PDA

View Full Version : Are these flightsim magazines worth looking for ?

rijnton1944
03-01-2005, 06:18 AM
I saw that there are 2 magazines focussed on flight simulations, Computer Pilot and PC Pilot. However they are difficult to find here in Holland, so I hadn't a possibility to take a look at them.
Is it worth searching for (one of) them, assuming that I am mainly interested in combat flight sims, or are they focused on flight sims in general ?

rijnton1944
03-01-2005, 06:18 AM
I saw that there are 2 magazines focussed on flight simulations, Computer Pilot and PC Pilot. However they are difficult to find here in Holland, so I hadn't a possibility to take a look at them.
Is it worth searching for (one of) them, assuming that I am mainly interested in combat flight sims, or are they focused on flight sims in general ?

Bearcat99
03-01-2005, 07:12 AM
They are both decent magazines.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-01-2005, 07:28 AM
There are more references to civilian flightsims in those mags although they DO cover the combat sims as well. The percentage of combat-sim coverage vs civilian is likely 85%civ/15%combat.

There are articles/reviews/good website info on many things relevant to the genre, but much is geared towards obscure, add-on planes, maps etc,.

I pick one up now and then, but don't subscribe to any of them. (I do subscribe to Flight Journal and Aviation History though)

TB

LeadSpitter_
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
both are good but like most magazines next months issue has half the pages of the previous months issue.

Skycat_2
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
The real draw of both magazines is that each issue comes with a CD-ROM full of patches, utilities, demos, and free mods and skins collected from the web or submitted to the publishers directly. Beyond that, the articles are largely product reviews and development previews. As can be expected, much of the space for either magazine is filled with advertisements for joysticks, TrackIR, panels, peripherals, add-ons, etc.

By and large, I'd agree that both titles are marketed mostly towards the civilian flight simulator market with heavy emphasis on the Microsoft Flight Simulator series. There are some good reviews, articles and tutorials relevant to combat simulations however.

flyplenty
03-01-2005, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:
[...] they are difficult to find here in Holland, so I hadn't a possibility to take a look at them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm in Holland too, and my local bookshop has PC Pilot regularly. Some bookshops have more choice than others. Anyway, I think you'd have to look at each issue to decide if it's worth your money - it depends on the articles. The last issue had a feature article about Pacific Fighters as well as the latest patch for FS2004 (which my dad has), so I bought it for once. It's mostly about FS add-ons and enhancements, as far as I could see from the one issue. A Spitfire add-on for FS2004 (with a great flight model, if I'm to believe the article) doesn't make FS a combat sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, so I wouldn't buy it every time - just occasionally, maybe.

1.JaVA_Hornet
03-02-2005, 03:56 AM
You can order it online!!!

A friend of mine gets it always over the post.

And here in Rotterdam i can buy it if I
search for it.

Martin van Vuuren
Rotterdam
The Netherlands

Billy_BigBoy
03-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Try the bookshops at the trainstations. They have PC pilot.
But IMO it's not the price worth, most of the articles concerning payed addons for MSFS, but check it out for your self I'd say.

rijnton1944
03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
1.JaVA_Hornet, I live near Rotterdam (in Berkel en Rodenrijs, where they don't sell it), so I am in Roterdam within 1/4 hour. Where in Rotterdam, preferrable center of town) is it available and are both magazines ?

Stackhouse25th
03-02-2005, 05:22 PM
all it is: its professional advertising, with a cost to it. You can get more just by looking at web sites all around.

Billy_BigBoy
03-03-2005, 12:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:
1.JaVA_Hornet, I live near Rotterdam (in Berkel en Rodenrijs, where they don't sell it), so I am in Roterdam within 1/4 hour. Where in Rotterdam, preferrable center of town) is it available and are both magazines ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rijnton1944, I know the book store at the central station has the latest copy of pcpilot (In the back of the shop, around the corner to the right).
Where the do have Computer Pilot, I don't know, maybe 1.JaVA_Hornet knows.
I agree with Stackhouse 25th concerning Pcpilot, although they do have some nice articles and gadget updates, so at least take a look yourself.