PDA

View Full Version : ATI 9800 Radeon Mobility & BF2

VC81_GLIDER
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Just a word of caution to everyone out there. I did a foolish thing. My Video Card, an ATI 9800 Radeon Mobility w/ 256M, was not on the Battlefield 2 card list, though the non-mobility version was listed. I went ahead with installing BF2 and it completely hosed my card. I was getting serious lag even at the lowest of video settings. In FS2004 I was getting frame rates of 5 FPS!! I finally had to send my laptop back to Dell and get the vid card replaced before it would function properly again. It did some sort of an update to the card that I could not undo. I even reformatted my hard drive and started over to no avail.

So a word to the wise... do not install BF2 if you are using an ATI Mobility Card. Some of the newer games such as BF2 or Brothers in Arms list specific cards for requirements. Install these at your own risk.

VC81_GLIDER
10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Just a word of caution to everyone out there. I did a foolish thing. My Video Card, an ATI 9800 Radeon Mobility w/ 256M, was not on the Battlefield 2 card list, though the non-mobility version was listed. I went ahead with installing BF2 and it completely hosed my card. I was getting serious lag even at the lowest of video settings. In FS2004 I was getting frame rates of 5 FPS!! I finally had to send my laptop back to Dell and get the vid card replaced before it would function properly again. It did some sort of an update to the card that I could not undo. I even reformatted my hard drive and started over to no avail.

So a word to the wise... do not install BF2 if you are using an ATI Mobility Card. Some of the newer games such as BF2 or Brothers in Arms list specific cards for requirements. Install these at your own risk.

VW-IceFire
10-13-2005, 09:21 PM
That really doesn't sound possible...

Any details from the tech department as to what they did? A game should not have the ability to influence your hardware in that manner...