PDA

View Full Version : master compass in pe-2

Mackg1
06-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Is the master compass in the pe-2 a waypoint indicator? It only seems to point to my current heading and not the next waypoint.

Mackg1
06-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Is the master compass in the pe-2 a waypoint indicator? It only seems to point to my current heading and not the next waypoint.

nte70
06-10-2006, 04:33 PM
well theres your answer then i think http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
im not sure,but i think the compass and map was the only nav gear ww2 flyers got.or anyone for that matter.radar was a new thing.

Mackg1
06-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Not true. Many of the planes have waypoint commpasses. Most of the luftwaffe and U.S. planes did.

Kernow
06-11-2006, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cold1one:
Not true. Many of the planes have waypoint commpasses. Most of the luftwaffe and U.S. planes did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not quite true either. That implies you could program a route into them and the compass would point to the next waypoint, and that is post-WW2 technology. However, many aircraft could pick up signals from a Non-Directional Beacon (NBD) and this information might be displayed via a needle on a compass card. Not just the technologically advanced Germans and Americans who could use NDBs either; even the backward Brits and Slavs had them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Mackg1
06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
The compass i'm referring to is a REPEATER compass. Which for lack of a better term I have called a waypoint compass. As I only fly LW and US planes I know most of them are equipped with them. Most UK planes are not. This is not an indictment on UK (or Slav?) technological progress. All I want to know is what is the purpose of the Master compass in the PE-2. It is located on the right side of the cockpit. Oleg even has a PDF on how to read it. Is it just a directional compass? Or is it a repeter compass that I haven't figured out how to use?
Thank You

joeap
06-12-2006, 03:13 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not a repeater compass, you already have one next to the gunsight on the front panel. I would guess these were set manually according to the desired heading by the pilot.