PDA

View Full Version : Voice Packs Request: Please Put English Altitude Calls in Imperials

Nimits
10-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Altitude calls in metets, while one is flying for the Americans or British, is one of the big offline immersion killers. Nobody in the English-speaking aviation community was using metric for anything in the 1940s. We already have the HUD messages with Imperials and metrics simultaneously. For example: 4000 meters displays as, "40 (13,000)." It would be a big help for offline flying if the Actor 1 voices for the US, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand speechpacks could be redone so altitude calls corresspond to Imperial rather than the metric HUD messages. For example, instead of saying "Altitude four zero" for 4000 meters, Actor 1 should say "Altitude one three thousand" or (for the British) "Angels one three." If this could be added to patch 4.02 or the next one, it would be off immense benefit to us offline flyers.

Nimits
10-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Altitude calls in metets, while one is flying for the Americans or British, is one of the big offline immersion killers. Nobody in the English-speaking aviation community was using metric for anything in the 1940s. We already have the HUD messages with Imperials and metrics simultaneously. For example: 4000 meters displays as, "40 (13,000)." It would be a big help for offline flying if the Actor 1 voices for the US, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand speechpacks could be redone so altitude calls corresspond to Imperial rather than the metric HUD messages. For example, instead of saying "Altitude four zero" for 4000 meters, Actor 1 should say "Altitude one three thousand" or (for the British) "Angels one three." If this could be added to patch 4.02 or the next one, it would be off immense benefit to us offline flyers.

G.J.deRue
10-02-2005, 04:44 AM
While I agree that this would be nice, I suspect it requires a large programming effort, hence the bandaid solution we have now with the feet in brackets in the subtitles. I think we'll have to wait for Battle of Britain to be able to use those silly imperial measures.

Vrabac
10-02-2005, 05:35 AM
All it would take is recording some sound files and replacing the existing ones with new . You could even do it yourself with microphone, but it would sound silly I guess, as voices would be different. I really don't see how this could require large programming effort.

Aaron_GT
10-02-2005, 05:51 AM
It's not a simple job (I say this as someone whose voice is in the voice pack) as far as I remember (I just had a look for the script but couldn't found it) the sim builds up the spoken parts in chunks of digits. But if I can find the script I can be sure exactly what is there and what the possibilities are.

marcocomparato
10-02-2005, 11:14 AM
ya totally Aaron. i do this kind of programming and i can tell that the 'logic' that puts together this alt call is actually pretty non-flexible. remember its not the voice. thats just the final product, its the knowing of what altitude to say, which is really set within the editor, which would be substantial to change to our much much less mathematic Imperial system. metric is far cleaner for all forms of math. Our inches and feet and stuff are like a joke. probably just implimented to confuse our enemies when we decided that we would try and take over the world. i dont know.

Vrabac
10-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Well shouldn't it be just to record new files, with imperial instead of metric units? So for example instead of "1000m" put "3000ft" in the voice? I mean, its approximate, but still better than nothing. I mean, you can record "I want a pizza" instead of "Number 3, bandit your 6 o clocl" and it would still work, wouldn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Why would there be need for completly new system?

Nimits
10-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Exactly. Each altitude call is uses only two .wav files from Actor1. The first is the height.wav; for the English-speaking packs at the moment it says "altitude" (which is fine for the US, but the British and Commonwealth packs should really say "Angels"). The second is the .wav that corresponds to whatever number is being used: i.e. 40.wav for 4000 meters (and which currently says "four zero"). There are a total of 21 "number" .wavs, ranging from 01 to 100 in increments of 500 meters. All that has to be done is re-record those meter calls in imperial equivalents (so that they match the imperial, rather than the metric height in the HUD messages) and the height.wav for the British and ANZAZ packs to say "Angels." For example, 40.wav should say "one three thousand (for the Americans) or "one three" (for the British); 10.wav should say "three thousand five hundred" or "three;" 60.wav should say "two zero thousand" or "two zero;" etc.

This involves re-recording 22 files (21 for the Americans) in four voice packs; no prorgramming whatsoever is involved. I could do it myself over a weekend, except, of course my yank voice would sound really weird mixed in with the others, especially ANZAC and British voices. And I run into the same problem substituting altitude calls from other games that did them right. The best I can do is edit and splice .wav files together to do the altitude calls in "flight levels" (i.e. 40.wav would say "one three zero" for 13,000 ft (FL130). Its not a perfect solution, but my point is if I can edit the files to make them use flight levels, they can be re-recorded just as easily to use Angels or thousands of feet. Were talking a few hours of easily doable recording to substitute imperial equivalents of current metric altitudes, not major reprogramming.

Please Oleg, throw us offliners a bone here.

Aaron_GT
10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are a total of 21 "number" .wavs, ranging from 01 to 100 in increments of 500 meters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recorded them all but I couldn't remember whether we said just the individual numbers or pairs of numbers. There were a lot of individual things to record. I'd be willing to rerecord the altitude wavs. Of course there are others that would have to rerecord those parts, plus all the post processing and so on to do to make the new bits sound the same as the current voice pack. Might take some organising to get everyone back together again and I don't have the list of people.

Nimits
10-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Well, that would be great if it could be done. Who would have the contact lists and ability to actually get the files editted, etc.?

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Having participated in the creation of the Dutch speech pack, I can say it is pretty easy to do. You just record some files again, now with the altitude calls in imperial system. Of course make sure you convert the numbers right. Example: Do not say "4000 feet" for the "4000meters" file.

The hard part is to make it sound right. You would need the same actor, and the same mixing of backgroud noises. The fellow that did that with the original speech pack must have his original samples still hanging around somewhere for this to be exactly right.

As I found, it can be quite challenging to find AND motivate a suitable actor.

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Anyways, If Extreme_0ne or THX_3118 would make this for their BoB speech pack, it would be an excellent addition.

Nimits
11-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Any chance of anything happening here?