PDA

View Full Version : Need input on a new computer...



huggy87
08-27-2005, 12:10 PM
It's that time for me again, time to replace my old dell 8200 with something new. I don't need a bleeding edge tweaked and overclocked system to eak out a few more fps. I just want something fast and stable that is upgradeable and will last me another three to four years. I'm looking at the AMD fx-57 or 55, probably a single geforce 7800x, 2 gigs of ram, possibly water cooled. Dell and alienware can make that system for about $3500, voodoo, vicious and other boutiques want closer to $4500. Beyond that I want reasonable custormer service with a decent warranty.

I know a lot of you would try to convince me to build my own, but beyond slapping in a new card or ram I am not interested messing with internals.

I'm looking for anyones recent experience (2005) with gaming machines. Alienware is my #1 choice now, but I have read a few horror stories about buying from them. They have "award winning customer service" but a real shoddy return policy. I know only those with the bad experiences will leave a comment.

Any comments appreciated.

huggy87
08-27-2005, 12:10 PM
It's that time for me again, time to replace my old dell 8200 with something new. I don't need a bleeding edge tweaked and overclocked system to eak out a few more fps. I just want something fast and stable that is upgradeable and will last me another three to four years. I'm looking at the AMD fx-57 or 55, probably a single geforce 7800x, 2 gigs of ram, possibly water cooled. Dell and alienware can make that system for about $3500, voodoo, vicious and other boutiques want closer to $4500. Beyond that I want reasonable custormer service with a decent warranty.

I know a lot of you would try to convince me to build my own, but beyond slapping in a new card or ram I am not interested messing with internals.

I'm looking for anyones recent experience (2005) with gaming machines. Alienware is my #1 choice now, but I have read a few horror stories about buying from them. They have "award winning customer service" but a real shoddy return policy. I know only those with the bad experiences will leave a comment.

Any comments appreciated.

fordfan25
08-27-2005, 12:12 PM
well just go with ailenwear.or ibuypower.com

Major_V
08-27-2005, 12:50 PM
huggy87:

I am in almost the exact same situation as you--am looking to upgrade from my Dell 8200 and am considering almost the same system specs you are (except for liquid cooling, which I fear may create more problems than it solves in the long run). I too was considering Alienware, but have since crossed them off the list--too many non-retail OEM components and poor customer reviews. I have narrowed my choices to two manufacturers--Velocity Micro and ZeusPC. Here is a link to Velocity's gaming rig configurator:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/category.php?cid=12

Both of these manufacturers have generally excellent customer reviews and use retail components. I believe they are a far better value than Alienware.

Good luck.

Major V

blazer-glory
08-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Make your own. Seriously its not that hard and you can pick EXACTLY what goes into to it. Your're save a few pennies plus increase your PC knowledge while doing it. I was scared when I first constructed my first but once you're done it theres no turning back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

huggy87
08-27-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Major_V:
huggy87:

I am in almost the exact same situation as you--am looking to upgrade from my Dell 8200 and am considering almost the same system specs you are (except for liquid cooling, which I fear may create more problems than it solves in the long run). I too was considering Alienware, but have since crossed them off the list--too many non-retail OEM components and poor customer reviews. I have narrowed by choices to two manufacturers--Velocity Micro and ZeusPC. Here is a link to Velocity's gaming rig configurator:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/category.php?cid=12

Both of these manufacturers have generally excellent customer reviews and use retail components. I believe they are a far better value than Alienware.

Good luck.

Major V </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice. Thanks for the tip. I liked their prices, their components, and the fact that a decent warranty was included. That brings me to my only concern, that maybe a small company like this won't be around long enough to actually honor their warranty. Still, it may be better to go with a hungry up-and-comer vice a slick marketing machine like dell and alienware. Please pass on any good review sites if you have them. Let me know how it works out for you.

huggy87
08-27-2005, 05:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazer-glory:
Make your own. Seriously its not that hard and you can pick EXACTLY what goes into to it. Your're save a few pennies plus increase your PC knowledge while doing it. I was scared when I first constructed my first but once you're done it theres no turning back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My hat is off to those of you who can build your own, but I really don't want the hassle. I mean, I could probably build my own car too with enough patience. Sometimes the end does not justify the means. I would rather spend my precious free time playing games than building the machine that runs them.

fordfan25
08-27-2005, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggy87:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blazer-glory:
Make your own. Seriously its not that hard and you can pick EXACTLY what goes into to it. Your're save a few pennies plus increase your PC knowledge while doing it. I was scared when I first constructed my first but once you're done it theres no turning back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My hat is off to those of you who can build your own, but I really don't want the hassle. I mean, I could probably build my own car too with enough patience. Sometimes the end does not justify the means. I would rather spend my precious free time playing games than building the machine that runs them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


guy i know hoe you feel i was the same way. but beleave me its no wear neer as hard as you think. in fact its actualy simple as it can be. operating a pc is much harder than puting one togather. clear you off a spot on the floor and make sure you have all the parts togather. only tool youll realy need is a phillips screwdriver. only thing i have not yet tried is mounting a cpu onto the MOBO wich i hear its not that hard. but i cant realy blame you for not wanting the hassel. the only part that is even remotly confussing is hooking up the case lights and extra things like heat monitiors ect that might come built in the case. wich even that is not to bad at all

Hiriyu
08-27-2005, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by huggy87:

...That brings me to my only concern, that maybe a small company like this won't be around long enough to actually honor their warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they use retail components, then everything should still be covered by the original component manufacturer's warranty, provided that the seller sends you all of the pertinent documentation or materials. Might want to ask them about it.

vocatx
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
I am about the most computer stupid person in the civilized world, and last month I built a new rig for the first time. I had the guys over in community help give me advice on components to get the result I wanted: a good machine with a decent video card, hd, dvd/cd rw, and readily up-gradeable when I need more performance.

The warranty on the components run from one year to five years, and I learned more about computers in the two months of research than I had ever known before.

My machine isn't top-line, more like upper-mid line, but I get very good performance and it didn't cost me two grand either. The motherboard is dual-core cpu compatible, can take four gig of memory, and it is PCIe, so I should be set for quite a while just by plugging some new components in from time to time.

Specs:Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, OCZ 520 watt power supply, K8N Neo 4, AMD 3500+, 180 Gb Hard drive, DVD/CD RW, Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 256 mb video card, and 1 Gb PC 3200 memory. Cost about $1500. I run perfect settings with everything maxed out with almost no stutters, even on the Black Death track.

If I can build one of these rigs, I know anyone can. Besides, think about this: for the most part computers are built in third world countries by people who probably don't know anything more than where to put the component in that they are assigned. Just carefully read the installation instructions for each component and take your time. Took me one evening to assemble, and one to load the software.

FI_Willie
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Might check with Hunter82. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

fordfan25
08-27-2005, 10:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
I am about the most computer stupid person in the civilized world, and last month I built a new rig for the first time. I had the guys over in community help give me advice on components to get the result I wanted: a good machine with a decent video card, hd, dvd/cd rw, and readily up-gradeable when I need more performance.

The warranty on the components run from one year to five years, and I learned more about computers in the two months of research than I had ever known before.

My machine isn't top-line, more like upper-mid line, but I get very good performance and it didn't cost me two grand either. The motherboard is dual-core cpu compatible, can take four gig of memory, and it is PCIe, so I should be set for quite a while just by plugging some new components in from time to time.

Specs:Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, OCZ 520 watt power supply, K8N Neo 4, AMD 3500+, 180 Gb Hard drive, DVD/CD RW, Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 256 mb video card, and 1 Gb PC 3200 memory. Cost about $1500. I run perfect settings with everything maxed out with almost no stutters, even on the Black Death track.

If I can build one of these rigs, I know anyone can. Besides, think about this: for the most part computers are built in third world countries by people who probably don't know anything more than where to put the component in that they are assigned. Just carefully read the installation instructions for each component and take your time. Took me one evening to assemble, and one to load the software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


thats what im talkn about. its kinda fun doing it your self to hu? picking out your own compnents and putting everything togther just the way you want it. i used to feel like STFU to all the guys who told me to build my own but now i would not even think about buyn a prebuilt. specaly seeing as how there are so many was thay can screw you like cheap PSU's ect.

crazyivan1970
08-27-2005, 11:21 PM
You can build something like that for under 3 grand easy...

Give magnum-pc boyz a call... they build gaming rigs out of retail stuff and not some OEM **** and i am not even going to talk about techsupport http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

https://magnum-pc.securewebsiteserver.net/contact_us.ph...60562a0db83a11e0fc57 (https://magnum-pc.securewebsiteserver.net/contact_us.php?osCsid=4efebca2dc9c60562a0db83a11e0 fc57)

Tully__
08-28-2005, 05:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...but beyond slapping in a new card or ram I am not interested messing with internals... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can do that much and get driver installs right, you can build your own. If not, get your local Mom&Pop PC store to build one to your spec...or get MagnumPC to do it as Crazyivan suggests.