bloody hard to coax one into dropping the frags, and more than one is a nightmare, and varies if anything at all in the mission changes (AAA, etc).

tater

Tater-SW-
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Right now if you set a GATTACK waypoint for an AI without setting a target, you get level bombing. This is great. If the altitude is below a certain value, they refuse to do this, and instead, after the waypoint right before, they execute a pop-up, then do a shallow glide-bomb instead.

Would it be possible to make a "jettison" waypoint where the aircraft would drop the bombs regardless of altitude? No checking to see if it's safe, they simply cross that point, and all the bombs fall off.

It seems like the AI is just too smart, thinking that a low drop will hurt them---they are unaware that parafrags are delayed by drag just for that purpose.

I can get a B-25/A-20 AI to fly in on the deck, no problem---right over the trees like they are supposed to. But it's bloody hard to coax one into dropping the frags, and more than one is a nightmare, and varies if anything at all in the mission changes (AAA, etc).

tater

Tater-SW-
06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
This would enable skip-bombing as well.

Better would be to have the strafers given a "new" loadout of 4x500lb bombs (which they already have) but call them "skip bombs." If that loadout is picked, have them make a very fast torpedo run on the target, shooting the nose guns, ideally, and drop maybe 1-200 meters from the target. A skip-bomb run is very much just a torpedo attack done fast, with a torpedo that has no power to move on its own. Seems like you could canibalize that already modelled behavior.

Actually, you could do the same with parafrags no that I think of it!

Oleg, what would happen if you "told" the AI that a parafrag bomb was a "torpedo?" Wouldn't it then allow you to drop low?

What if you did the same for a special bomb load I mention above, the only difference between "4x500" and "4x500lb skip bombs" would be that the skip bombs would be considered "torpedo" by the AI.

It wouldn;t work if you "SET" target, since they don't move like torpedos, but you could simply do a gattack without setting target, and they would drop at whatever altitude the plane is flying at!

Seriously, I think it would work, I am going to test dropping torpedos at 20m alt over land, or while moving 400kph on the deck and see what happens.

tater

Tater-SW-
06-11-2005, 01:30 PM
OK, I just did tests with "skip bombing" and "parafragging" targets with torpedos.

The AI Will fly at whatever alt to set it to, straight and level, right down to the deck if the plane is a torpedo plane. They will drop right when you tell them to, and blow themselves up if it is over land (torp detonates killing themselves).

All, that is, except the A-20, Il-2T, and Beau.

Basically, the "fighter" aircraft that happen to carry torps.

So, Oleg, a quick fix for getting the bombers to skip bomb or parafrag (the B-25J and A-20G) would be to:

1. Tell the code they are bombers, or torpedo bombers, NOT fighters.

2. Tell the planes that the "40xparafrag" loadout is a torpedo. Parafrag attacks would now work just like RL.

3. Make a new loadout for the B-25s, and A-20 (Beau, too?) called "4xskip bomb."

4 Tell the planes that "4xskip bob" is a torpedo. Low flying skip-bombers would now drop bombs where you tell them to on gattack without executing a pop-up.

tater

bolillo_loco
06-12-2005, 08:22 AM
tater-sw- baby jesus loves you!

Tater-SW-
06-12-2005, 10:29 PM
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I did some more testing. The A-20s are wierd. A single A-20 flying at 25m (see, I'm even letting them be unrealistically high alt!) coming from the South at Palau, to bomb that line of revetments on the west side of the runway. 350 kph. I can't get him to drop the frags. So I try it with a B-25J. Same settings, works like a champ. Add another B-25 (has to be a new flight, 2d plane in same flight will crah every time at low alt), still works, looking GREAT! Add a 3d, works. OK, so I decide to add a few static planes, just to make it look nice, instead of the empty field it was...

All 3 planes do a pop-up now.

So the AI behavior also depends on the existance of targets at the field. Empty field, and they drop, no problem ('cept the A-20G). Add a single target, and they start acting crazy.

Man, it would be nice to have a simple new waypoint type that would just drop the ord at that point. No AI maneuvers, no nothing, just drop the **** bombs at that point, whatever else is happening---plane crosses waypoint, and bombs fall. That's the easiest solution.

tater

Tater-SW-
06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
More testing observations.

It's easier to get the B-25J to drop at the starting alt I set, but regardless, both the A-20 and the B-25 start climbing as soon as they pickle the bombs.

They should remain in level flight. That's aside from the fact they should be strafing, but you can't have everything, lol.

tater

Tater-SW-
06-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Anyone figured out a way to trick the AI into doing this?

tater