PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Shader v2.0 and Vertex Shader v2.0

ILikePortillos
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
How do I know if I have them? And if I don't, how do I find out if I can get them?

I have an nVidia GeForce 5200 graphics card.

Thanks in advance.

ILikePortillos
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
How do I know if I have them? And if I don't, how do I find out if I can get them?

I have an nVidia GeForce 5200 graphics card.

Thanks in advance.

TheRealPotoroo
03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
The NV34 GPU, on which the 5200 is based, supports Shader Model 2 but don't expect anything beyond mediocre performance.

ILikePortillos
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Thank you so much sir. Mediocre is fine with me. ;-) But seriously, I'm planning on getting a new machine next year. At that point, I'd load it up onto there, no problem. I just wanted to know if it would work on my current one, so I can decide to either buy it now, or ask for it for Christmas. :-)

Speaking of which, I was just about to drop 95 clams (U.S.D) on the deluxe edition, when I found out they don't take Discover card! AH! I was this close.

Grrbob25
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
ahhh the Geforce 5200. I had one about 6 months back, and if I recall correctly, it has pixel shader v2.0, and vertex shader 1.3. But I'd seriously upgrade to a better card for playing sh4 if I were you. My 5200 got studdery gameplay on Sh3 even on low settings! (however that may be due in part to the fact that I had a Celeron Processer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif. 512 of ram and Windows 98....)

ILikePortillos
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it has. . .vertex shader 1.3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, so it would not work on my machine then? Good to know.

I think, rather than going out and spending over $100 for a new video card and possibly a new power supply, I'll just wait until I get the new machine next year.

That's a shame. Well, at least it will be cheaper. . .AND patched!

Grrbob25
03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Actually, you can get a decent graphics card for under 100 bucks. Just yesterday I recieved the rebate for a Geforce 7600 GT I purchased from newegg.com, that was only $143 before rebate, and a mere $78 after! However since the Geforce 7600 draws its power from the PCI bus, you need at least a 350w powersupply with 20 amps on the 12 volt rail.

TheRealPotoroo
03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grrbob25:
ahhh the Geforce 5200. I had one about 6 months back, and if I recall correctly, it has pixel shader v2.0, and vertex shader 1.3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You remember incorrectly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However since the Geforce 7600 draws its power from the PCI bus, you need at least a 350w powersupply with 20 amps on the 12 volt rail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 7600GT draws a peak 4A in 3D mode.

Grrbob25
03-09-2007, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealPotoroo:

You remember incorrectly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, you are correct sir! I just found the specs for the card now, and it is Vertex Shader 2.0. I was remembering what the menu for Empire Earth II had told me, but it turns out thats wrong because it still says my 7600 GT has VS 1.3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

TheRealPotoroo
03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grrbob25:
I was remembering what the menu for Empire Earth II had told me, but it turns out thats wrong because it still says my 7600 GT has VS 1.3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Empire Earth II is severely confused. The 7 series cards support Shader Model 3.0.

ILikePortillos
03-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Ahh, you are correct sir! I just found the specs for the card now, and it is Vertex Shader 2.0. I was remembering what the menu for Empire Earth II had told me, but it turns out thats wrong because it still says my 7600 GT has VS 1.3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, it does have v2 and v2! So my system can play it? Cool. I'll get it then. I understand it will be choppy, but like the other guy said, so is SHIII (for me).

And even though you can get a new card for $74 bucks or whatever, I'd have to upgrade the power supply. I'd rather just save up for a new machine and save the bucks for that.

Thanks for all the help folks!

P.S. I just realized that my signature is old. I'm now Captaining U-555 out of Toulon, France (We lost La Spezia). I'll have to correct that.

nastutt
03-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Is anyone else thinking how sad this conversation is? No wonder computer games are going ddown the pan.

TheRealPotoroo
03-13-2007, 05:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ILikePortillos:
And even though you can get a new card for $74 bucks or whatever, I'd have to upgrade the power supply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not necessarily.